Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: OK so I'm sold on the AX10 but is there any other color than green??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default OK so I'm sold on the AX10 but is there any other color than green??

After some research online, a bunch of debating between me and my wallet, and a hour of the gallery, I decided I want a Axial AX10. I'm sold on the performance of the rig, but I'm really tired of seeing the green. I saw the ARTR comes in Orange which I like, but is there any difference between the ARTR and regular kit you have to build yourself??
Happy_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

the artr comes with better tires and bent clearance rear links, as far as i know thats about it
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

They don't sell a the kit or artr in different colors but for 41.99 you can buy different colors.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVEX2&P=7 red
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVEX3&P=7 blue
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVEX1&P=7 green
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVEX4&P=7 orange
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWDP3&P=7 grey
hitman1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Easy fix

Just sell the green parts and buy whatever color you want. Replacement metal is around 40 bucks.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

e z off works..... and cheep
rugerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The ARTR comes with straight rear axles and lockouts, also has the metal diff lockers and orange aluminum parts as well as the much better Pro-Line Hammer tires.

A better buy than the kit version IMO, and like posted, you buy a color "kit" to change all the aluminum to other colors.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Also like stated above, you can use EZ Off oven cleaner as a bath for the anodized parts, and it'll strip that nasty green right off. Works like a charm. The ARTR is definitely the better way to go too. Then you get to choose your motor and electronics, which you would want to upgrade anyway. I recommend the Tekin FXR and 55 turn motor combo. Depends on your budget, but the Spektrum DX3R is the cat's ass for a controller too. You will love this hobby! Welcome to it!
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

sounds good, so I take it that the ARTR is actually a " better " kit, but what is the deal with straight rear axle? I see that it has bent rear link, I thought all axles are straight.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Straight rear axle means it is a solid axle shaft, not a dog bone end and a stub shaft. Locking out the rear with a solid shaft reduces end play and 4ws is not comp legal, so a straight shaft is much preferred.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

How about the RTC?? does that mean "Ready To Crawl"?? I'm starting to find more and more different versions as I go along. Is the drive shafts a must change to metal??

Last edited by Happy_trucker; 05-13-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The RTC isn't out yet, and yes it means Ready To Crawl. It has a radio, servo and 55t motor. You just need a battery and charger. Metal drive shafts are a great upgrade, but not necessary.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

ok cool Thanks for the advise, I think I'll shoot for the ARTR and maybe aluminum if the plastics break.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

if you do the artr and are worried about drive shafts you can use traxxas stampede ones and they work great the rtc has the new improved driveshafts... but we will have to wait and see how they hold up
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

thanks for the tips guys, but I have a new dilemma, I just realized they have a SCX10. I see that the SCX10 looks like a very capable crawling rig that is more to scale(which I like) than the AX10, but AX10 seems to be a better crawler(what I want) than the SCX10. What to do??
Old 05-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

That choice is TOTALLY up to YOU...Do you want a competition style crawler,or do you want a scale style crawler?

The SCX10 is a Great SCALE crawler and does well on the rocks.

The AX10 is a Great COMP crawler,and does excellent on the rocks

MODS will be in your future!....MONEY will not
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #16
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

If what you want is a better crawler, then go with the RTC, they should be out next week.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

And certainly your mods/money ratio will be out of hand. The curse we all live with. Gunnar, you think the RTC is a better choice than the ARTR? Although it's probably cheaper, wouldn't it be better to start with the ARTR and buy better electronics out of the gate, instead of upgrading after?
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayze View Post
And certainly your mods/money ratio will be out of hand. The curse we all live with. Gunnar, you think the RTC is a better choice than the ARTR? Although it's probably cheaper, wouldn't it be better to start with the ARTR and buy better electronics out of the gate, instead of upgrading after?
I'm thinking the same thing, I was planning on the ARTR and maybe trying some comp. I don't know if I want to change all the links to metal, but if they are metal already.... problem solved.

Ok guys, thanks for clearing up the air for me, I think I've made up my mind. I'll think get the ARTR, I have the Tamiya Tundra as my scaler, but it's not too capable. The ARTR will be my bday present from the wifey this year and the SCX10 for the next bday or Xmas
Old 05-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #19
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayze View Post
Well, not really. If Happy Trucker wants to build a really capable rig, then he should just get two axle housings and a transmission, and just buy comp-worthy parts. Obviously he already has radio equipment, so the ARTR would be the next choice(and you'd still have to get upgrades). I just mentioned the RTC so he could start crawling the fastest way(and you'd still have to buy/get/make upgrades). You are correct Maze, and I do agree with you.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote