Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Diff binding?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Diff binding?

I tore open the front axle and dropped in a BonusLine chromo locker and HD gear set(rear gets one next week). After literally shaving and tapping the stock axle shafts into the spool I got it all back together with a lot of white lithium grease for lube. Giving the axles some turns it feels like the gears are binding inside and sticking. I think the pinion is sliding into the locker. Normal? I know it wasn't an issue with the stock gears. I'm thinking once I get the yoke on with a spacer that might solve it... but won't know untill I'm able to get the axle linked back into the frame as a roller again.

Any insight on what might be wrong or if I'm thinking along the right path?
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i would say your thinking is correct the only other thing i would check is just making sure there are no shims on the inside of the pinion shaft
SMOKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Did you use the stock paper gasket between the spool and the ring gear? If so, take it out. It might be spacing the ring gear out too much toward the pinion gear causing bind.
This of course is just a guess as to some times I don't have my head screwed on straight.
eddy4753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Also, make sure that when you tap the axles into the locker that they are centered. I have not ran those lockers so I dont know how tight they are on the rounded sides. With you saying that there tight, they might be off to one side causing the diff and locker to want to roll like a cam instead of spinning straight.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Make sure you seated the pinion completely.. You should see about 1/16 inch of the pinion shaft past the flat, if it is installed correctly... Just give it a pull with some pliers form the outside and it should seat.
Also, don't use too much grease. You dont need to pack the housing. Just a liberal coat on the gears and bearing and that is it.. Too much tends to put a load on the gears and make them drag.....
B4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The gasket is still with the old diff casing and ring gear. The new HD pinion doesn't seat down like the stock ones do. The HD pinion head is half as tall and has a collar that makes it sit up to engage the ring gear, otherwise it would touch it at all.

I'm fairly sure that the axle shafts are in straight. I sat the locker and ring gear in there and spun it a few times by hand and it felt smooth. No wobbling, even after the shafts went in.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Make sure you didnt over tighten the c's.
-WHEELMAN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by -WHEELMAN- View Post
Make sure you didnt over tighten the c's.
If these screws are ovre tight (or too long) they contact the drive axel
nathanschmoekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The axle C's are good. I'm sure it's somewhere in the spool/ring gear. With the little play that the pinion has it just locks up. Thinking the ring gear might not be flat on the spool. I have it torn appart right now.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

OK - Tinkering with the spare R&P in hand and the stock one I think it's just the new R&P. The stock pinion has some more material at the bottom of the teeth which would stop it from sliding up and into the diff... the HD versions do not.

Anyone else notice this?