Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 2JSC's X-Trail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 2JSC's X-Trail

Thought I'd go a head and start a thread on this. This project came to be because I won a raffle held by Shane of SAC Racing. I was lucky (under statement) enough to win an AX10 ARTR. Since I don't live within 80 miles of anyone to compete with, I decided that I'd rather build another scaler. This one being a quick build more for trail bashing.

Specs:
AX10 ARTR
TCS X-Trail Chassis
SCX-10 Dual Spring Shocks
FX-R 35T Combo (ordering soon)
8-cell 2/3a Brick (ordering soon)
Spektrum Z590 Servo (donated by a friend for previous project)
Spektrum DX3.0 Radio

I hope to get all the remaining electronics here soon so that I can have a runner. Been starting to get RC withdrawals, been way too long since I've had a working one. Id didn't really want to run the stock shocks in droop, so I bolted on the stock SCX-10 shocks that I got from Altered Image here on RCC. I was going to use them on Ivy, but they are a tad short. I think they will work fine on the X-Trail.

I mounted the eletronics tray in the center of the chassis over the front. I just used the stock frame spacers from my AX10 kit and turned them around. The rear acts as a spacer for the Y-link upper mounts. And the front just bolts to the top of the two available holes on the chassis under the shock mounts.

The electronics tray should be bolted on last, I fought with it for about 5 minutes before I started thinking. It's a super tight fit, but the lock-nut clears the plate by a hair.

Currently have the stock ARTR Hammers on and will run them for the time. I do have some Flat-Irons and Rock Carvers on stand by if I so choose to swap them out. As far as a body goes. I have a beat up used Rubicon body that looks like a smurf. I'll probably run that for a while and then pick up a Blazer CGR.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #2

looking good so far keep us updated man
postalray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Aww...whaaaaa whaaaa...no one to comp with

I have all kinds of guys to go comp with...I just never get to actually go

There's a bunch of us getting together for a campout/wheeling weekend in Payette on the weekend of 5/30. We're going to camp Friday & Saturday nights, wheel Saturday, and go home Sunday. I hope to have my XJ up and road worthy again by then. I was also hoping to have at least one of my projects done if not a couple...so I can take them with.

Oh yeah...the build looks good. Not much done though...I mean it was ARTR
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

cool cool a black cgr blazer with the orange stuff would look sweet!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Even if there were comps held close by, I'm not much of a competitor.

Sounds good! I usually work the weekends and already asked for the 7-9th off to go camping at Payette Draw and do a little wheeling. I hope I can at least get this sucker running by then. I might be able to swindle someone into covering for me on the 2nd... will have to look into it.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Nice rig. i will be following this build.
blue bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

So I'm wide awake and spy my old WK electronics and my DX3.0 sitting there that I have yet to use. I dropped in all the WK stuff and set up the radio. It took me a good 2 hours to get it all figured out. The manual is a bit confusing, but with a ton on tinkering, I've got it working half decent. The Z590 servo (Thanks Brian!!!) is giving me full throw left and right... but the throttle is EXTREMELY touchy.

I'm not going to mess with it a whole lot because I'm ordering an FX-R this weekend and don't want to completely fubar any of the settings.

Just thought I'd share... and I have a "working" RC again.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

DAMNIT!

I was toying with it today and notice the driver side rear wheel was wobbling pretty bad. Though it was just the wheel loose so I checked it, tight. So I said, hopefully not a bent axle. Took it out and sure enough. That sucker is tweaked GOOD. Think Axial would replace it seeing as its brand new?

OH - And I go to take the wheel hex off and the set screw is striped. Uhg.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
DAMNIT!

I was toying with it today and notice the driver side rear wheel was wobbling pretty bad. Though it was just the wheel loose so I checked it, tight. So I said, hopefully not a bent axle. Took it out and sure enough. That sucker is tweaked GOOD. Think Axial would replace it seeing as its brand new?

OH - And I go to take the wheel hex off and the set screw is striped. Uhg.

Yeah they should take care of it. They are pretty good about that. Just call the CS line.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Harley, I sent them an e-mail... but I bent it back. Looks to be ok. I re installed it and romped on the throttle. The severe wobble is pretty much close to none. Looks like the rest of the wheels wobbling just a tad from unballance tires/wheels.

Going to order some spare shafts along with my FX-R and maybe some more wheel hex's.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I stuck my stock WK electronics in it just to get it running and check for clearances. The motor is a little close to the tray, but there is enough room. I'll trim the tray if I have to. I have an FX-R 35T combo on the way and will be ordering some 8cell 2/3A packs tomorrow. The reciever, FX-R and battery should all be able to sit on the tray without issues.

There is PLENTY of room under the tray to clear the steering servo even under full stuff.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I finally got it running... after some electronics issues. Seems to be running pretty good now. I found a 40w Weller iron at Ace Hardware for cheap and my connectors and wire showed up so I got everything solder in good and clean. Also just got some new wheels in from Cory @ RPP. Man these things are HEAVY! I also installed some STRC Orange knuckles and black-hub carriers. I took the rig for a quick test drive in the house and made it up some stairs in the living room, I think the heavy ass wheels did most of that lol. It seems to perform quite well as is, but I'm afraid that the wheels may be too heavy and end up breaking stuff. The 55t does have a bit of wheel speed on 8-cells... but I'm thinking a 45t or 35t will be great, if I can find one. Also thinking of ordering some paint and doing up my Betty body in a silver/gray color.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looking good so far James and I really like the wheels. Glad that servo is working out for you!
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

lookin good! i like the rims.
brasseagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm thinking of taking a Sharpie to the letters on the wheels right now. It's getting boring running it around the house and yard without a body, so I ordered up some spray paint and it should be here on the 29th. I have half an HPI Rubicon body I can practice on befire shooting my Betty body.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well I took it out today for some real testing and it performed great! I think I need to play with the radio or the esc a little because it seemed much faster reversing than forward. Even with all the weight in the Titus wheels, the drag brake held very well. On really steep decents it was a very slow controled roll. I had a blast and am definitely heading back out after I repair it. I busted a trans output. Looks like the set screw backed out and was able to tear it off. Need more loc-tite.

I don't have a camera with me, so no photos, sorry.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Any updates on this one?

JP
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

No, not really. Did you have some questions or something about it?

It's a fun little trail basher and that is what I built it for. Its running again after the repairs to the trans... the 55t is a little on the slow side, even with the 8-cell pack. It's currently only a little faster than I normaly walk, so I'm thinking of getting a 35t for it. I'll be starting another build soon, just waiting for the chassis to show up.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Subscribed-

I'd like to hear how the SCX shocks work out for you.
rock_krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #20
PapaGriz Yo

Why aren't you working on Ivy?

Nice work so far, the 35T on 8 cells will make it more fun to drive I think.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote