Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 3 Link 4 Link.... please explain in noob terms, thank you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 3 Link 4 Link.... please explain in noob terms, thank you!

So I just ordered my first Ax10. Got the ARTR and the basic goodies. I was talking the guy that I ordered my truc from....hes like 3 hrs away... another town. Anyways he mentioned something about a 4 link setup in the rear and a 3 link in the front. Or maybe backwards of that.... either way I stupidy just agreed trying not to act like I didn't know what I was talking about. As it turns out I don't know what I am talking about and I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to explain. I have read a few things in the forums, but still i am drawing a blank here. Thank you for all the help.
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Search 4 link in this forum.
rc4x4crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4x4crawler View Post
Search 4 link in this forum.
lol... duh! Doing it right now. Thx!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

3 Link is how the upper links are stock
4 link looks like this:

A little bit of a difference, but a HUGE differece on the rocks, I just got my plates today, and I love 'em

Blurry pic... i know
treeafodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

ok so I found some pictures and edited them a little. Let me know if I understand this correctly.

So in this first picture the 2 links + 2 links makes the four links?

And in the second picture link 1 and 2 are mounted and 3 and 4 would mount to that plate?

What is 3 link then? Do you have a center mount like in the second picture for only 1 link instead of two?

thx for the help, I really appreciate it!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Threee link

Three link is what the ax10 comes with from the factory where the two upper links come together to one mounting swivel point being the third axle link. I prefer the articulation of a three link however torque twist is hard to get in check opposed to with a four link setup. Torque twist is when your climbing and one front corner lifts more than the other due to torque. Hope this helps!
-WHEELMAN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -WHEELMAN- View Post
Three link is what the ax10 comes with from the factory where the two upper links come together to one mounting swivel point being the third axle link. I prefer the articulation of a three link however torque twist is hard to get in check opposed to with a four link setup. Torque twist is when your climbing and one front corner lifts more than the other due to torque. Hope this helps!
That totally helps!! Like a ton, thanks for explainingh it like that and letting me know what the ax10 comes with stock. So basically I will just have to drive my truck and make my own decision to change the link setup. Thx again...... I am dying here waiting for shipping. Spent like a month doing research on what my first truck was gonna be and its finally been ordered. Wait......wait....... wait
Old 11-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If it helps I am running a 3 link front and a 4 link rear. This is only for the top links,when they talk about link set-up. The lowers are reffered to as just that "lower links" Good luck and have fun, crawlers are addictive
towtruckmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Like wheelman said it helps with torque twist but the biggest thing I noticed with 4-linking the rear of mine was no more axle wrap, thats when the axle rocks back and forth front to back. That is why on 1:1's a 4-link is dominant, axle wrap can cause your pinion angle to be inconsistent through articulation and from a stop. Also you receive a more predictable feel with the truck as you crawl.
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman2010 View Post
Like wheelman said it helps with torque twist but the biggest thing I noticed with 4-linking the rear of mine was no more axle wrap, thats when the axle rocks back and forth front to back. That is why on 1:1's a 4-link is dominant, axle wrap can cause your pinion angle to be inconsistent through articulation and from a stop. Also you receive a more predictable feel with the truck as you crawl.
Very interesting...hmmmm. That must be why the guy told me to 4 link the rear. I come with no crawler background what so ever so most of this might as well be japanese. I do really appreciate all the help.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr3yu View Post
Very interesting...hmmmm. That must be why the guy told me to 4 link the rear. I come with no crawler background what so ever so most of this might as well be japanese. I do really appreciate all the help.

Check out my vid on here. I did a double triangulated 4 link front and rear and the stability is incredible. the vid is on tuned custom ax10 tread here is a of pic of my link set up

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/q...Picture493.jpg
Robbs2001tj is offline   Reply With Quote