Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Weight Debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Weight Debate

Weight...is good and bad.

What are your thoughts on weight in relation to setting up your crawler?

Some run Ni Cads on the front axle while others have lighter LiPos. Some add weight to their wheels or run heavy wheels.

I see many different setups that are very different in the way of weight distribution.

Weight is good for traction but at the same time you now need more traction to pull the extra weight.

Where the weight is located is far more important. Weight down low will lower your center of gravity, the lower it is the better. That's why the wheels are the best place to have weight. It increases traction and lowers your COG.

Does anyone add weights to any other part of the crawler? I see the HD gear set made of steel as a good way to lower the COG since it is at a low point on the crawler. Is it worth $50 to do this?

What are your thoughts on weight? Is going lite or heavy the way to go?

How did you set your crawler up?

What works the best for a sprung setup?

Mine is heavy Mayhem wheels and 6 4/5SC Ni Cads on the front. No additional weight.
LoveToROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i like weighted front wheels..seams to give me the traction needed to get up the vertical stuff. lite above the top of the axles heavier below is my prefrence
stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I run a heavy edge and I just finished a light TLT. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The Edge has gobs of traction and excellent side hilling ability, but can get bound up in tight rocks. The TLT doesn't side hill as well but kind of floats over the rocks. I was really impressed by it's ability.
Esteban86K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This has been a great debate for some time now. I feel that weight is a necessary componet of a great crawler build. To much weight can kill your rigs performance as well. I always run enough weight to cycle my suspension well. I feel that weight in the wheel is the only way to go. The weight is better off non-moving IMO as opposed to non consistant moving weight. I am running meyhem 7's w/no weights with comp rings, six cell nimh saddle on front axle. I believe the 7's weigh in @ 5oz's a peice. I also run double memory foams in the front panthers and a axial /memory foam combo in the rear. The heavy duty ring and pinions do add weight low but also add strength.

Last edited by Bananaclip; 10-16-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: text
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #5

i moved my motor, gearbox and dig ahead 1 inch. that worked very well for me.
banchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Balance my brothers... balance is the way to go. Heavy or light depends on your springs and what it takes to pull your wheels back down to the ground.

If you are too heavy in front (like I have seen alot) you will sink your nose into holes in the rocks that a more balanced rig would float over.

I like to set mine up so that when I'm crossed up at max flex, I can balance the opposite two wheels in the air. I also like my trucks to be able to back up anything they can climb forward.

I recently softened my springs and dropped about 2 lbs. of weight. The truck does much better lighter than heavy... but not too light
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Balance my brothers... balance is the way to go. Heavy or light depends on your springs and what it takes to pull your wheels back down to the ground.

If you are too heavy in front (like I have seen alot) you will sink your nose into holes in the rocks that a more balanced rig would float over.

I like to set mine up so that when I'm crossed up at max flex, I can balance the opposite two wheels in the air. I also like my trucks to be able to back up anything they can climb forward.

I recently softened my springs and dropped about 2 lbs. of weight. The truck does much better lighter than heavy... but not too light

X 2 I think Kev has it all figured out
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Hmm maybe but I like more weight on the front. Then useing your hole ex instead of floating I have 3 tires for traction instead of 2.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i prefer heavy and as much as i can put up front. im running the mayhem alluminum comp heavys and all my electricronics on the front links. im at 9-10 pounds and my balance point is on yhe front links.

its all in what you prefer and what your drivein style is.
killa b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa b View Post
im at 9-10 pounds
Break Much ?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I think a lot of us are in the 9 lb range, and no we don't break much.
1tom2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

i am running 7oz in front and 3.5 in back seems to work well, also just got a mfm black widow chassis that moved the tranny forward a bit, worked great got 1st instead of 3rd or 4th at our local track.
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

it all depends on the drivers preference but I like my rigs to be a little on the heavy side. I run DNA snipers and with the foams and tires they weigh 14.8oz each up front and 13.2 in the rear. I also have 6oz of stick on weights on my front axle. It gets stupid traction and is very stable.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i run 7 oz of weight in the front wheels with a small lipo on the front axle. all electronics go in front of the motor. bottom line is that lighter is better and weight in the rear holds you down on climbs.

Quote:

bta and lock dig out of any hole, no prob
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

acctually the only thing ive broke was the rear lock out on the axial. the straight axel conversion took care of that. also all the weight makes for a very stable and capable rig.
killa b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcarter View Post
This has been a great debate for some time now. I feel that weight is a necessary componet of a great crawler build. To much weight can kill your rigs performance as well. I always run enough weight to cycle my suspension well. I feel that weight in the wheel is the only way to go. The weight is better off non-moving IMO as opposed to non consistant moving weight. I am running meyhem 7's w/no weights with comp rings, six cell nimh saddle on front axle. I believe the 7's weigh in @ 5oz's a peice. I also run double memory foams in the front panthers and a axial /memory foam combo in the rear. The heavy duty ring and pinions do add weight low but also add strength.
... and the "great debate" continues on...
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

9-10 lbs? really? I just went from a 6lb rig to a 5lb rig and the differance is amazing. I am still trying to figure a way to lose more weight I run a torsion MOA truck, maybe each design likes different amounts of weight.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:00 AM   #18
RCC Addict

i run 8 in front on each and 3 in rear. you just have to find that balance, try and retry. i think this is pretty relevant to your shock setup too.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
9-10 lbs? really? I just went from a 6lb rig to a 5lb rig and the differance is amazing. I am still trying to figure a way to lose more weight I run a torsion MOA truck, maybe each design likes different amounts of weight.
See now... I experienced the same thing. I went from no weight, straight to a pound for each wheel. The traction was great (!) but when I dropped back to about half that for each wheel combo... I saw huge improvements.

Traction was still there, but the difference in how it handled over the rocks was like dancing with a hottie instead of a hippo.

To each his own... but if you were one like me who went from no weight to a ton of weight because people on here said "the more the better" ... it's worth a try going a little lighter. Afterall... testing setups is all part of the fun aint it
Old 10-17-2008, 05:04 AM   #20
RCC Addict

The weight really depends on you chassis and link setup allot...With some chassis I have had to run 2lbs in the front to keep it down :-( With my current setup I dropped almost all the weight,,just 5 oz in each front and 0 in the rear and I run my lipo on the rear axle to give me better balance I can still climb a 60 degree or more vert and never lift a front tire..If you get the rig setup right and then you can just use weight to balance it..
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote