Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: theslowguys 09 comp rig...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Arrow theslowguys 09 comp rig...

This is the first rig I built. And it started out as an rtr a long time ago. I started crawling in january and have been tuning this truck since. I am just now getting done with it to the point that I am happy with it. The only thing that I am still in need of is a good dig but I am waiting to see if VP comes out with a 6mm output version of their unit.
The truck now...
Chassis- Certain Death comp chassis copy (soory guys!)
axles-stock rtr + rear has option underdrive gear set
esc- sidewinder
tx/rx- Losi 2.4ghz
motor- HH cobalt puller 454 (13t)
servo-Hitec 5980sg robotics servo
batteries- zippy-h 1500mah 3s and 6cell nimh as a receiver pack
tires-f/blue dot rovers wiht custom stiff foams r/white dot rovers with 1/2in. mem over stock rover foam
wheels- Eritex Rockers
Shocks-Jatos with green springs in rear and assisted 2 stage droop in front

Umm yah I think thats it. Feel free to comment positive or negative. questions, whatever you guys have. some of the pics are a little older so they may not have say my lipo in them (gf broke the digi cam:?)
naked(and before the puller and lipo)...
not naked...
Required flex shot...

Rock Extreme Comp. (Madison, Wi.) placed 3rd.
So what ya guys think? Questions? comments? Its all good.
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

nice looking rig man
dragit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks! It took me FOREVER to get this chassis to work the way I wanted it to. I have been testing, tuning, and swearing at this setup for close to 5 months now. Its nice to see it pay off.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Like wow dude that thing is so stout nice looking rig coll set up and design.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

looks sweet. good job
muddog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys. I still do feel guilty about copying the chassis though. I just hope those guys at Canada crawlers understand that I did it out of necessity, not because I wanted to copy their chassis and claim it. CC deserves all the credit they can get, for designing one bad ass chassis and really breaking the mold when it comes to what people are used to seeing.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslowguy View Post
Thanks guys. I still do feel guilty about copying the chassis though. I just hope those guys at Canada crawlers understand that I did it out of necessity, not because I wanted to copy their chassis and claim it. CC deserves all the credit they can get, for designing one bad ass chassis and really breaking the mold when it comes to what people are used to seeing.
Isnt that the same chassis you said you would make me for $50.00
HAHA J/K. It is a badass chassis though & you got yours DIALED
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Very very cool looking setup! I wonder if you cut another motor-side sideplate if you could narrow it up a bit? Anyways, looks sweet. Do you have a link to the canada crawlers chassis? I would like to see what you based yours on.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:33 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

http://www.crawlcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3705

The overall chassis is the same. I just changed some of the link mounting positions, and trans plate mounting holes to my liking.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Default *update*

So I couldnt get the heat issues dealt with in my truck so I was forced to upsize. Found a full size cobalt 7t puller on the forsale forums for a good price (thanks MAMBAMAN!) and ordered it up and WOW what a big honkin motor. So big infact, that the motor end contacts my upper 3-link just so slightly. Got it shoehorned in and am waiting for my next chance to run it. Just running in my living room it seems a little slower than the 454 puller but infinitely more torque. If I run the truck up the wall I can pull the trigger just enough to ge tthe truck to move and when it gets to the wall it rolls right up with no further actuation of the throttle. Right now Im running the 3s zippy lipo w/ 87t spur and 12 t pinion. results shortly.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Ran the truck last night and STILL has a heat issue. I was confident that dropping in the 7t puller would fix the problem but nope. and Ideas?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Default Comp Rig

Go looking rig!
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So I couldnt get the heat issues dealt with in my truck so I was forced to upsize. Found a full size cobalt 7t puller on the forsale forums for a good price (thanks MAMBAMAN!) and ordered it up and WOW what a big honkin motor. So big infact, that the motor end contacts my upper 3-link just so slightly. Got it shoehorned in and am waiting for my next chance to run it. Just running in my living room it seems a little slower than the 454 puller but infinitely more torque. If I run the truck up the wall I can pull the trigger just enough to ge tthe truck to move and when it gets to the wall it rolls right up with no further actuation of the throttle. Right now Im running the 3s zippy lipo w/ 87t spur and 12 t pinion. results shortly.
Quote:
Ran the truck last night and STILL has a heat issue. I was confident that dropping in the 7t puller would fix the problem but nope. and Ideas?
That motor needs a high C rating battery to work well or you'll be killing the life of your lipo's. Where is the heat issue? Motor, ESC, both?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

the motor is whats getting hot. Im running it on a 1500mah 20-30c 3s zippy. And I know 3s is a lot but when I ran it I didnt really throttle jockey it around much or anything.