Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: free suspension mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default free suspension mod

As everyone knows the stock springs on the axial are very stiff. On my artr I took the spring retaners off the bottom of the shocks and it works very well. The trucks links are now level with ground but the shocks can still extend for flex. This mod also softens the suspension alot. I like this mod and it is also free, try it for yourself
rider12693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

i really think you will change this back after awhile.if i were to do this on my crawler it would just add more torque twist. the spring is still as stiff as it was. the mod would add alot of slop in the springs and would not be smooth at all. i dont think this is the way you want to lower your ride height just my 2 cents
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
i really think you will change this back after awhile.if i were to do this on my crawler it would just add more torque twist. the spring is still as stiff as it was. the mod would add alot of slop in the springs and would not be smooth at all. i dont think this is the way you want to lower your ride height just my 2 cents
not only that but imo it would look kinda goofy

and as everyone knows,

its really whats on the outside that counts
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
I tried this out for a day and like HardHead said, it caused more torque twist and caused things to be to unpredictable and unsmooth. Good Luck though.
GaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I don't run any spring spacers on my stock shocks either.
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

if you like that setup, you might try eliminating the outside spring ang going to your local hardware store get a couple of small springs that would fit on the inside of the shock body and play around with that, it cheap. i.e. droop or part droop.
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
RCC Addict

more torque twist, and too much slop in shock plus less control when shocks unloads.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmith512 View Post
if you like that setup, you might try eliminating the outside spring ang going to your local hardware store get a couple of small springs that would fit on the inside of the shock body and play around with that, it cheap. i.e. droop or part droop.
Not sure how good it would work on the AX10, but I've read of people doing scale stuff using the springs from pens inside the shocks and it working pretty good.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
I don't run any spring spacers on my stock shocks either.
He's not talking about pre-load spacers. He means the retaining cups that sit above the ball-end, at the end of the shaft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider12693 View Post
...I took the spring retaners off the bottom of the shocks...
...which I wouldn't recommend, really. Those retaining cups hold the spring in place. I would snip a few coils off the springs before I ran the shocks without the retainers.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

To reduce my torque twist i put a preload spacer in the left rear shock still with out the spring retainer and it works pretty good.
rider12693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #11

I eliminated my twist by going with the tcs 4 link plates and moving my lower links inboard with home made delrin skid,droop front, sprung rear with medium internal springs ....works great.
seabass17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass17 View Post
I eliminated my twist by going with the tcs 4 link plates and moving my lower links inboard with home made delrin skid,droop front, sprung rear with medium internal springs ....works great.
the tcs 4 links are sick^^^^ and only 20 bucks
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:53 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider12693 View Post
To reduce my torque twist i put a preload spacer in the left rear shock still with out the spring retainer and it works pretty good.
people do this and change oil too, put higher number in, which is only a temp fix. link geometry and motor placement i think contribute a lot.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote