Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: chassis confusion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default chassis confusion

So iam kinda new to this r/c crawler thing and i have made quite a few mods to my ax10. The one thing i cant seem to bring myself to do is buy a aftermarket chassis. What are the benifits of changing? To me it seems to mount the shocks in a differant position but that all i can really see. Any thoughts.
mac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Many of the aftermarket chassis are lower slung, for lower center of gravity. Their also narrower to help get in tighter spaces. Improved link triangulation for better articulation. are some of the reasons for an aftermarket chassis. there are many chassis out there and you will have to do some research them to find the best fit for what you want to do.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

different chassis alow different shock mounts link mounts and some chassis are narrower than others...i am also new to crawling i used to race 8th scale buggies but i found that i had way mor fun crawling than racing gas cars'..any ways there are different types of chassis like the top banana and the gc1 or gc2 or swx and so on, i run a mfm black widow and it is a big differance from the stock chassis to me any ways i liked it so much i got another 1 for my brothers ax10..it is a narrow chassis an compact style and slides right over rocks and in between them...im not sayn to get a blackwidow but it is a great chassis and very affordable its 40 buks...but basically pick what chassis u like the best and what works good for u thats what i did.hopfully this helps you out oh and mfm does hav very good costomer support oh an one other thing the mfm blackwidow comes with the lower derlin links so all u need is the revo ball joint things off of the revo push rods i bought the revo 102 mm push rods ther like 25 buks for 4 but i put those on for lower links but i took them off an used the mfm derlin links and they seem to work better for me...hop this helps u out...
ENZLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

ok iam starting to get the big picture but if you are lowering it are you not losing ground clearance or is it not that big of a deal?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Keeping your weight low and your articulation predicatable is much more important than clearance. I'd shoot for a max of 3" of ground clearance when the truck is sitting on a flat surface.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac67 View Post
ok iam starting to get the big picture but if you are lowering it are you not losing ground clearance or is it not that big of a deal?
You may lose ground clearence, it's all in how you set it up. Alot of newer guys shy away from limiting there suspension and lowering there ground clearence cause they think more articulation is better, give it a shot and see what works for you. It's all tryal and error till you find what works for you.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

with my blackwidow im sitting at 2 1/4 in and my max is about 3 1/2 im full droop with spacers under the shock piston works well
ENZLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

You guys are awsome! Thanks for all the info. I have been focusing on trying to keep a lot of ground clearance and tons of travel but iam gonna try some diffferant set ups tonite.See what i can do
Old 10-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i myself have a new chassis on the way as well. a must have upgrade in my book!as far as what everybody is saying limited articulation and lower belly clearance do help alot! im a little under 2 1/2 belly clearance
crawldad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
RCC Addict

my suggestion is to get yourself a mfm black widow

at $40 its not too big of an investment and imo a great way to get into and understand how comp chassis' vary

also it'll give you a chance to experiment w/ droop suspensions (*i take it your're using the stock ax10 shocks)
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

So last night i took the springs i had inside my shocks and cut them in half and put half on the bottom and half on top. Made my belly clearance at about 2 3/8. wow what a differance i should have messed around with this a while ago. way more stable and predictable.