Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: DNA dig install questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default DNA dig install questions?

I've spent some time with search but I'm having trouble finding out what I need to know. I have a DNA dig on order so I can't really look closely at the unit yet.

1. What's the best 'short' rear drive shaft solution for the DNA dig and where do you source it?

2. It looks like the DNA dig top servo mount is dimensioned for a full size servo. So, I'm guessing you can't use a mini servo unless you build a custom bracket??...Thanks!
stevehof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Go to DNA website. DNA-RC.COM
rockassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehof View Post
I've spent some time with search but I'm having trouble finding out what I need to know. I have a DNA dig on order so I can't really look closely at the unit yet.

1. What's the best 'short' rear drive shaft solution for the DNA dig and where do you source it?

2. It looks like the DNA dig top servo mount is dimensioned for a full size servo. So, I'm guessing you can't use a mini servo unless you build a custom bracket??...Thanks!
I personally have been running cut pede shafts on the rear without too much trouble. I will of course snap them when playing hard but have yet to in a comp. The short MIP shafts seem to be working well also.

The dig servo mount is actually sized to a mini servo and that is what I run on all my rigs. Some guys make full size mounts, other guys (Solomon included) make micro servo mounts and run them.

Hope this helps.

Don
DNA R/C
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It's made for a mini servo. You can cut your stock drive shafts, or a punisher drive shaft, or you can buy a thunder drive shaft from TCS, already short for a dig unit.
rockassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If you need to have a shorter rear drive shaft all you have to do is cut it a little shorter on your own. As far as I know the only aftermarket shortened driveshaft is the MIP one. I have the DNA dig on several different rigs an have only had to shorten the drive shaft on one of them. I just cut it to work for that rig.

As far as the servo mount goes, it is set up or a mini servo, not a standard servo. The popular choice is the Hitec 225 MG. Take your time when you get the dig and make sure you get your endpoints set correctly and you will have a great working unit.
tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Talk about customer service. You got the man himself to answer the questions faster than the rest of us could.
tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
The short MIP shafts seem to be working well also. Hope this helps. Don DNA R/C
Yes, very helpful. However, I still can't find a source for 'short' MIP drive shafts...I've been to the MIP web site. I have a set of MIP shafts waiting to go on my AX-10 and it looks like the splines may be too short if you cut these? Thanks again!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axles-p-1-c-272.html

Click link and scroll down...first place I checked, no doubt available from lots of great dealers here on rcc.

Don
Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axles-p-1-c-272.html

Click link and scroll down...first place I checked, no doubt available from lots of great dealers here on rcc.

Don
Thanks so much...I got it ordered...
Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Default Billet works where are you?...:^)

I just received my DNA dig from Superior Hobbies Online. The instructions refer to photos or illustrations that are not on the sheet or in the box. I realize this thing was not designed for the inexperienced RC'er and I have built lots of helis and planes. However without any photos or illustrations it's going to be a bit of a struggle to get this thing installed and setup...Are there any links or online resources for illustrations or exploded views....Thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehof View Post
I just received my DNA dig from Superior Hobbies Online. The instructions refer to photos or illustrations that are not on the sheet or in the box. I realize this thing was not designed for the inexperienced RC'er and I have built lots of helis and planes. However without any photos or illustrations it's going to be a bit of a struggle to get this thing installed and setup...Are there any links or online resources for illustrations or exploded views....Thanks
Check their website & on the lower right corner is the link for the manual.
http://www.dna-rc.com/main.html
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Click on the "AX-10 Dig Unit Build Instructions" button on the right of the home page. Scroll through for instructions and pics

Don
Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Go to the web site and on the front page on the lower right there is a link to instructions.
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

thanks guys for helpin me out during the evening when I'm "not supposed to be" working.

Steve, if you run into any trouble, feel free to shoot me an email tomorrow and I'll do what I can to walk you through it if need be.

Don
Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Click on the "AX-10 Dig Unit Build Instructions" button on the right of the home page. Scroll through for instructions and pics

Don
Opps, I did check out the web site previous to posting but I sure did manage to miss seeing that link....Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Steve, like to hear how this turns out for you. thinking on doing the same for my rig. Why did you leave the comp early? Did you brake?
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHuffer View Post
Steve, like to hear how this turns out for you. thinking on doing the same for my rig. Why did you leave the comp early? Did you brake?
Yes, I twisted off a drive shaft. I tried the zip tie fix but the zip tie interfered with my spur gear. I didn't have any smaller spurs or any pinons, in fact, no spare parts at all...This was the second time that drive shaft popped loose and I figured it wouldn't hold without some help. So, I ordered some upgrades: MIP drive shafts, one short, an Axial slipper and the DNA dig, HiTec 7955 servo for steering, Axial aluminum C hubs and steering knuckles. The next time out...my truck should turn a little tighter...

After watching the 'pros' scoot their trucks into position for the gates with the help of a dig it became apparent that a dig would be a huge advantage once you get the hang of using it..
Old 11-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I actually mounted a standard servo to the stock battery plate connected to my Dig. We are all here to help each other. I am pretty sure I had extra parts in my toolbox that I would have been more than happy to give to you so you could have finished the comp. Always kept an extra driveshaft just in case until I got my Thundertech MIP's. It's like a very disfunctional family.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by treday619 View Post
I am pretty sure I had extra parts in my toolbox that I would have been more than happy to give to you so you could have finished the comp.
This was my first crawler competition and my truck was obviously not dialed in. I might have been more tempted to scrounge up parts or some help but the drop dead in the water risks on two of the courses were too intimidating for this newbie driver...If a truck rolled into the lake at those locations it might have been impossible to save, it was very deep...:-( I and at least one other driver asked for a 'catcher' to go downhill from the trucks on the section just before my drive shaft popped out. In retrospect, I wouldn't want someone taking a tumble into the lake trying to catch my truck either.

I went $30,000 in debt flying RC choppers 10-12 years ago. I decided that I would never have another $600 day of RC adventures. I'm prepared to pay for upgrades, breakage/crash damage, but I'm not willing to risk my entire truck.

Having said that I'd like to add that the courses the guys set up were, water risks aside, fun and challenging. Everyone was helpful and friendly...I'll be BAAAACCCKKKK...
Old 11-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=stevehof;1415448]This was my first crawler competition and my truck was obviously not dialed in. I might have been more tempted to scrounge up parts or some help but the drop dead in the water risks on two of the courses were too intimidating for this newbie driver...If a truck rolled into the lake at those locations it might have been impossible to save, it was very deep...:-(

Well steve your not alone, my first comp w/these guys, my rig was stock AX10 kit, with 27T motor/battery on the top plate, I never made it to the second gate. But the guys were cool with advice and I used it. I did this just to learn the feel for my rig(stock), and I'm still learning. HaHa, I know which course your talking about, I jumped down and stood at that ledge while I ran the course in case of any roll overs, because I was there to crawl not fish. Still I had a fun time. Well good luck with the build. and maybe see you at the next one. -RCHuffer
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote