Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Shocks on my AX10 with Black Widow chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #1

Default Shocks on my AX10 with Black Widow chassis

So I got a Black Widow chassis and migrated all my hardware over to it and now I am wondering about shocks. The current setup has the same bent links I was using before and everything works really well right now but I don't seem to have much droop, and it's still a little tight. I'm wondering what shocks other people with the Black Widow chassis are using. I just bought some Losi White springs. They aren't in front of me, but I think they are 2.5" long and rated at 1.8 on the stiffness. My articulation is fine, but it all just seems a little too stiff. I'm re-arranging the links to see if different setups work better, but so far I think it's down to the shocks.

I'm also running Axial bent aluminum links in the rear and the front is a little shorter, giving me even more forward weight bias and center of gravity. I wonder if that too may be causing a little more stiffness in the front.
austinquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I 'm running into the same problem. I got my B.W. together and it seems a little stiff. I'm using 100mm shocks with the white losi springs in the front and yellow losi springs rear. I'm using the delrin links from MFM racing for the lowers and stock upper links mounted to custom 4link plates. I was running the same shock/spring setup with all stock links on my ax10 and it was working really well. I haven't got a chance to any tuning on it yet, but I am not real sure what to do.
RotaryRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i have a B.W and im still playn with the shocks iv seen people using revo shocks or jato and maxx shocks...mfm says the best one for this chassis is the rustler shocks so im gona get those this week an some revo shocks and tinker with it some more ill let u guys jno what works good.
ENZLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It took a while to get my Widow dialed in, but basically SOFT SOFT SOFT is the way to go with this chassis. I'm using Maxx shocks and I limited the travel internally. The softest maxx springs were too stiff in the front, but they work great in the rear. For fronts, I had to use a super soft spring that I actually found on my sons New Bright Rubicon.

After you get it really soft, then you need to slow it down with thick shock oil.

Mine is smooth now... all the way through the travel.

EDIT: It also helps if you are double triangulated in the front and rear (no parralel links)

Lowers should be like this \/ uppers like this /\

Neither lowers or uppers should be like this | |

Last edited by Harvo; 10-14-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Traxxas Rustler front shocks all the way around are what I've been using all along with great results....
You could go with the Losi's, too. But they're overpriced IMO.
MFM Racing recommends what shocks to use in the first post of the first page of his vendor thread for the chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFM Racing View Post
Here is what we suggest: Front rustler shocks: sprung. Losi crawler shocks: sprung. MAXX size shocks: sprung. Axial shocks: droop.

For best performance, use front rustler shocks.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I am running losi 4 inchers limited about 1/4 to 1/2 inch internally. I am running losi whites in the front and reds in the rear. I started out with yellows but the reds do well with off-camber climbs. I am running both front and rear in the second hole back.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #7

Default Just what I was looking for...

Thanks for the input guys! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I am running full triangulation with the uppers and lowers reversed, but I think I'm going to try the different shocks as you guys suggested. My front uppers were kind of long and it was tilting my axle to far forward so I shortened them and now I'm in good shape. I think the overall length of my front arms all together are making for a little more stiff setup, so I'm going to experiment with adding length to the front links as I take it out of the rears. They are definitely not equal length, but I thought I would try it this was and see. I'll keep everyone updated with my progress...and I'll post some pictures so you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. Thanks again!
austinquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcarter View Post
I am running losi 4 inchers limited about 1/4 to 1/2 inch internally. I am running losi whites in the front and reds in the rear. I started out with yellows but the reds do well with off-camber climbs. I am running both front and rear in the second hole back.
Where do you buy different Losi spring rates from?
liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

RPP
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcarter View Post
RPP
Can you provide a link, I can't find them.
liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

just got my black widow and ran the stockers with full droop, 50wt, took first place at tonight local comp, setup worked great.
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #12

I think you should run the same setup as that guy Brian who is alaways on the podium. His squeeky crawler rocks Great job 2 nite
hellsowl is offline   Reply With Quote