Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Wheel Weight Idea. Good or Bad? Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wheel Weight Idea. Good or Bad? Pics

I like the idea of wheel weights in the front especially since I am not running a split pack yet. I found a couple of 2" diameter by 1/8" thick washers lying around today and started thinking. They were two small to drill holes and use them as weighted beadlocks so after taking a closer look I was able to grind out the washer where the beadlock bolts go and it fits perfectly (nice and snug) inside the rim. I am not sure these even weigh enough to make a difference but I figured it can only help right? I am a newbie so are there any downfalls I am over seeing by doing this?

In the pics it doesn't look like the washer is down far enough to clear the center hub but it is.

dj23gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

It's a good idea, alot of us use washers for weights, can you fit more than one in a wheel?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
It's a good idea, alot of us use washers for weights, can you fit more than one in a wheel?
Possibly if i ground down (diameter) the inside one so I could push it farther into the rim to allow room for the second one and still leave the center hub sticking out. Its something I'll try once I get my hands on a few more washers.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

why not run weight in the tires instead of taking time to cut all the washers down to fit. Doesn't seam like to much weight even with 6 washers per side????

I put automotive wheel weight in mine..
Attached Images

lil' lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I run 7.5 oz in each front tire and 3 oz in each rear tire. If you play your cards right you might even be able toget the weights for cheap or even free from your local tire shop. The last 3 sets of wheel and tires ive done i got the weights for free this way.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' lucifer View Post
why not run weight in the tires instead of taking time to cut all the washers down to fit. Doesn't seam like to much weight even with 6 washers per side????

I put automotive wheel weight in mine..

Yes I understand thats probly the best way but I had these washers lying around and figured i'd put them to use for something. They got some weight to them but surely not as much as the stick on wheel weights.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Gibbs (in Canada, anyways) makes a roll of 1/4" round fishing weight, weighing 1 lb. 6.99 CAD at Canadian Tire.

I took two rolls, and cut it into lengths that would wrap around the rim - turns out that you get about 7.5 lengths (wraps) per package, equating to about 2.14 oz per wrap.

I started off with 5 rounds (10.7 oz) per front but reduced that to 3 rounds (6.42 oz) per front, and did (and still) have 2.5 rounds (5.35 oz) per rear. Just bent 'em around and wrapped the whole shiteroo with electrical tape. Should've taken photos; didn't but I think I'm going to add another round to the front (to 8.56 oz) so maybe I'll snap some shots when I do.

In comparison, my LHS has wee automotive-style wheel weights for 5.99 per package, and i think that was like 6 oz total, so 1.00/oz, whereas the roll was about 0.44/oz (before taxes, anyways).

PS: Your idea looks cool, though.

Last edited by Coldnorth; 12-08-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Coldnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Sticky automotive weights are the best way to go for your time energy and money I think. Good idea with the washers tho.
thunder7845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

These weigh in at 1.5oz each so yeah i'd need 5 or 6 of them to equal one round of automotive weights. Not worth it but I just like being creative. Thats kinda why I jumped into the crawling scene.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I think it's a good idea. Maybe use stick on wheel weight in the tires and use the washers to help tune the truck.
Mighty Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
I think it's a good idea. Maybe use stick on wheel weight in the tires and use the washers to help tune the truck.
That's a great idea if you don't mind all the screws!

dj23gsx - Keep building!!! Innovation never killed anyone
bighitbomber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitbomber1 View Post
That's a great idea if you don't mind all the screws!

dj23gsx - Keep building!!! Innovation never killed anyone

I'm not sure i know what you mean by all the screws?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
washers are a great idea, bender and sparky j showed me that trick, I think in circa 2005 , on my trip to CO.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I think he ment all the screws in the bead lock ring. you should check out the wheel pig in the vendors section, it's similar to your washer idea.
thunder7845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder7845 View Post
I think he ment all the screws in the bead lock ring. you should check out the wheel pig in the vendors section, it's similar to your washer idea.

Yeah i've seen the wheel pig. It looks great. Its fun trying to use usless stuff thats just sitting around for something like this. Its all part of the hobby.

I tried to fit 2 inside the rim and they fit perfectly under the beadlock. Then I mounted the wheel on the truck and the second washer rubs on the steering knuckle because it sits higher then the center wheel hub. I don't think its worth the effort to make it work especially after weighing the washer and finding out how light they really are. I never really looked at 8oz as half a pound. Once I realized that I knew these were kind of a waste.