Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: CKRC Dig Unit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CKRC Dig Unit

Got it in the mail yeasterday and put it in last night.
Grinding down the rear output was a snap. Took a little filing on the bushing holes to let them press in easier. Because the dig plate and the motor plate where not tapped together, I went ahead and drilled out all the holes in the dig plate that where threaded and lined up with the motor plate.
I ended up shiming the rear lock plate a little to help prevent binding. I also had to grind down the three screws that hold the unit together becasue they where to long and where hitting the transmission case.
I cut down my stock drive shaft to use for now till I can buy some MIPs.
Now with all that done the unit works smooth as butter.
I may have left one to many sets of dig marks in the carpet last night.

Overall not the easiest thing I have done to my ARTR but still well worth the time and effort.
lt99ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
09 RCA champ!

night and day difference with a dig isnt it? are you going to come to some of our comps this year?
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
night and day difference with a dig isnt it? are you going to come to some of our comps this year?
yes, night and day.

I plan on coming to as many as possible. I did not sign up in time for the Toys for tots thing.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt99ls1 View Post
Got it in the mail yeasterday and put it in last night.
Grinding down the rear output was a snap. Took a little filing on the bushing holes to let them press in easier. Because the dig plate and the motor plate where not tapped together, I went ahead and drilled out all the holes in the dig plate that where threaded and lined up with the motor plate.
I ended up shiming the rear lock plate a little to help prevent binding. I also had to grind down the three screws that hold the unit together becasue they where to long and where hitting the transmission case.
I cut down my stock drive shaft to use for now till I can buy some MIPs.
Now with all that done the unit works smooth as butter.
I may have left one to many sets of dig marks in the carpet last night.

Overall not the easiest thing I have done to my ARTR but still well worth the time and effort.
Does your dig spin smoothly all the way around? When I first got mine (and I read that others had the same issue) the slot that engages the outdrive wasn't cut dead center of the shaft. That made it smoth for half a rotation of the shaft, but It bound bad on the other half rotation. I had to file one side of the slot to make it "centered".

I have a friend that wants to buy one and I was just curious if CKRC worked that out yet.

Thanks
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Does your dig spin smoothly all the way around? When I first got mine (and I read that others had the same issue) the slot that engages the outdrive wasn't cut dead center of the shaft. That made it smoth for half a rotation of the shaft, but It bound bad on the other half rotation. I had to file one side of the slot to make it "centered".

I have a friend that wants to buy one and I was just curious if CKRC worked that out yet.

Thanks
I shimmed the two plates where the rear lock and the bushings go. It truns smoothly all the way around. But without the shims it would bind up a little. I cut the output of the transmisson so it would barely fit in the disconnect, So I think mine is centered good.

Last edited by lt99ls1; 12-30-2008 at 01:59 PM.