Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: axial and controller not communicating?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #1

Default axial and controller not communicating?

so the other day i was out crawlin, havin a great time haha.. anyways, out of the blue it stopped working..

steering AND throttle.. the wheels were cut to one side so i pushed them back to center and both controls worked for less than 10 seconds.

So i turned the controller and car off, waited 5-10 seconds, and turned it back on.. again it only responded for a few seconds.

Went home, charged the battery, got new batteries for the controller even though the red light hadnt started flashing yet.

drove it around my front yard, and the steering is a lot slower than it used to be and got stuck a few times.

figured it was good to go, nope. took it to crawl again and it was being flaky, but if i slightly kicked it then it would work again for a short period, once again the steering was also being really sluggish..

The stupid car is just one thing after another and i want to get rid of it but at the same time i dont.

Any ideas?
sfaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #2

I and a friend of mine also had this problem. We ditched the RTR radio for a Traxxas TQ3. No problems since.
GTOAX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #3

i want a new controller eventually to support the dig, but its not in the budget right now trying to save for a new DD and all lol.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #4

Well, if you have any other AM controllers around that would prob work too. Just switch the crystal.
GTOAX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

So judging by your signature, you have a RTR ax10.

Does the ESC make it's all good chime ready to go chime? Have you checked all the physical connections. If you have another tx/rx I would hook it up to see if it's your receiver that is fubar'd or your esc.
mockknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockknight View Post
So judging by your signature, you have a RTR ax10.

Does the ESC make it's all good chime ready to go chime? Have you checked all the physical connections. If you have another tx/rx I would hook it up to see if it's your receiver that is fubar'd or your esc.
yea, RTR sorry..

yes, it makes the chime noise..
Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

just shooting this idea out there, but maybe you have a bad or loose crystal? they are cheap to replace.

it does seem like a Tx/Rx issue.

2.4 ghz for peace of mind.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKilla View Post
just shooting this idea out there, but maybe you have a bad or loose crystal? they are cheap to replace.

it does seem like a Tx/Rx issue.

2.4 ghz for peace of mind.
i'm a noob to the RC world.. what do you mean by the 2.4ghz stuff? its a frequency or channel or w/e right?

the crystals both seem like they're in there tight.. i may take it up to hobby town or another hobby store later and see if they'll swap the crystal into another controller and see if that works, or swap new crystals in and see what happens

its all just frustrating.. right after i got the losi rock claws on it, cut the foams and put weights on the wheels.. then it went down, then it worked again..

i got an aluminum servo arm and that stripped out after one run..

now i got the super soft front springs and finally got oil back into the shock so it was working amazing, now its dead again

lol.. w/e
its *just* more money right?

Last edited by sfaranger; 01-26-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaranger View Post
i'm a noob to the RC world.. what do you mean by the 2.4ghz stuff?
2.4ghz is just a radio type that most drivers are switching over to. as apposed to having a AM or FM radio.
many benefits to having one, if you are going to compete or be around many other crawlers. but it does cost $$$$

look into it. and if you have extra money to burn go for it. im happy with mine

but i would recomend figuring out the problem before going to the extreme of just purchasing a new radio , if that is the issue.

Last edited by BuzzKilla; 01-26-2009 at 11:25 AM.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like an ESC issue to me, and your servo may be hurting after it yarded full yank when it died.

Your talking about a standard servo with approximately 40 or so oz/in of torque and plastic gears. The motor in the servo or the board itself is potentialy damaged.

2.4 GHZ (Spektrum) which is crystal free, is the best choice if you do upgrade your Tx, but I'd take care of the truck first...you can still run it with the stock radio set up.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
Sounds like an ESC issue to me, and your servo may be hurting after it yarded full yank when it died.

Your talking about a standard servo with approximately 40 or so oz/in of torque and plastic gears. The motor in the servo or the board itself is potentialy damaged.

2.4 GHZ (Spektrum) which is crystal free, is the best choice if you do upgrade your Tx, but I'd take care of the truck first...you can still run it with the stock radio set up.
its an upgraded all metal internal one, i broke the origional plastic one a while ago..
Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

If you determine it is a radio problem you can get a TQ3 off of Ebay for a little over $25 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-TQ3-Tran...3A1%7C294%3A50 It's not 2.4 ghz but it's a cheap way to get you running for now.

Good luck.
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBkr View Post
If you determine it is a radio problem you can get a TQ3 off of Ebay for a little over $25 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-TQ3-Tran...3A1%7C294%3A50 It's not 2.4 ghz but it's a cheap way to get you running for now.

Good luck.

3 channels as in, it can support a dig setup too?

we have narrowed the problem down to the crystals them self, the receiver or transmitter correct? granted, I know thats means nothing because it could be something kinda sorta-but not really, related... *shrugs*

if i get that it will replace all of that stuff right? I have the cash so i may just do that.. and then just buy the dig kit as well
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

pop your reciver open, your antenna wire may have broke the solder that would be the first thing I would check
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote