Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: RTC leaking shock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RTC leaking shock

got 1 leaky shock, I'm a newb to hobby grade RCs. I've trashed plenty of throw away cars.

Any how, I've done some searching, haven't really found a good answer short of rebuilding. Which I don't know where to start, I mean the shock bodies are plastic, I would think wrenching on them in any sort of way would just fubar them up.

I read a thread that said to tighting the cartridge up? Only thing I see that you might be able to tighten is on the bottom there is uhh I would say 10mm hex nut molded into the plastic, I don't know if wrenching on it would round off the threads. When it comes to tightning to I do have a heavy hand, and tend to strip or round things off quite frequently, so I'm trying to be as dainty as possible.

Thanks!
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki View Post
got 1 leaky shock, I'm a newb to hobby grade RCs. I've trashed plenty of throw away cars.

Any how, I've done some searching, haven't really found a good answer short of rebuilding. Which I don't know where to start, I mean the shock bodies are plastic, I would think wrenching on them in any sort of way would just fubar them up.

I read a thread that said to tighting the cartridge up? Only thing I see that you might be able to tighten is on the bottom there is uhh I would say 10mm hex nut molded into the plastic, I don't know if wrenching on it would round off the threads. When it comes to tightning to I do have a heavy hand, and tend to strip or round things off quite frequently, so I'm trying to be as dainty as possible.

Thanks!
Just take it off the truck and clean it up. Make sure if there is an air bladder that it is in good shape. After you have taken the cap off to do this make sure all the o-rings are good, and I'm not sure if there is a cap on the bottom as I am not familiar with that shock, but if there is make sure it is good and tight. I would think that a good hand tightening will be good. Fill the shock with oil, then cycle it till you see all the air come to the surface. Make sure the air bladder is seated in the cap, then collapse the shock and screw the cap on. Tighten it up good with your hands (use a bolt through the eye to help) and see how it feels. It should be smooth, if its not try again, if its still leaking then check everything again and try it once more.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks a bundle, after I posted I decided to fart around a youtube, seems fairly simple other then the fact I'm dealing with plastic shock bodies rather then metal. I don't have any shock oil on hand, will have to pick some up. Not sure what weight is in there from the get go.

I'll try that and if it continues to leak, may see about upgrading to the metal aluminum shock bodies.

Last edited by Chuki; 06-17-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #4

ya Ive got the same prob on my ax 10 stock shocks so im thinking of using some teflon tape and see if that work and if not I guess im going to shop around
V-towncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks a bundle, after I posted I decided to fart around a youtube, seems fairly simple other then the fact I'm dealing with plastic shock bodies rather then metal. I don't have any shock oil on hand, will have to pick some up. Not sure what weight is in there from the get go.

I'll try that and if it continues to leak, may see about upgrading to the metal aluminum shock bodies.

No problem. Metal shock bodies would be a good idea. The Crawler store has some nice aluminum shocks in various lengths that are very affordable and the quality is good. Try this link http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Shocks-Sh...p-1-c-279.html

I have the yeah racing ones on my truck. I like them so far.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
More Quality parts from Axial

Save your self the headache and time and buy 3rd party shocks.
Well from the sounds of it, leaking shocks isn't all to uncommon. How do we know its a design flaw on axials part? Maybe its because where I crawl in my backyard there is also alot of dirt. I do my best to keep it clean.

I'm not blaming anyone, I'm wanting to know how I can fix it, I know there is better out there. There will always be better, I want to fix what I have.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Well from the sounds of it, leaking shocks isn't all to uncommon. How do we know its a design flaw on axials part? Maybe its because where I crawl in my backyard there is also alot of dirt. I do my best to keep it clean.

I'm not blaming anyone, I'm wanting to know how I can fix it, I know there is better out there. There will always be better, I want to fix what I have.
You can try and replace the O-rings if its leaking from the shaft and if its leaking from the caps you can use teflon tape (the kind plumbers use) on the threads. I would personaly buy better shocks.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well from the sounds of it, leaking shocks isn't all to uncommon. How do we know its a design flaw on axials part?
Original AX-10 shocks are a problem for some people, leaks and such, design flaws. But Axial has responded in fine style with the totally new shock design like the ones on your RTC. They haven't been out for long so there's not much history with 'em yet. I suspect some responders here may not have noticed. It seems even the new ones can leak if not properly assembled, but it doesn't look like a design flaw.

I would suggest remove the bottom cartridge, carefully check all the seals for cuts or tears. If all good, clean it up good, top up the oil (30 Wt. should do) then screw it in tight by hand, and see how it goes.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
Original AX-10 shocks are a problem for some people, leaks and such, design flaws. But Axial has responded in fine style with the totally new shock design like the ones on your RTC. They haven't been out for long so there's not much history with 'em yet. I suspect some responders here may not have noticed. It seems even the new ones can leak if not properly assembled, but it doesn't look like a design flaw.

I would suggest remove the bottom cartridge, carefully check all the seals for cuts or tears. If all good, clean it up good, top up the oil (30 Wt. should do) then screw it in tight by hand, and see how it goes.

Cheers.
Good advice.

These new shock are awesome, as I've said before. Even the plastic versions are silky smooth. I'd just try topping them off with oil and tightening the top cap and lower cartridge. Teflon tape isn't a bad idea either.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Good advice.

These new shock are awesome, as I've said before. Even the plastic versions are silky smooth. I'd just try topping them off with oil and tightening the top cap and lower cartridge. Teflon tape isn't a bad idea either.
Thanks guys, when you say 30wt can I use just plain ole motor oil, or do I need to run to the next town over and get some actual shock oil?

The local hobby shop here is nothing but planes, but they can order it for me

Also would it be advisable and is there such a thing as boots for these things? My crawl pile in my backyard also has alot of loose dirt. Is this going to pose a problem?

Thanks again, you guys rock!

Last edited by Chuki; 06-20-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks guys, when you say 30wt can I use just plain ole motor oil, or do I need to run to the next town over and get some actual shock oil?

The local hobby shop here is nothing but planes, but they can order it for me
I think motor oil will eat the o-rings as it is hydrocarbon based, shock oil is silicon based.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
They haven't been out for long so there's not much history with 'em yet. I suspect some responders here may not have noticed. It seems even the new ones can leak if not properly assembled, but it doesn't look like a design flaw.
That post was a reply to what appears to be a deleted post, basically poking fun at axial, stating its a design flaw. I don't think it is, I was simply stating that since I play around in a rather filthy enviroment that could have caused it. I also did get a good turn on the bottom cartridge (10mm nut), but haven't had time to play yet, but it is low and needs to be topped off anyway.