Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: dig question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default dig question

im in the process of buyin a dna dig system for my rig. the question i have is if the freewheel is used alot or if its something that can be without. if it can be without then i could use my 3pm remote. if its something that is used and important them imma have to get a 4pk
JaDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i just got my dig unit installed saturday been crawling nonstop since. im using my dx3s with a 2position 3rd channel, i got 4wd and rear locked only. no freewheel. im still excited about it. once installed i dont think, youll think bout it not having freewheel again
RobCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCam View Post
i just got my dig unit installed saturday been crawling nonstop since. im using my dx3s with a 2position 3rd channel, i got 4wd and rear locked only. no freewheel. im still excited about it. once installed i dont think, youll think bout it not having freewheel again

You'll never miss it. It's something that some people use sometimes... probably because they have it and feel they need to use it. I have never had it and have never missed it. I have never seen anyone use it at a local comp... and all these folks with Bergs and the people who will buy the Losi Crawler whenit comes out don't even have the option available.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

2wd is good for sidehilling up to a gate and can also get you up some undercut climbs that digging your way up just holds you back. There are a couple of climbs at my local spot that I can not make it up without the freewheel. My Berg will not make it. So there is occasion that it's nice to have. So to answer your question, I can live without it on my Berg because it has advanatages elsewhere, but having used it effectively on my shafty, I would not want to lose it.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
You'll never miss it. It's something that some people use sometimes... probably because they have it and feel they need to use it. I have never had it and have never missed it. I have never seen anyone use it at a local comp... and all these folks with Bergs and the people who will buy the Losi Crawler whenit comes out don't even have the option available.
True, if you never have it you won't know when and where to use it. I use freewheel alot.;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
2wd is good for sidehilling up to a gate and can also get you up some undercut climbs that digging your way up just holds you back. There are a couple of climbs at my local spot that I can not make it up without the freewheel. My Berg will not make it. So there is occasion that it's nice to have. So to answer your question, I can live without it on my Berg because it has advanatages elsewhere, but having used it effectively on my shafty, I would not want to lose it.
X2

Last edited by hitman46mod; 12-30-2008 at 07:57 AM.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
"HOLLYWOOD"

Save your money, and stay with your remote.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't want to be without mine either. I think in the electronics section there is a programing thread on how to mix channels or buttons to get 3 pos. out of the 3rd ch. on a 3pm.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
I wouldn't want to be without mine either. I think in the electronics section there is a programing thread on how to mix channels or buttons to get 3 pos. out of the 3rd ch. on a 3pm.

There is, but the operation is complicated enought to make it cumbersome.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
True, if you never have it you won't know when and where to use it. I use freewheel alot.;)

X2

I'm not trying to be a turd, but mine will do that, and having the rears locked will "suck" the truck tight against the rocks as the front gets bight.

That being said, that was still a nice looking run in the vid
Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I just installed my DNA and have a 2 position 3 channel transmitter. With that said, I have it set up for the freewheel. It takes a little getting used to but I can do a bunch of stuff with it. I could see the locked position being a drag in some situations where the freewheel works well. Don't know difference from locked to freewheel so I am cool with is so far.
41565chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
Holdin my 40oz.

I have a thread about it probubly in the electronics section. It is easy to set up and i believe easy to use, now granted its not SUPER easy, but it allows the option to use all three settings of hte dig when you want to. Try it and see how you like it. I personally rarely use the free wheel action but there are times when it is useful. Let me know how it goes and PM me if you get stuck.
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i bought the 4pk. i think freewheel is gonna be very usefull on a steep climb or a sidewall.
JaDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Is the dig unit legal to use in all comps?
240zron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #14
"HOLLYWOOD"

From what I have read it is legal for Pros. but not for lower class.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:07 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Most comps for the 2.2 class is a DIG allowed class, unless you are signed up for a "limited" or "Novice" class where DIG is not allowed. It is really up to whoever is running the comp.

Last edited by Speedracer19; 12-31-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the information.
240zron is offline   Reply With Quote