Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ax10 with losi shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #1

Unhappy ax10 with losi shocks

Hi all hope you can help i have an axial ax10 and kept breaking shocks so i went to my local hobby shop and they told me to go with the losi rock crawler shocks. so i bought a set but they are 1" shorter than the stock ones. I called them and they said that it would lower the center of gravity. but i will also lose ground clearance. What should I do? One more thing if these are the best shocks for me how do i mount the shocks on the top side. Any other set up or mods that i should do please let me know as I am a nubeeee
fordrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Several are running 4" losi shocks so do some searching. Fuel tubing will allow you to mount the shock body part. Are you sure the stock shocks are 5"? I don't remember them being that long. It's the eye to eye you want to measure. I thought there was a 1/2" difference. Try running the Losi's, lower and less articulation can actually be a good thing. You can always add longer rod ends too.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

here's how I done it. just cut off the top bracket and drill a hole and screw on a rodend. It'll get you some length back also. The shortness of these shocks will usually put you at good belly clearance though (around 2.5") So dont sweat the lenght of them but like I said the rodend will give you some length back. Good luck
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I like that chassis JKelley ,is it home made?
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks,I just got finished making it Friday on the waterjet at work and also made the double tri skid plate and both front and back 4 link plates I never imagined a degree in machine tool would have me making RC parts. A buddy of mine chops1sc(rcc name) took all the time doing the measurements and all I just took the time to make them. the chassis is also only 55mm. wide so the motor pokes out the side a bit but thats the price you pay for a narrow chassis
Old 09-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Change out the rod ends on the shocks for dubro monster links. There longer than most links and should give ya so more hight.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I think the traxxas jato rodends are pretty long and may bring it just about to stock lenth. I use traxxas rodends on mine because they are interchangeable with axial rodends. The balls for axial also fit the traxxas rodends. Thats always a plus.Here are the link for the rodends I use. they are much stronger than stock also.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJJ81&P=ML
Old 09-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

heres the link for the longer traxxas rodends for the jato. they work the same just longer.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKMD6&P=7
Old 10-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

i just got those jato ends and they are the wrong inner diameter for the shock threads, too big
guapotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have seen some guys using those dubro monster links...There is only a half inch difference in the stock ax10 and the losi crawler shock..Should be able to find some way to make that up...Maybe drill new shock mount holes?....
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

can somebody give us some def part numbers for these rod ends?? i have the traxxus ends that everyone says use and- jato ends = too big, cant find the hpi 85050 ends( anyone know exactly what these are?), thats not how they list them anyway, and cant seem to find the dubro stuff either, i have been trying to figure this out for a few weeks and have to order all my parts, and here i am again needing to order the right parts to try and get these mounted, no LHS around here
Old 10-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

the hpi savage shock rebuild kit has longer ends that will fit the losi shocks ,also drill a new mounting hole 1/4 inch doown on the chassis you should be about the stock hight,just dont remember th part # for it,sorry
LEROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFPW8&P=M
these?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapotaco View Post
cant find the hpi 85050 ends( anyone know exactly what these are?)
I believe this is what they are using as the HPI 85050 rod ends:
HPI Rod Ends
DrewGzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPCV8&P=SM
this set? same balls as axial, traxxus stuff?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewGzy View Post
I believe this is what they are using as the HPI 85050 rod ends:
HPI Rod Ends
thats cheaper than what i found, same ball sizes as above?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #17

I actually just did a search for "HPI 85050" and thats what I found.....I am not exactly sure which ones would be better or correct.
DrewGzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I ONLY use Losi shocks, and you need HPI part number 85050. The lower rod end will give you some length, and the spring perches will hold the spring in place much better than the Losi spring perches. The Losi crawler shocks and HPI 85050 is the perfect combination for your rig. To mount them, you can just use fuel tubing and a bolt, in fact Losi includes the tubing that you need in the package with the shocks. The TLT1 standoffs work great, those are what I use although they can be hard to find.

That should give you just the right ground clearance without using any internal spacers. It's a nice balance between ground clearance and low center of gravity. If you want more length you can do the "Tanis" mod and put a long rod end on the top of the shock as well, but I don't think its needed with an Axial.

Last edited by CharliesTheMan; 10-14-2008 at 03:02 PM.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

just ordered those ends and parts for the savage, do the axial and traxxus balls work in these ends? they dont come with any balls, anybody need some useless to me jato ends? i want to wait til i get the swx chassis but really want to get these mounted up and see how it works with the stock chassis
Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #20
RCC Addict

My Gatekeepers Designs GC2
Tanis did a nice little write up on a great mod for Losi shocks. Just another option for you to try.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote