Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Another lost soul

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Another lost soul

Got a RTR Version of the AX10 for Christmas....

was fooling around in a dumpster full of crushed concrete, and bent the stock links up pretty good, so have upgraded to the aluminum links.

Have lots of stuff to do, but of course, money is a concern... so in the mean time, I just spend the time practicing with it as it sits.. sure, it's top heavy, and man, that motor is hard to crawl with, and it sucks not having a drag brake for sure!

Stripped out one servo saver, but I guess that's a good thing, considering the alternative.

Now that the links are upgraded, I think my next step will be to split the battery pack on the front axle, and move electronics to the top links.. since that should be relatively cheap to do.

For those cutting the skid plate, and moving the links inboard.. what are you using to cut the skidplate?

https://cid-f6e9ac69c83881b0.skydriv...ling?ct=photos

Last edited by syber70; 12-31-2008 at 07:34 AM. Reason: bad pic link
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #2

i just got my ax10 as well. but mine is he artr and i put the novac fifty five and rooster crawler combo in it and i love that setup and its only like 110 bucks.. so if you want to upgrade that stuff id go with that. as for the skid plate cutting i used a saw for bolsa wood i forget the real name for them but any small saw should work ok. someone elts want to chime in for me im a noob.
Simeone190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Relocating your battery is good move. To cut your skid, a hobby grade rotary tool will work fine. I use a Dremel. Once you get into delrin skids, if you ever find a reason to trim it up it would be best to get the skid cut on a bandsaw since the delrin is so tough.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I am new to crawling but, not to RC and my advice is a rotary tool/dremel (or similar) is by far one of the best investments you can make when it come to tools in your RC tool box. You can purchase a endless variety of bits that should resolve any mod you want to make. They make adapters that turn it into a mini drill press, lathe, router, etc.... All of the different models are reasonably priced and typically come with enough bits to get you started. Wal-mart or Sears is a great place to start your shopping.
FeilEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

A serrated steak knife, lots of patience and a band-aid worked just fine for me to cut the skid and relocate the links.

EDIT: The band-aid (or band-aids) are not necessary unless you slip and stab yourself, which, with more of item 2, would not have happened.
Coldnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Was able to cut out the skid to move the links inboard.. but then, while taking it for a test drive, it rolled over, and my dumkoph foot pulled the cord right out of the receiver...

Well, guess I need to order a new receiver/radio. Found a TQM on Ebay with receiver for 19.99, 6 bucks shipping.. that's decent right?

Figure, I can use the 3rd channel for dig eventually.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

what cord got pulled out of the RX... the antenna? If so, you can just solder a new one on. If you don't have the means to do it, take it to a LHS if you have one. I'm not sure about the tq3. I would do a search on it to see how other like it.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

yeah, it was the antenna.

What is LHS?

I have a Lowes close by, think I'll pick up a soldering iron... this receiver is probably a good thing to practice soldering skills on.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by syber70 View Post
yeah, it was the antenna.

What is LHS?

I have a Lowes close by, think I'll pick up a soldering iron... this receiver is probably a good thing to practice soldering skills on.
LHS = local hobby shop thay can probably solder it for you
Old 12-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

The TQ2 and TQ3 radios are both great bang for the buck radios. They dont have end point adjustments or digital readouts but for $20-30 on ebay they work great. the receiver is rather large.... I have the TQ3 3 channel for my super and it works great. I added end point adjusters and replaced the 3rd channel switch with two buttons for my rear steer...

It is rather easy to replace your antenna wire on your rx... most hobby shops will sell just the wire or you can usually get away with just cutting the bad section out and having the wire just a lil shorter... just make sure you are using a fine point soldering iron.
jlmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have a tq3 on my crawler and I added a three position switch and endpoints for a total cost of 10 bucks. Two potentiometers, a three position switch, and two pieces of wire. (as well as some solder and an iron) I will try and post some pics but I can't make any guarantees.
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

For this you will need: 2 two inch lengths of wire, one three position switch, and two small potentiometers. You will also need a soldering iron and solder. (all can be bought at radioshack)

There are three wires on the original third switch. The center one is power in (+) the other two are power out right (r-)and power out left(l-). To add a new switch, simply unsolder all three wires and connect them to the new switch in the same order they were on the old one. To add endpoints unsolder the r- and l- wires. Solder the r- wire to the middle pin on one potentiometer(also called a rheostat-for adjusting resistence or volume). Solder your l- wire to the middle pin on the other potentiometer. Connect the right pin on the r- potentiometer to the pin on the switch where the r- wire used to be. Then connect the left pin on the l- potentiometer to the switch where the l- wire used to be.

Here's how it works. The more current allowed through the l- and r- wires the farther the servo will move. The potentiometer is a variable resistor (usually a knob or a screw on top to do this). By installing the pots inline with the l- and r- wires you can use them to adjust how far the servo will travel. The three position switch is just there because I wanted to be able to freewheel with my dig.(middle position)

Also google traxxas tq3 mods.

Sry for crappy cellphone pics.

tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Been working on my AX10 RTR a bit more.. no money, so just tweaking as I see fit..

Trying out a full drop setup on it.. just to see how it works. Trimmed the body a bit, and relocated the upper battery tray to the rear axle.

I'm running less wheel weights in the rear, so I think the battery will make it nice back there for weight.. can always add more weight to the front if needed by adding stick on weights.

Need to get some plates for the upper links to mount the electronics now..

I tried to solder my antenna back on, but now, the ESC only blinks the green/red LED, and nothing happens.. same as if I didn't have a receiver on it at all, so think I screwed it up somehow.

hopefully the new tq3 will come in soon enough so I can actually try this thing out again ;)

Pics at
https://cid-f6e9ac69c83881b0.skydriv...ock%20Crawling
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

More work done..

Put in a Tekin FXR/55turn motor combo, and a Lipo battery.

MIP driveshafts

4-linked the rear using Traxxas steering rods..

uploaded a few vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYT2atOyLuk

total of 3 of em, screwing around in the concrete pile I'm collecting.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Heading into my first comp this weekend in Clermont, FL...

Done some more work to it... I really need some new tires I think, the RTR ones are quite stiff.

Video of screwing around in the back yard on concrete.. the cylinders are smooth concrete, and very hard to get traction on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNxlpXMjZPk

Pics with some of the changes I've made... Crappy cell phone pics though.. but I think you can see the changes ok.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #16
Official Cook of the ECC

You will see big improvements when you switch to a better tire.

Lookin' good though.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Guess I should also say what I've done..
Started out as a AX10 RTR

Tekin FXR combo ESC/55 turn motor.
MIP shafts
TQ3 Radio/receiver
Lipo battery
moved the stock battery plate to rear axle, and drilled out holes to mount Traxxas links for a 4-link setup, also drilled two holes into chassis further in, to facilitate the longer links.
Weights in front rims, and less weights in rear..
upgraded links, steering, etc.
New servo for front, with metal arm.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #18
Official Cook of the ECC

I'll have extra tires at the comp this weekend if you would like to try them out.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Heading to LHS today, see if they have any decent ones there, if not, I may take you up on that
Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

tires for sure! I just put a set of losi rock claws on and it is night and day compared to the stock tires! I would say it is the best change you can make to the truck.
jlmotox is offline   Reply With Quote