Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: SWX and DIG mod Questions....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #1

Default SWX and DIG mod Questions....

I need a bit of assistance here please....

I'm in the process of converting my AX-10 to the SWX chassis and DNA DIG.

The MIP Universal drive shafts seem way too long. I can't use it with the DIG system, is that correct? I mean when I measure it, if I cut off what is necessary there is no more spline left.....

So, if that doesn't work, what can I use for the rear shaft that doesn't "pop-off" like the stockers?

With the DIG in the SWX it looks like the spur faces the front of the vehicle. I've seen pictures where the spur is facing the rear with the SWX chassis....

I see tips for the DNA DIG and I see tips in the forums for the SWX, but not both....does this combo not work together?

Thanks for any help
BushyAR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i just finished my rig. its an swx with dna dig. i dont have mips installed. i havent put them together. but here http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Thunder-T...5-p-17110.html you can find the rear shaft cut down already for you
JaDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

DONT CUT THE SHAFTS!!!!!!!

The problem is the splines on the female end do not go all the way up. So if you cut to short the male end will go past and lock up.

This is the part that kinda sucks. I already has a set of the long set of MIP's. Then I bought slingshot and i didnt have a dig yet. so the long shaft was fine in the rear and I tried to cut down the front one. Srewed it up so I bought a short one from TCS. Looking at the rear I thought it would be fine. Then I got the DNA dig. Ahhhh nope, You need the short one in the rear too. But since I had one long one already I spent the $55 for the complete set(1 long 1 short) instead of the $35 for on of the short ones. So now I have a set for may scaler.

So if you can find a buddy that needs the long shafts or you can use them on something else Id go with buying the combo package then 2 seperate short shafts.

Last edited by xzk7nr; 01-11-2009 at 05:46 AM.
xzk7nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #4

With the SWX set-up there is no way I can cut enough of the MIP shaft down. Its got to be "made short".

This build isn't going so well. I've already burned up one servo for the DIG unit :( Yeah I set the end-points but it feels like the DIG unit isn't so smooth, kinda notchy and I think until the "key" part line up there is tension so it heats up the servo.....

Not a happy camper right now....
Old 01-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I cut my MIP shaft on the male side I cut a piece out of the shaft right below the splines and welded the shaft back together.Work's like a charm if you have access to a welder.
broncoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

when i installed my dna my servos both steering and dig were getting hot. i ended up figuring out it was the setting on the remote. i got the futaba 4pk but if you use servos like the one we use you have to have the settings on regular mode instead of fasst mode. so that was one issue fixed. now as far as the dig heres my input. on the instructions it says to put as much grease as you want inside. bad idea. i did this and it made it bind more. after i took off all the grease it still binded some. so i lght sanded the rod part a bit. works awesome and smooth now. hope it helps
Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #7

Well, things are going from bad to worse.....

So, I killed another DIG servo. This time before plugging anything in, I set the end points to like 10% and made sure it was centered. I slowly increased the endpoints till it had all three settings till the functions engaged AND there was no noise from the servo. But at some point during the testing it overheated and it died...

What I was noticing it looked like the servo was not pushing the rod in and out straight it was torquing on it some. I positioned the servo, arms and the like per the instructions....

So, I tore down the transmission checking how free it was. Seemed fine.

A friend suggested I use a standard servo. Well even if I make the bracket fit the larger servo its going to hit the side of the SWX chassis. With the small servo and set up per the instructions there is barely any clearance as it is....

I'm quite frustrated right now... and have just thrown then entire project in a box....

Has anybody successfully done this? The SWX and DNA DIG together?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #8

Dewmerz SWX with dig have a look at that.
Old School RCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #9

thank you, thank you, thank you!

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! Now I know what I've got to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School RCer View Post
Old 01-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Stampede shafts
ax10alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School RCer View Post
yea this build is what gave me my idea to mount the servo there. but i moved it higher cuz my links sit higher then his. and i had to move it back some cuz the brushless motors are lnger then the brushed. i didnt wanna build that post to what i did was drill another hole into the servo mount and make the screw thread for it. keeps it locked in place. i had to drill 2 holes in the chassis for the mounting. works like a charm