Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 RTR - Upgrade servo & motor, keep radio & receiver? Need BEC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default AX10 RTR - Upgrade servo & motor, keep radio & receiver? Need BEC?

Howdy. Bought an RTR last Sunday, already added the aluminum links and softer springs up front, weighted the wheels, etc, but I've discovered that the stock motor is way too fast and my steering servo can no longer handle the load.

I am intending on picking up a 55T motor (Axial, Integy, whatever) to slow her down and hopefully gain some control, and I really need to upgrade the servo (thinking Hitec 645 MG).

I have noticed that if the front end is bound up, and I try to turn the wheels, nothing works - is this a case where the servo is 'stealing' all the power from the receiver, leaving nothing for the motor? Will this happen with the Hitec servo too? Will the addition of a BEC fix this?

Thank you and good day.

PS: I will eventually upgrade the whole slew of electronics - I'm just trying to do this in as logical a fashion as possible.
Coldnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

in my opinion

motor
servo
BEC
esc
Rx/Tx

in that order.

dont settle on a budget ESC and transmiter. save for a high quality one . spend the money once, not twice. you already have everything needed, so just save your pocket money.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKilla View Post
motor
servo
BEC
esc
Rx/Tx.
Thanks - that mostly makes sense. - But why BEC after servo? Would adding a BEC have any (positive) impact on my current setup? I realize that it couldn't be as useful as upgrading the servo, but am I not going to have the same issue with no motor control if I overload the 645 without a BEC in place?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
RCC Addict

My RTR did that also. When I turned it full lock I had no throttle. I would recommend a Tekin FX R combo with 45T. Wheel speed and torque. Saddle packs from Holmes Hobbies. Tekin #TT2104 FX-R + 45T Motor. stomer Has them for $99.99 The steering problems stoped when I installed the Tekin. Matt
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:17 AM   #5
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldnorth View Post
Thanks - that mostly makes sense. - But why BEC after servo? Would adding a BEC have any (positive) impact on my current setup? I realize that it couldn't be as useful as upgrading the servo, but am I not going to have the same issue with no motor control if I overload the 645 without a BEC in place?
Some speed contollers have bulit in becs. I am running a rooster and a JR8711 off the built in and it work great so far.( 4 months)
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

i say bec because, even though its not manditory, its a great help in a crawler application. my rooster had problems supplying power to two 645MG servos. bec solved it.

you dont have to follow my suggestion. this is just how i did it. in crawling, the servos demands alot of power from the ESC (depending on the servos you get). taking the load off the esc by using an external bec just gives it that extra boost.

if you are not running rear steer or a dig i would say to hold off on the BEC untill you feel you actually need it. depending on the ESC's BEC, it would most likely be enough to power a single steering servo.

i now run a CC Sidewinder and integy 55T with a HS-5645mg(steering) and a HS-225MG(dig) both powered by a CC BEC . and a Spektrum Dx3
and i am happy with this setup

Last edited by BuzzKilla; 12-05-2008 at 09:03 AM.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKilla View Post
i say bec because, even though its not manditory, its a great help in a crawler application. my rooster had problems supplying power to two 645MG servos. bec solved it.

you dont have to follow my suggestion. this is just how i did it. crawling demands alot of power from the servos(depending on the servos you get). taking the load off the esc by using an external bec just gives it that extra boost.

if you are not running rear steer or a dig i would say to hold off on the BEC untill you feel you actually need it. depending on the ESC's BEC, it would most likely be enough to power a single steering servo.
Hehe, sorry - my question wasn't "why the hell would I do that;" rather, it was 'why the BEC after the servo, and not the other way 'round?" I'm sort of thinking that it might be advantageous to get them (servo and BC) either simultaneously, or even the BEC first to help with the current annoyance (given that I'll hold onto the Axial ESC for a bit longer). But either way, it definitely makes sense.

Awesome; thanks guys!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

i think it has to do with the weight in the tires and the crappy stock servo, I started with an rtr and have changed all the thing listed above, but I never had that problem with my original but I changed the servo out the 3rd day I would definetly go servo first. you will notice a huge difference.......
bolibruch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Howdy. Bought an RTR last Sunday, already added the aluminum links and softer springs up front, weighted the wheels, etc, but I've discovered that the stock motor is way too fast and my steering servo can no longer handle the load.

I am intending on picking up a 55T motor (Axial, Integy, whatever) to slow her down and hopefully gain some control, and I really need to upgrade the servo (thinking Hitec 645 MG).

I have noticed that if the front end is bound up, and I try to turn the wheels, nothing works - is this a case where the servo is 'stealing' all the power from the receiver, leaving nothing for the motor? Will this happen with the Hitec servo too? Will the addition of a BEC fix this?

Thank you and good day.

PS: I will eventually upgrade the whole slew of electronics - I'm just trying to do this in as logical a fashion as possible.
Get the Axial 55T it works with the RTR ESC and is only $14.00 from towerhobbies. My RTR has a Hi-Torque servo and I do not get the no power to the motor problem. Maybe its the batteries your using? I use 7.2v 6 cell 4200 mAh NIMH battery and they provide hours of crawling.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Get the Axial 55T it works with the RTR ESC and is only $14.00 from towerhobbies. My RTR has a Hi-Torque servo and I do not get the no power to the motor problem. Maybe its the batteries your using? I use 7.2v 6 cell 4200 mAh NIMH battery and they provide hours of crawling.
Bought the Venom Fireball 55T. It was 1 dollar more than the Axial. Figured since this was just a 'first evolution' motor, I'd go cheap, but also figured that bearings were definitely worth 1 dollar.

...The 55T makes a HUGE difference on speed - way more control.

Now I just need my girlfriend to pick the right servo to put in my stocking. :P