Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Lower Links...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Traxxas Lower Links...

I have the rock crawler/racer and am converting it to just be a crawler. So, I installed some steel lower links made by Traxxas...Awesome direct bolt on and only 7 bucx for two (14 bux total). Anyway, my question is, I know there are guys here who have used these links and was just curious if you have tips for what to use for the upper links? I want to go to 4 link setup anyway so that won't be an issue. Also, is there a steel setup for the steering linkage?

I'm liking doing it this way because it seems in the end, I'll come in way cheaper than getting the color pack and hardware set (70 bux!!)

Any tips or direction to an already posted thread would be awesome..Thanks guys!!
Shinobid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #2

I use revo rod ends and the appropriate size threaded rod/allthread cut to lenght for both top and bottom links.The lower links have aluminium tubing over then to help them slide on the rocks better. I also run home made 4 link plates front and rear. Both these ideas come from this site, use the search feature and you'll find photos etc of them.I am currently working on a dig using ideas from another post. Good luck
523revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
MODERATOR™

I use these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6072&search=Go

and

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHGB7&P=ML

But these might work also:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKMF0&P=ML
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Sweet, Thanks...I wonder if it would be good to go with the turnbuckle style for adjustment purposes? Anyone?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #5

i run the traxxas turn buckles upper and lower. i have the 5139 ( i think) which is 118mm and i can t remember the uppers but they are 108mm and i put the in the original body post holes. they work good for adjustments, plus i think it looks more scale than a 6mm rod. i also run the 5139 for a steering tie rod and a 68mm for the drag link. i broke the plastic rtr links in about 5 mins.
greasemonkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, I can't help but wonder why they would build this thing with plastic links, they all bend waaaaay too much. When I took the stock plastic lower links off to replace them with the traxxas ones, I noticed both front ones had a permanent bend in them...what is the point of plastic links anyway? Flexibility, I'm sure, but damn, there was one time I was crawling around and I watched one of the front links bend so far that I was afraid something was gonna break.. and the steering setup??? Fugetaboutit!!! .Craziness.

Last edited by Shinobid; 01-25-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #7

I actually did a comp with the stock plastic links. Didn't place last either!
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
TSK
Shelf queen

I think you need to keep in mind it includes plastic linkss because it is a "ready to run" model and in order for axial to keep cost down for you the consumer, certain shortcuts need to be made for cost effectiveness, easy mass production etc. If you are on an assembly line and need to make a grip of these rtr rigs for eveyone I'm sure you are a much happier camper when you don't have to tap, screw and bolt on 8 ala carte link assemblies. It also gives you the consumer the option to upgrade as your skill and wallet allow. Some people want bent link lowers, some want custom delrin links. Some want orange, some want green.

Yeah they bend, warp, blah blah blah... but for any young kid. an rtr as a starter is one of the best things ever, and he can grow and learn with it as it breaks and needs re-build or upgrade. I've been around since to 32 pitch short arm gold tub RC10 amd the Losi JRXT with the five link anti squat rear suspension. Things have come along way, and yes I miss the old days. Cars and trucks back then had more originality amongst the deisgns. Now everything looks like everything else.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I think you need to keep in mind it includes plastic linkss because it is a "ready to run" model and in order for axial to keep cost down for you the consumer, certain shortcuts need to be made for cost effectiveness, easy mass production etc. If you are on an assembly line and need to make a grip of these rtr rigs for eveyone I'm sure you are a much happier camper when you don't have to tap, screw and bolt on 8 ala carte link assemblies.
Yeah, that makes sense...I'm just surprised to see it when I look at some of the other rigs on here and none of them are running the stock plastic links...Just seems alot less popular...It's all good though, I'm upgrading em and lovin' it!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobid View Post
Yeah, that makes sense...I'm just surprised to see it when I look at some of the other rigs on here and none of them are running the stock plastic links...Just seems alot less popular...It's all good though, I'm upgrading em and lovin' it!

I think upgrading is 1/3rd the fun. The other 2/3rd's being building and bashing.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote