Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Buying RTR vs Buying Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Buying RTR vs Buying Parts

ok quick question i need an esc rims axles tranny and servo to do my build but since buying seperatly not all items would be in stock like a complete tranny or axles and a rooster crawler esc is 95 bucks so would it be better to just buy the AX10 RTR since it has all of the stuff i need? and would the ESC be as good as the Rooster?
Tonelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Dont get the RTR for the simple fact that you WILL upgrade everything on the crawler and that $220 you spent could be put to good use somewhere else. You can buy a nice used crawler with all the upgrades you want in the classifieds here or on ebay for $300.
Also, the stock esc is no comparison to a rooster and for 5 more dollars I would suggest you get an fx-r for the small size, 9cell battery limit and adjustable brakes.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

build up your own, with the upgrade parts. RTR /ARTR is a big no no, in my opinion.

you get the bonus of having to put it together, making it easier to troubleshoot problems down the road.

get the parts you want, not a grave yard of parts you dont.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

WEll, I got the RTR. Was a mistake... For a new builder their great! That was my situation. To start with something to go off of and learn from. If your new to it you may want to go this rought, just know that it will be costing ou extra money to upgrade. All the stock elctronics are gone on myn. Allong with lower and upper links. In the long run the ARTR or starting from scratch is definatly the way to go. But if your new the ARTR or RTR isent to bad because you have something to go from. Just know when you replace all the parts, its going to be an extra $150 more or so.
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #5

I agreed. RTR and ARTR kits are waste of money. You will upgrade! spend some time here and read up on some of the threads and look at the classified section so you will get an idea of what things are selling for so you won't get ripped off. Decide on what you want and then be patience shopping for the parts.

Do you want to just bash around or wants to compete? Ebay is a good source too. Look for someone who has lost interest and selling the whole truck, you can get a deal that way too. I've bought 2 crawlers that way and spent less than 1/2 of what I would if purchased everything separate. I'd suggest talk to the seler and ask lot of questions. The legit one will have no problem helping you out. Lots of great guys here. Buyer Beware! Know what your looking for. Good luck!

Last edited by lv2crawl; 10-03-2008 at 08:03 AM.
lv2crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #6

yea the rtr is a waste of money i bought one about a month ago and so far only think left stock for now is the axles and drive shafts..i wish i shoulda bought seperate parts and then built it, so far i got mfm chassis rooster crawler esc and 55t motor spektrum hi torq servo aluminum links lipos rims n tires right an som other lil stuf that i made for it, now i have enough parts to make another crawler minus axles and drive shafts but that will change here pretty quik lol
pipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I see a few of you don't like the ARTR....Why? Aside from the fact thats it comes pre assembled what do you think is wrong with it?
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #8

If you plan on upgrading parts and changing out to a different chassis definitely buy the parts seperate. You can get the complete tranny for like $36 and both complete axles for $75. Or you can find them used.

I am a huge believer of buying used. I've gotten some smokin deals here in the classified. You can find a roller or complete RTR and save money.
blt-2-drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy View Post
I see a few of you don't like the ARTR....Why? Aside from the fact thats it comes pre assembled what do you think is wrong with it?
For one the leaky shocks...too high of a ride height...LCG is the chassis to go...I've bought the ARTR to begin with didn't like it @ steep inclines or sidewall it always rolled...then went with a warthog tuber for LCG looks, heaviness looks, did I say looks? yeah I did... and still it was garbage...I bolted everthing from the ARTR to the Warthog...everything got replaced except for the axle...still Warthog was garbage, only for looks...look into LCG chassis like the CDW1.0, Slingshot, Axial BENDER,...etc...IMHO build it from scratch and get the quality parts you need...Lockout complete axles are the first to start with and go from there...good luck on your quest in building the ultimate crawler...If not go for the HOT RACING MOA Axle
slip408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I got the RTR a couple of months ago because I wanted a complete truck to mess around with right away. I couldn't afford to spend the money to buy a radio ESC, servo, and motor, so the RTR was the entry ticket to get going immediately. If I had wanted to wait a few more weeks to save enough money for the other stuff, I probably would have gotten the ARTR. I think the ARTR is a pretty good deal for the guy who isn't a model-builder and doesn't want to assemble the whole thing from scratch. The ARTR has bent links and much better tires than the kit, and I think it's got a better (and pre-painted) body.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I would have to disagree with some; the ARTR is a bargain. I'm not new to RC so not building it didn't hurt me. It comes with good tires, HD lockers, and bent rear links. Yes, OTB it doesn't crawl amazingly, but what RTR/ARTR crawls as well as it does? The ARTR is like a ball of clay that is ready for molding while the kit is the powdered mix of clay. If you know how to make clay, just buy it already made and then do some molding!

ETA:
Good point XPLORx4, the body is nicer too.
DLE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I agree with you bigboy, It's a great entry level crawler. Get the artr or rtr to see if you like this crawlin thing or not. yes you might spend a little more money on upgradin, but it will give knowledge of building a crawler. have you seen the prices of these special chassis? Nothing wrong with these chassis they are a work of art buying crawlers on ebay is great but you never know what your goin to get,If you're like me you want to know what you've got.
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

ok i guess i should have mentioned that i was going to scrap almost all the parts and just use the axles, tranny, esc ,shocks ,RX TX, rims, and anything else that was usefull and make my own links frame and what not, i figured i would gett all the stuff i needed in one shot to do a custom build and figured it would be cheaper to get the rtr since ive only got like 300 bucks
Old 10-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I think the ax10 kit and the ARTR would be great places to start for someone new........I have picked up many half built or improperly built rc's very cheap from guys that are new and trying to start out way beyond their rc comprehension. If you start with something simple you can grow into it and have the joy of upgrading to the parts you like and not what others like.......Don't spend a ton of money on parts you know nothing about only to find out you just spent hundres of dollars on something your not happy with..

Besides, if you really get hooked you will upgrade or change things regardless of how good the rig is...Maybe thats just me????
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

heres my last build with my wheely king

i want to see if i can do better with the rtr
Old 10-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLORx4 View Post
I got the RTR a couple of months ago because I wanted a complete truck to mess around with right away. I couldn't afford to spend the money to buy a radio ESC, servo, and motor, so the RTR was the entry ticket to get going immediately. If I had wanted to wait a few more weeks to save enough money for the other stuff, I probably would have gotten the ARTR. I think the ARTR is a pretty good deal for the guy who isn't a model-builder and doesn't want to assemble the whole thing from scratch. The ARTR has bent links and much better tires than the kit, and I think it's got a better (and pre-painted) body.
That's my reason for getting one. I just want something to mess around with to see if I actually like doing this or not. For upgrading it later I'll just purchase what I need. I can make my own chassis and links, I would just need to buy stuff I can't make, like the electronics.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I agree with most here.....I have an Axial I built from scratch and just bought an RTR for my kids to use. I immediately had to replace the stock servo and steering linkage as it was totally useless for crawling. Also the stock ESC doesn't have drag brake and doesn't do well for crawling.

Your best bet is to build it from scratch using good products......besides I think the build is at least half the fun of this hobby.
-w-designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Default !!!

I too agree the build is fun.I had the AX-10 kit when it was first released.Sold it on ebay and just recently picked up the new ARTR.I personaly like the ARTR.Mine was well built with no problems-so whoever is assembling them is doing it right.Axial gives you three flavors of Rock Crawlers to choose from.Pick what you want!!!

Last edited by RiderZ; 10-03-2008 at 04:49 PM.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonelock View Post
ok i guess i should have mentioned that i was going to scrap almost all the parts and just use the axles, tranny, esc ,shocks ,RX TX, rims, and anything else that was usefull and make my own links frame and what not, i figured i would gett all the stuff i needed in one shot to do a custom build and figured it would be cheaper to get the rtr since ive only got like 300 bucks
In my opinion, you're keeping some of the wrong stuff if you're doing your own build. The only things I would keep if I were doing a custom build would be the tranny and axles. The RTR servo is weak, the ESC isn't very robust, the radio is too basic, and the motor is way too fast for crawling. The tires aren't very good either. Furthermore, the stock steering links are plastic, so they've got to go too. The springs are way too stiff and the shocks will start wearing out shortly too.

So, basically, you're paying way too much for the basic components for a custom build. If you really want to build your own crawler, 300 bucks isn't going to be enough to get it done right.

I started with an RTR, but it's come a long way since I opened the box. I've replaced the upper and lower links and steering rods with aluminum ones, the steering servo, the radio, the ESC, the tires, and the shocks. Just about the only thing I haven't replaced are the wheels, the axles, tranny, chassis and body (which is probably going to get replaced in a couple of weeks, too.)
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLORx4 View Post
In my opinion, you're keeping some of the wrong stuff if you're doing your own build. The only things I would keep if I were doing a custom build would be the tranny and axles. The RTR servo is weak, the ESC isn't very robust, the radio is too basic, and the motor is way too fast for crawling. The tires aren't very good either. Furthermore, the stock steering links are plastic, so they've got to go too. The springs are way too stiff and the shocks will start wearing out shortly too.

So, basically, you're paying way too much for the basic components for a custom build. If you really want to build your own crawler, 300 bucks isn't going to be enough to get it done right.

I started with an RTR, but it's come a long way since I opened the box. I've replaced the upper and lower links and steering rods with aluminum ones, the steering servo, the radio, the ESC, the tires, and the shocks. Just about the only thing I haven't replaced are the wheels, the axles, tranny, chassis and body (which is probably going to get replaced in a couple of weeks, too.)

thats exactly what i was looking to find out, thx for saving me some cash on junky servos and radio gear, guess ill just have to slowly pick up parts, allready got the tranny next is axles.