Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Aussie's decked out SSS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Aussie's decked out SSS

I have have just started assembling my SSS using parts from the old rig. Even if it totally sucks (which I doubt it will) I will keep it on just cause it looks so awesome

My only grumble with the SSS kit is the front link plates were not properly countersunk, including two that weren't countersunk whatsoever:-(. No big deal as I just whipped out to the shed and countersunk them, but still. Maybe I am just stupid, but there was some countersunk bolts and some spacers also included in the kit which I have no idea what they are for:?.

My mega rant is the dna motor plate. It is super thick so I won't bend, but the threads sucked They were cut on an angle and already two of them have stripped (I haven't overtightened them). Not sure if I got unlucky or what:?. Luckily I just drilled the striped ones out and used a countersink bolt and a nut, or just used some longer bolts, but I am not happy.

If you need some new wheels get the psychos, they are awesome. Apart from looking cool, they really pull out the tread and side biters in you tyre, but are a pita to fit.

List of parts

Dna F/R link plates
Dna Psychos
Dna SSS kit
Overdrive gears
HD gears
Axial clockable c's
Felsenfest lockers
CKRC high steer knuckles
Futaba S1957 425oz/inch
Maxamps 2000mah
Holmes Hobbies puller
12/87 gearing
HR dig ( wish I was a magician and could turn it into a VP)
FXR
DX6i
CKRC straight axles
Losi Comp Claws
XC 1 body
Assorted links, spacers, bolts and nuts from the CR01 kit

This is what the motor plate threads look like

This is how narrow the Psychos are

Just some random pics from the build up

Mandatory flex shot

And what I have left of the old rig

Plz post what you reckon of it. Hopefully should have some finished and on the rocks pics sone

thanks for lookin
Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Dude sucks about that motor plate. I would email DNA about that, cause that don't fly in my book. And I had the same gripe about the servo/link plate. They told me not everyone mounts the battery to the servo plate so the end holes aren't counter sunk.... but you still need it countersunlk for the servo so yeah... wuteva. Also those countersunk bolts you were talking about were for mounting the skid to the side plates. Which you would also have to countersink yourself. I decided to use button head screws instead since I decided to triangulate the lowers more, and aslo, I figured that chassis would be stronger if I didn't countersink the side plates. Especially since that's where they were breaking on the protos. Looks like you are using cap screws, so I would definitely switch to buttons heads for less chance of getting caught up. I also think you'll have to run the front links on the outside of the chassis. The driveshaft and /or spur will be tight with the links where you have them.Otherwise it's looking good yo.

Last edited by TSK; 08-10-2009 at 05:06 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
RCC Addict

No way I will be countersinking the side plate. I agree they should countersink the link plate, as you have to mount your servo there anyway:?. I havn't got any button heads long enough. So it will have to be cap screws for the time being. Hmm might have to email DNA.

Kieren
Old 08-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You should E-mail DNA. They build great products, but everone lets something slip through the cracks, every now and then. I'm sure if you e-mailed them with pics. they would make it right. As a business owner myself, I invite the opportunity to fix a problem a customer has, IF I KNOW ABOUT IT! Let them know, or don't be upset with them.IMO

BTW, Truck looks great, keep the pics coming. I ordered mine an hour ago.
Rocks R. Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks Just emailing them now.

Kieren
Old 08-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
RCC Addict

DNA rc customer service rocks They are going to replace it free of charge. Apparently it is an old problem that has been fixed, so I just go unlucky. So buy them with peace of mind I don't think I have ever dealt with a company with this excellent customer service

Thanks DNA
Kieren
Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

K, the build looks awesome! Now let's see some shots of it on the rocks...posers or not I need pics
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Thanks for the kind words. I might be able to get some back yard pics up the this afternoon (probably tomorrow for you), but on the rocks proberly won't be until Saturday or so, as I would have to go to the dam, but I might be able to find somewhere else just for you

Kieren
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
www.team3sixrc.com

Actually that motor plate is an easy fix, if you have a metal drill bit with an cone tip. you can just drill it from the spur side and run some countersink screws that way. Don had worked on a few and I got one of those. and it works nice. it doesnt take that much to do and it will hold on a hell of alot better. My build is bullet proof. i suggest that you add them spacers in the axial tabs so you gain strength and not flex so bad. You dont want to snap the torsion arms or the tabs. If you go to my link in the Signature, I think i have all the mods and size screws you need to make it work
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I will be sticking red 15mm spacers between the 'axle tabs' to strengthen them. I have done the countersink mod with one of the screw holes, but as I have a dig, I don't have any countersink bolts long enough to go through the extra plate and spacers. To make it worse 3mm bolts are a total pita to get here (were I live). I have a countersink, but it would have trouble countersinking fresh dog crap It is a bit slow on delrin, but with alloy it would take a year. It was only a cheapy and good quality countersinks cost $60-80 local currency. I am not made of money.

Kieren
Old 08-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
www.team3sixrc.com

Try and order from RCScrewz.com. You can order just a few things of what you need. Like I said I have the size screws ya need on my thread. I shipped to Austrailia, so it doesnt cost that much, just takes a little bit to get there. if worse comes to worse. just tell me what you need and ill order them and ship ya some if you just pay me for the shipping and whatever you ordered. hell i shipped an RC shell painted to there and that cost $40.00 but only because the box was 22x10x9, and the package i mailed there not too long ago only cost me $10.00
Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Thanks for the offer mate I will just use what I got for the time being and next payday, get some screws and spacers and whatnot

Kieren
Old 08-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Default ****Special Update****For billet works****

****Special Update****For billet works****

Got here running and it is awesome I know my batt set up is crap and my esc is to high and I haven't go a dig servo so I have to keep pushing it back into 4wd, but I totally rocks. Only time the wheels left the ground was when I was climbing a steepish slope and one of the rear wheels was dropping in and out of traction. This resulted in the front right tyre lifting slightly. Might fiddle around with the links to see what I can do. Word of advice buy a SSS and cvds BEFORE you buy a dig. You basically don't need one. It turns that sharp Just need mister Holmes to hurry up and come out with his sensored outrunner so I can run a battery that actually fits on the front

Enoough of my ramblings

The pics were taken by me whilst driving so arn't the best. None are posers. They are all driven into (and most driven out of). They are on my backyard 'course' which is made up of very slick sand and clay(i think)

Pics

Overall it is a great rig and thanks to DNA for making such a great product Anyone who lives in Australia near me is NOT allowed to buy them as it is officially my not so secret weapon.

Thanks for looking
Kieren
Old 08-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

See, now don't you feel better that you contacted them!
It pays to give a company the benifit of doubt and bring a problem to their attention. I thought they would take care of you

Pics are great, I ordered mine 2 day shipping, so I should have a build started before the weekend

Keep up the good work!
Rocks R. Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

About the counter sinking, If you"re stuck with out the correct tool do what I do on a regular basis : use a bigger drill bit (a 5.5 mm works fine) to create a counter sunk. It ain't pretty but it works & it's quick.
The build is looking good Kieren.
big_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Turned out great. I really need to give one a shot. My CFX does great but I am really liking my 1.9sss. We might be starting a sportsman's class and this with no dig would be Killer. Hey Don!
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thanks for all the kind words Looking forward to seeing yours Rock R good. Not fair I had to wait 17 days to get mine:-(. Oh don't forget 2 packs of large revo ends

Thanks for the tip Big boss

Big flex in australia we already have a limited class. Which is no dig (I think) Might have to look into it a bit more and finds some comps The SSS would be the perfect sportsmans rig as a) for $95 you have delrin links, 4link plates, delrin skid and side plates. b) you don't have to purchase expensive 'Comp worthy' shocks. As it is so light drive train strength is not so much of a problem, so you can go from crappy rtr to berg eating comp rig for $95. You can't even buy a set of straight axles and alloy cs and knuckles for that. Never drove a SS, but I am pretty sure you will never go back after driving a SSS. Just keep the wheelspeed down and your golden

Kieren
Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Had a bit more of a drive today and I set up a ramp. This thing is unreal The only thing holding it back is grip. This dirt stuff is uber slick. You don't need a dig you just touch the rear tyre in which direction you want to go and around she swings:-( That ramp is on some crazy angle. I put something under the rear axle in the 2nd pic as I am taking pics and if I let off the throttle it would slide (The drag brake on the puller is awesome) I might be able to get a few more degrees if Panther makes kamikazes 2.2 cobras (not the ordinary cobras). It will get a little bouncing if you use to much wheelspeed but other than that it rocks. Hopefully Egressor takes up my offer for testing his cvds (read his thread). My ramp was decommissioned as it gave me 5 stitches

Anyway here is some pics:

Enjoy
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
www.team3sixrc.com

you really want to test it. build a ramp with a flat piece of board and scatter dusted dirt on it, then not only make it as vert. as possible but make it shelf too. meaning make it lean to the side as far as possible. that will tell you the capabilities of that set up. standing it on its side on two wheels and seeing how much it leans will help too. If its leaning too much to the top side, then you'll need to add lower weight. Just becuase people are setting these up for as least amount of weight possible doesnt mean anything if it wont be as ground forced to it objects as it should.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

very nice crawler.. i like it!
rccrawler66 is offline   Reply With Quote