Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: got my AX10 Scorpion RTR today. (christmas day)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default got my AX10 Scorpion RTR today. (christmas day)

wow i love this truck. had no idea she was gonna be so torquey though. its almost like an HPI wheely king. front wheels just shoot up in the air with a squeeze of the throttle trigger. which is also pretty touchy. is this normal?
ax10scorpion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10scorpion89 View Post
wow i love this truck. had no idea she was gonna be so torquey though. its almost like an HPI wheely king. front wheels just shoot up in the air with a squeeze of the throttle trigger. which is also pretty touchy. is this normal?
YES
if you want it to go slow you will need a speed control
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
YES
if you want it to go slow you will need a speed control

so basically take everyones advice on here and spend the money on the 55turn novak crawler motor and ESC combo?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
so basically take everyones advice on here and spend the money on the 55turn novak crawler motor and ESC combo?

lol DO NOT waste your money buying new electronics. Your ESC (speed control) is just fine. I have an RTR AX10 and all you need to do is install the included 14T pinion gear, lock the front axles with the included locker, and buy the $14.00 55T Axial motor (I got mine from Towerhobbies) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVNM8&P=ML and you will be set.

Dont get me wrong the Novak motor and ESC are top quality parts buy why spend the extra cash when you do not need to?

Here is my AX10 RTR after some modest upgrades:
Aluminum Links (green)
Required hardware upgrade kit (for the links)
14T pinion gear (inclued with the RTR)
locked the front axle (inclued with the RTR)
Added weights to the front tires & drilled two holes in each tire to let air out
55T Axial electric motor
XC-1 body

Last edited by grimgard; 12-26-2008 at 12:53 AM.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

thats a nice rig man. i heard the locker is a pain in the ass to install for a new crawler. this is my first actual hobby grade crawler. i had a stampede before this and after the pede i had the 50 dollar nylint crawler from walmart. POS!!! btw. haha. so just get a 55tun axial motor and do the pinion gear and locker and ill be good with no jumpiness and stuff?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
lol DO NOT waste your money buying new electronics. Your ESC (speed control) is just fine. I have an RTR AX10 and all you need to do is install the included 14T pinion gear, lock the front axles with the included locker, and buy the $14.00 55T Axial motor (I got mine from Towerhobbies) and you will be set.

Dont get me wrong the Novak motor and ESC are top quality parts buy why spend the extra cash when you do not need to?

Here is my AX10 RTR after some modest upgrades

Why would you not something with a little more programability? Don't get me wrong if you are not planning to comp then by all means stick with the stock stuff but if you plan on competing you will definitely need a new servo up front and a good ESC and Motor. Since I do not have experience with the Axial Motors someone who does might want to chime in.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I just instaled a novak 55 with the stock rtr speed controler and it made it so alot better on the low end but thers no wheel speed with six cell pack. it made the brake better to.
Flud unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

im just looking to stop my truck from jumping around on the rocks while crawling. i hate the jumpiness. im just a backyard crawler guy. no comps for me. haha.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
im just looking to stop my truck from jumping around on the rocks while crawling. i hate the jumpiness. im just a backyard crawler guy. no comps for me. haha.

The front locker is easy to instal (follow the directions that came with your crawler and take your time). There is NO difference between the Novak 55T and the Axial 55T motor other than the name. The stock ESC has forward, reverse, and a brake. The only time you would need to program it would be if your planing on running Li-Po batteries and if you were then you would need a different ESC.

By jumpiness if you mean to much power out of the gate then yes. The 55T motor and the 14T pinion will slow things down for you big time. Locking the fornt axle will give you better traction.

Last edited by grimgard; 12-26-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

ok so ill get the axial 55 turn, keep the stock ESC, throw in the locker and 14 tooth pinion, and ill add my RC4WD Mud Slingers in and i should be good to go then?

P.S.: the stock ESC has no brake feature. or at least mine doesnt.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:21 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

What kinda battery are you running? 6 cell stick pack?

I would recomend gearing grabbing a 35-45turn motor from your LHS and geat it down to the 14T pinion. Also I would recomend volting up to 9.6volts by going w/ an 8 cell split pack for your front axle.
mockknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:28 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Do not go with RC4WD mud slings, You will be dissapointed by the pereformance. I would recomned some losi claws or some cougars if you want some good tires.

or

Wait for these guys.... Pro-Lines new Chisel 2.2 comp tire
Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
P.S.: the stock ESC has no brake feature. or at least mine doesnt.
It doesn't have one
Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

yeah im running a 6 cell stick 7.2V DuraTrax DTX4600 NiMH battery. im not up for going too crazy with the axle mounted split battery packs and things like that. just want something to mess around with when im bored at home or if im out somehwere and happen to have the truck with me.

i really gotta kno though, should i grab the 55 turn axial motor and toss that in? cause ill order it tonight and have it saturday.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:32 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockknight View Post
Do not go with RC4WD mud slings, You will be dissapointed by the pereformance. I would recomned some losi claws or some cougars if you want some good tires.

or

Wait for these guys.... Pro-Lines new Chisel 2.2 comp tire

ive heard nothing but good things about the performance this tire has. plus i like the scaled bogger look.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:40 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

The tekin FXR combo is well worth looking into.
-WHEELMAN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -WHEELMAN- View Post
The tekin FXR combo is well worth looking into.

do you have a link?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #18

The stock esc has a ton of delay going to reverse and no brake for about $45 dollars put a Tazor 15 and a integy 55T in,or for a little more money get the tekin combo. Other than that drop in the locker its not hard my six year old did hers last night with little help, and just read alot on here there is a ton of info on what works and alot of cheap mods available.
Smewhtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #19

glad this came up. last week i ordered that 55t axial motor to try out on my almost stock rtr. i got it becuase it was a good deal. i should have it monday.
akaphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #20
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaphilly View Post
glad this came up. last week i ordered that 55t axial motor to try out on my almost stock rtr. i got it becuase it was a good deal. i should have it monday.

The best upgarde you can make! & the most bang for your buck!