Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Hot-Racing DIG for ax-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #1

Question Hot-Racing DIG for ax-10

Hey just ordered a dig from hot racing and read somewhere that they dont give instructions for install.? is this true? if so does anyone have any tips for me when i go to install it?
Rowdy_Giff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i dont know if it is true, but it is pretty easy to install. self explanitory pretty much.
Lil Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yes, no instructions, but it is easy to install. Just make sure you put it on the rear side of the tranny which ever way you have it. Either normal or mirrored. I personally put mine on the front and mirrored the trans and it worked out great. I make a custom mount between the top of the frame to mount the servo. Used a simple Futaba 3003 servo and it's holding up great.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

a $40 HR dig (hobby etc. Nashua, NH) and a beat but functioning $25 losi servo of my LTS2

I took the chance on the HR dig after reading some info in this forum. no instructions no big deal. look at some of the pics and read the related info in this forum and you will be fine. I am a newbie and with help of the info here, I worked it out in a day inbetween everything else I had going on, taking serveral walks outback to stare at the icycles forming on the water fall just so I wouldnt need to replace any parts. I know the pros would do it in minutes but patiently and carefully I got it done.

thanks ALL for posting / sharing the info
and HR for a pretty complete set up. no burrs no f'd up parts, put some instructions in there and....!
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default HR dig unit

does the rear axle have to be cut to make the HR dig unit work? anyone have any links to builds where the HR dig unit was utilized in the build? i am tryig to put an HR dig uit in my axial crawler and havent been able to find any directions. so thought i would see how others have installed their HR dig unit.

any one use or have opiions on the DNA and/or Eritex dig units?
BMFOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFOTP View Post
does the rear axle have to be cut to make the HR dig unit work? anyone have any links to builds where the HR dig unit was utilized in the build? i am tryig to put an HR dig uit in my axial crawler and havent been able to find any directions. so thought i would see how others have installed their HR dig unit.

any one use or have opiions on the DNA and/or Eritex dig units?
i about jumped outta my chair when i read "does the rear axle"...anyway...no worries its just some different wording for the rear driveshaft...and YES depending on what shaft and chassis you are using you may have to trim it down...when i ran it in my SWX i trimmed my MIP drive shaft down almost 3/4" but some with a chassis like a Black Widow only needed 3/16"...its a lot easier to figure out using plastic driveshafts...theyre easier to cut and less parts to deal with...
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
i about jumped outta my chair when i read "does the rear axle"...anyway...no worries its just some different wording for the rear driveshaft...and YES depending on what shaft and chassis you are using you may have to trim it down...when i ran it in my SWX i trimmed my MIP drive shaft down almost 3/4" but some with a chassis like a Black Widow only needed 3/16"...its a lot easier to figure out using plastic driveshafts...theyre easier to cut and less parts to deal with...
thanks for clarification. so far what i have is that the axial transmission has to be taken apart and the rear output shaft has to be replaced by the dig unit output shaft. then a spacer is bolted on to the transmission. then the hr dig unit is attached to the spacer. then the driveshaft is attached to the hr dig unit output shaft.

is this correct? if not where have i made my mistakes? thanks in advance
BMFOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You got it pretty much right. The hardest part for me was finding a way and a place to mount the servo.
Don't forget to set the EPA's on your servo too.
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

it does not come with instructions, but however it is assembled about 95% out of the package

the only part that is a pain is u have to turn the trans. around so the motor is on the pass. side, so the dig is in the rear, not the front
NCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote