Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Help please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Help please!

Im running the SWX chassis with 4-link in the back and stock 3-link front. I want to keep the 3-link but want to improve my pinion angle. I have tried moving the upper link mounting on all the locations and its not helping. If I use longer upper links it tilts the axle forward and then the steering is all messed up. Please help me!

Also Im running losi shocks all around with axial shafts in them to get more ride height. The front is really stiff and doesnt articulate it all comes from the rears. I have played with the shock oils and mounting locations and it doesnt help. Running white spring in the front and yellow in the rear. I need help on this as well. Could pepole share their set-ups?
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Post some pics of the underside and side view. It will help us alot to see what needs to be done.
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Oh should have mentioned, I dont have a camera. Do you want crappy phone pictures?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

when i had my swx i noticed that the ball end link were binding on the skid plate so i shaved the end links a little and i got plenty of travel up front check that out
rctrav27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks but I know thats not it. Thanks for the tip though
Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

pictures would really help. crappy cell phone pics or not.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i would change the axial shafts back to the losi. you should get plenty of ride height that set up. if you still want to change pinion angle without using longer upper links you can buy new c knuckles that allow you to change angles(i believe they are made by rcp, not sure in that). with white springs in front you be really soft. make sure you're not binding anywhere...good luck
ROCKCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
pictures would really help. crappy cell phone pics or not.
Ok I'll get some up in a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKCAD View Post
i would change the axial shafts back to the losi. you should get plenty of ride height that set up. if you still want to change pinion angle without using longer upper links you can buy new c knuckles that allow you to change angles(i believe they are made by rcp, not sure in that). with white springs in front you be really soft. make sure you're not binding anywhere...good luck
Ok I'll try the losi shafts. I'll double check nothings binding, and thats what I thought on the springs
Old 01-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #9

without seeing pics its hard to say but i will give it my best. on stock axial axles you will want your pinon almost horizontal to the ground to get proper steering. that should not be such a big deal if your ride height is around 2.5"
or less you can even push it close to 3" depending on the setup. so if your drive shaft is binding within those parameters then fix your setup as there is probably something wrong. if it is not binding and you just want a better pinon angle buy the clockable axle c's from rcp
TWISTEDBYDESIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Ya no the pinion angle isn't so bad it causes binding I just dont like it. Im gonna try a lower ride height and space the three link at the y-link.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

How much weight are running in the tires? Added unsprung weight in the front will greatly improve your problem as long as nothing is binding.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Oh ya thats true huh, Im running vanquish wheels with 4 weights in each front whatever that equals
Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

That should be plenty of weight. The only other thing I can think of is your upper link placement. Either at the axle or at the chassis. You need the right amount of seperation on the chassis to get the antisquat you need. This may be your problem, when the front is loaded up tring to climb a ledge with only one tire, the suspension will want to squat, hence the other front tire will not droop. The links need to almost parralell to each other. You will want more seperation at the chassis side than the axle side.
There are several threads here about antisquat, rollcenter,ect-ect. Look them up in the search menu and see if it makes sense. Hope this helps.