Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: DMG DCR Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
Like a boss...

Default DMG DCR Build

I picked up a couple of these from Jerry and decided to build one for myself.

I have a TCS Edge that I built up for my son who is 6 and we like that rig but it is a little top heavy. When I saw the DCR chassis, I thought this might give me the best of both worlds - a tough tube frame that the little guy can beat on, but shave some serious weight so that when Dad drives it, he'll be happy too.

So here's the start of the build...the two rigs in the background are getting peeled apart to build this one (the EDGE and my 1.9 X-Trail).

Here's the money shot....The Edge frame weighs 11 oz with no panels and no skid...I'm sure I was much more than that with my metal panels too.

This guy only 6.1 oz... This frame is so light! It's gonna make a huge difference.

And here's a shot of the frame and the center skid as you receive it. The skid is just a hair shorter in width than the stock AX10 skid, but is longer. So my lower links will be shorter than a stock AX10.

Last edited by mann0mann; 01-16-2009 at 03:14 AM.
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
Like a boss...

So I mocked up the chassis with Traxxas Revo Pushrods TRA5318 as my lower links. I was using these on my X-Trail so it was a quick transition.

I also had a set of Traxxas T-Maxx Big Bore shocks that I was using on the EDGE. I was using the black AX-10 rubber dampner as an internal limiter and Losi White Springs.

My uppers I used a set of delrin links I had from Xtreme-RC-hobbies for a stock AX10 but I swapped out the revoe ball ends with Jato ones. I would say you need to extend your stock uppers about 20mm as a starting point.

All mocked up, I was just a smidgen under 12.5" and a little over 3" of belly clearance.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
Like a boss...

Ran into some issues as I got to this point. Two of my big bore shocks were leaking bad and I must have rebuilt them several times that night trying to get them to stop leaking (Come to find out I over-tightened the caps and cut the rubber diaphragms slightly inside).

Plus I just wasn't comfortable with that high of a belly clearance...it seemed way to jacked up. I don't know...everything I've run so far has been a bit of a belly dragger with clearance around 2.5" tops.

So I decided to drop in the trans and get some weight in there. Also switched my shock set up to a semi-droop with an RC18 Spring on the bottom of the Big Bores (A trick I learned from JustZach) Wasn't much of a drop but closer to what I wanted, still wish I could figure out how to get maybe another 1/4 of inch....

I also just have to comment that this design is so cool, being able to flip the tube frame up with just two screws like lifting the hood on a car or to be able to take the whole thing off with only 4 screws is just great. Really makes wrenching on the rig easy.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
Like a boss...

So here's where I'm still sort of messing with things. I went in-board with my front shocks, just to maximize the amount of steering clearance I have.

Not sure if I like it or not? Any thoughts or opinions on this?

I'm also going to move to delrin lower links as well. I have a set I was using before that I'll just cut down once I'm happy with the WB and link setup.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Love the way your shocks are set up. I run the same thing only i use losi mini-t mediums up front and firm in the rear. What kind of springs are you using under the pistons? Sweet build btw
bighitbomber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default DcR

You beat me to being the first DcR build thread Dammit:-P Jerry is just finishing my DcR up and I am hoping to have it next week.

I think I might try the Losi .9s 3.5 inch shocks in the lower holes for a good GC I would like to be between 2 5/8-2 3/4 what are you at now?

Why don't you try the upper shock mount holes, it should lower it at least 1/8 -1/4 and maybe go in one more also.

just a few thoughts, Chris
crawlincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Nice!

I like that chassis. Is it comp legal?
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Like a boss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlincircles View Post
You beat me to being the first DcR build thread Dammit:-P Jerry is just finishing my DcR up and I am hoping to have it next week.

I think I might try the Losi .9s 3.5 inch shocks in the lower holes for a good GC I would like to be between 2 5/8-2 3/4 what are you at now?

Why don't you try the upper shock mount holes, it should lower it at least 1/8 -1/4 and maybe go in one more also.

just a few thoughts, Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry. Didn't mean to beat you to the punch! :-P I'm actually heading out the door today to go on vacation for a week to visit the in-laws and I thought I better get something posted soon for Jerry. The craftsmanship on these are top notch. He deserves a little attention.

Regarding the shock positions, that sort of my dilemma. With the cage on keeping them inboard is tough, there so little room before it touches the frame. I'd have to go outboard with the shocks (which is really no biggie) but the other issue I have is I'd have to standoff the shocks considerably more than what they are not to clear the bodies as I go higher with the mount. Which then puts the shocks even farther outboard on the axles.

So even though I have all those shock mount positions, I really only have the one I'm using available to me unless I want to go wide with the shock mounts. Not sure if that's what I want to do just yet....
Old 01-17-2009, 03:35 AM   #9
RCC Addict

That is a pretty sweet looking chassis.
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #10

where did you get the chasis?
BlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I think mannOmann is on vacation, The chassis is a DcR from Jerry at the DMG or death metal garage.

Look in the vendors market/general vendors section for a thread called "Death Metal Garage" and check out his chassis. He is "ZORLAC" just PM him with any questions. He is a stand up guy
crawlincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I Have three DmG chassis and they are the $#!t.I have a dcv/pro,dcr,and a snipe that I compete with.Best tube chassis out there.All of them are comp legal.Look in the vendor section DnG Death Metal Garage.
jgmmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann0mann View Post
Hi Chris,

Sorry. Didn't mean to beat you to the punch! :-P I'm actually heading out the door today to go on vacation for a week to visit the in-laws and I thought I better get something posted soon for Jerry. The craftsmanship on these are top notch. He deserves a little attention.

Regarding the shock positions, that sort of my dilemma. With the cage on keeping them inboard is tough, there so little room before it touches the frame. I'd have to go outboard with the shocks (which is really no biggie) but the other issue I have is I'd have to standoff the shocks considerably more than what they are not to clear the bodies as I go higher with the mount. Which then puts the shocks even farther outboard on the axles.

So even though I have all those shock mount positions, I really only have the one I'm using available to me unless I want to go wide with the shock mounts. Not sure if that's what I want to do just yet....

I spaced my shocks out from the chassis, and haven't noticed any problems yet. However I run a lexan body in stead of the "cage". Just use some 3m nuts as temporary spacers to find the right spacing. Then if you want make them out of alum. or delrin

Nice build
scaryclownguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
Like a boss...

Sorry, I posted and bolted....I just got back from the in-laws and Michigan.

To answer one of the questions -

The big bores setup the way they are sit at about 3.5" unmounted. My belly clearance with these is 2 -7/8" with Losi Rock Claws on Vanquish Wheels.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
Like a boss...

So I got asked to give a little update on this build.

Since my last post I actually ended up switching chassis to another DCR I bought, just different color (liked it better).

I still wish I could go inboard with my shocks...so I could get some more steering out of it, but other that I'm pretty happy with with how it came together.

Love the pro-line chisels!

Here's some pics from about a month ago, we had our first night of indoor crawling. I let an employee of mine, Dan drive the rig that night -

and then after about a half an hour he brought it back to me like this -

Pulled the 4mm insert out of my delrin lowers. Easy fix...all better now.

Anyone notice what else *cough* DAN *cough* did?

It was fixed too. Real easy.

I'll try to get some better static pics of it tonight. Really like this rig. Super easy to work on and Jerry/DMG's quality is top notch.

-Mike
Old 03-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I can see the problem from here, you only have a little over 1/8" of thread in the link. You need more or it iwll keep pulling out on you.
Stallion1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #17
Like a boss...

yeah, I had cut those links down shorter from a stock ax-10 length. I didn't think about that when I did it. I cut off what I needed to and just cut the insert off too, so when it pulled, I re-drilled and tapped in a longer insert.

Wasn't really Dan's fault...but it was fun making him feel bad.

But he did give me a nice going away present...do you see it?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #18

Somebody tumbled it onto it's lid??? bounced it off the right rear down tube! Just bend the other to match, good as new.
jeepncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #19
Like a boss...

yep...not sure how he did it...actually didn't even notice till I got home.

I just stuck a screwdriver in there and bent it back straight. Can't even tell.