Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: VP Zero Ackermann Knux need a longer tierod...doh!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default VP Zero Ackermann Knux need a longer tierod...doh!

Just bought a set of VP Zeero Ack Knuckles and they are awesome, machining and finish are perfect. That's the good part. Here comes the other

I, being dumb, didn't realize I needed a longer tierod. My axial 106mm one is 10mm short. No hobby store for 50 miles and gas is $4.29. Bummed. Well, guess I'll have to pick a new one up from one of the vendors here. I have a gc3a chassis and run my HH 1300 2s battery on a plate behind my servo so a bta isn't really going to work for me without some changes. Liked the look of the one one in the tc's gc3a thread, who makes it? Or is it a secret squirrel design that isn't really available to those outside a certain circle? What are some other good options here in the vendor section or some that aren't that somebody might know about? Thanks
tbilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Time to learn to build your own links. Works for steering just as well as it does for lowers.

Don't buy links - build them!
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbilz View Post
Just bought a set of VP Zeero Ack Knuckles and they are awesome, machining and finish are perfect. That's the good part. Here comes the other

I, being dumb, didn't realize I needed a longer tierod. My axial 106mm one is 10mm short. No hobby store for 50 miles and gas is $4.29. Bummed. Well, guess I'll have to pick a new one up from one of the vendors here. I have a gc3a chassis and run my HH 1300 2s battery on a plate behind my servo so a bta isn't really going to work for me without some changes. Liked the look of the one one in the tc's gc3a thread, who makes it? Or is it a secret squirrel design that isn't really available to those outside a certain circle? What are some other good options here in the vendor section or some that aren't that somebody might know about? Thanks
First off, where are you that gas is 4.29 a gallon!? Its 3.49 Here in Louisiana. Anyways, I was lucky enough to score this steering set up in a online contest. I would think that they would be coming out with the production version soon but who knows. I thought we'd see the production version of the GC MOA chassis by now too. . . then again, maybe we have with the XR-10. . . .
TC09mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Im live way up in Northern Cali,about 2 hours from the OR border, the most expensive gas in the nation besides Hawaii. I've got a Chevy with a 350 with some work and 35" mudders so she's a thirsty girl too...11 or 12MPG up here on the mountain roads we have.

Ya that steering you setup you have is sick...wish it was mine. Before I even saw this build I had a similar idea for the battery/servo setup but never put it into the works. Then I saw that one with the tierod like that and instantly wanted one. I'm sure i'm not the first to say this...but if for some reason you ever don't have a use for it, I promise to give it a good home. Haha.

I could probably get my buddy to make one for me if I could get some dimensions from you but then I guess that might not be fair to gatekeeper if he plans on marketing them.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Making links is easy... even if it is just all-thread and rod ends, it is ghetto looking but its so easy a caveman can do it. I CNC machine mine but in all actuality it is VERY easy to do, HAAS CNC lathe or not. PS: I feel your gas price pain, I live about an hour out of LA and it is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Tossin' Salad

the dimension you are looking for is 153mm eye to eye.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #7

Ckrc could probably have there in a couple days. There out of Reno. Not to far from yea.
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default kcjones tierod

The allthread is something I didn't think about. Might make one up real quick to hold me over until I get one that is better looking. Thanks for the idea. At least ill be able to run them then.

KcJones thank you for the info. I measured mine and that is what I came up with as well so thanks for the confirmatino. Don't you have a tierod for zero ack that you sell?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
RCC Addict

all thread is one of the greatest things ever for protoing links up, its cheap and easy to tweak to the right size It is for a BTA unit, I dont know if your chassis would work good with a BTA unit or not, some do and some don't
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Ckrc is a good business I've made 3 or 4 orders from them and because of where I live it has to go thru 4 other post offices before it gets here, it takes a week minimum. Got a package from texas quicker because it had less stops. Absolutely no knock on ckrc or their people. Its our watered down postal service at work.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
Try to Bend it

Yes Casey does make a tie rod for zero ackerman knuckles. Check out his web site for more details. Its in my signature.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbilz View Post
KcJones thank you for the info. I measured mine and that is what I came up with as well so thanks for the confirmatino. Don't you have a tierod for zero ack that you sell?
I do sell a zero ackermann tie rod...but it is only for BTA. If you want to run it with a GC-3A, you must dump the front servo plate, and convert to a 4 link / BTA plate such as the VP or CKRC unit. I have used both, and they work great. Once you do this, you can easily move to a BTA steering setup.

Casey
Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for getting back to me. I read in jdawg's gc3a build that he hadn't found a bta that worked well with the chassis. Now, thanks to you, I know what to do to make it work. Do either of those 4 link plates change the link geometry with the mounting positions? I would like to keep it like it as designed unless it worked out better for you when you ran it that way.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
Tossin' Salad

The key to getting a BTA link to fit is being able to clear the shocks. Now, it looks like your shocks are very upright...this could be an issue. As for location of your shocks, that is good. Your lower links are not a problem...but, your upper links would have to be moved to the top of the plate, to clear the tie rod and drag link. But this will have little overall effect on stability.

One thing you can do...go to a hardware store, and pick up some threaded rod (4mm thickness) and some Revo rod ends. Try bending a piece to fit up in there, and see if you can get fluid movement from side to side. I would for sure start there.

EDIT: Here is a pretty clear pic of what needs to be going on to clear a BTA link of mine.

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 03-29-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Default d lux links

I searched the vendors and came across eric d lux's ad. Had him make up a couple 119mm tieerods for me. One I had tapped for m3 grubbs and the other for m4 so I can run revo ends. I pm'd erik at about 7 last night and this morning had a reply saying they had been made and shipped already...holy crap that's service. I was thinking it would take at least a day for him to even get around to starting on them. I will use him again for all links I need until I get it up to start making my own. Might even have it up and running by the weekend. Thanks again erik d lux...keep up the good work.