Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: torque twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default torque twist

when my axial ax10 is on a flat surface it tilts to one side when i apply the throttle. is that torque twist and how do i stop it.
chessmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

as i look at it could be because the esc has such a harsh drag brake that it lifts of the rear left wheel when i let go of the throttle. could that be?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmaster View Post
when my axial ax10 is on a flat surface it tilts to one side when i apply the throttle. is that torque twist and how do i stop it.
First I suggest you do some research on this subject here on RC Crawler. Its been addressed a number of times.

Yes, it is torque twist.

As for stopping it, I am running a 4 link setup on the rear of mine. I use a stock servo plate mounted on the rear, and have 2 holes drilled in them, one for each link. If you add spacers under one link so it sits up higher than the other, or one on top and one on bottom, it will create an off center roll center that will neutralize the torque twist.

torque twist - pix needed!
Shayne82609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

search for mirrored transmission this should eliminate all tt,it has for mine anyways. i also run the four link out back and out front. little changes at a time to see what works best for you, good luck.
bigheadandmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

the wheels in the front dont really come off the ground its more the rear ones do when i stop the throttle quickly. it goes along then when i let go the back left wheel comes off the ground.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

check your shocks setup too. I have experienced with this problem when i use droop setup but now change back to normal shocks.
deephis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Keep it real

Here's some good info
torque twist
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Installing the Axial gear set in front also helps torque twist

AX30401 - 36/14 Gear Set
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
Installing the Axial gear set in front also helps torque twist

AX30401 - 36/14 Gear Set
How did that help TT?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

learn to drive with it its not that hard.
nightcrawler86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
How did that help TT?

Since the front is pulling the truck and rear is lagging behind it dosen't twist. I like it a lot. I got 15th place out of 36. I have no DIG yet.

You can read this long link. Near the end you can read about peoples comments on torque twist.
Optional Ratio Gear Sets

That is what BENDER is running. He was first place in our last comp.

Last edited by SDheavymetal; 06-04-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
Since the front is pulling the truck and rear is lagging behind it dosen't twist. I like it a lot. I got 15th place out of 36. I have no DIG yet.

You can read this long link. Near the end you can read about peoples comments on torque twist.
Optional Ratio Gear Sets

That is what BENDER is running. He was first place in our last comp.
Is Brad currently running the overdrive gears in the front with stock in the rear or the underdrive gears in the rear with stock in the front?(both would make the front rotate faster).

Brad sent me both over and under drive gears to play around with, and after testing all kinds of combo's, I'm currently running underdrive front and rear.....I just wish there was an under-underdrive set to put in the rear for even lower gearing back there for the drag effect;)

Last edited by Tanis; 06-04-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Is Brad currently running the overdrive gears in the front with stock in the rear or the underdrive gears in the rear with stock in the front?(both would make the front rotate faster).

Brad sent me both over and under drive gears to play around with, and after testing all kinds of combo's, I'm currently running underdrive front and rear.....I just wish there was an under-underdrive set to put in the rear for even lower gearing back there for the drag effect;)
Last time I read Brad was running overdrive gears in front stock in rear. Just what I read.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmaster View Post
the wheels in the front dont really come off the ground its more the rear ones do when i stop the throttle quickly. it goes along then when i let go the back left wheel comes off the ground.

Thats newton's law of physics. Mine does that too.
oldvintageiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #15

ok, did i miss somthing? My front right wheel constenly comes off the ground, i cant put any more weight on it, WHY, WHY, does this happen???
im running stock 3 link, do i need a 4 link?

thanks for the help,

3 wheel climber
CHEETAHRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEETAHRON View Post
ok, did i miss somthing? My front right wheel constenly comes off the ground, i cant put any more weight on it, WHY, WHY, does this happen???
im running stock 3 link, do i need a 4 link?

thanks for the help,

3 wheel climber
Yes a 4 link will help that. Installing the gears in the front diff will help. Axial part #AX30401

Last edited by SDheavymetal; 06-05-2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: added part #
Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

it all has to to with suspention set up, read up on 4 links, squat / anti squat, COG, roll axis, link length, triangulation etc etc will all play a part in how your suspention works, you will never eliminat the forces that cause TT on a shafty but you can make them so absolutly minimal that you will have no idea they are there

all these things like running the back shock with a heavier oil or a stiffer spring are just bandaid fixes and dont really solve any thing just hide it.

with my set up my junk climbs till it has to grip or goes over backwards and does it all with out any noticable TT
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

if you want to alleviate TT, get a skidplate that "inboards" the lower links.... 4link the upper links(these two "mods" reduced TT greatly for me)......
my TT was gone before I got the overdrive gears up front but from what I've read that helps(not only TT, but turning radius, and climbing).... flip your tranny around?-I read something about that one.

while your at it get yourself a GC2(not mine, I'm keeping mine now), got impatient trying to work with the ax10 chassis-so I picked up a GC2 and all of a sudden TT was gone.
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote