Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: looking for guidance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default looking for guidance

hello all, i want to start off by saying that i have been doing a lot of reading and research trying to figure out the best way to go with this. i know these questions get asked a lot and i just ask for your patience and suggestions.

basically, i am looking to get an Ax10 based crawler. i have limited experience with RC stuff, so a lot of the terms and acronyms you guys use will be lost to me initially. anyways, i am an experienced 1:1 crawler and a few years ago i had a tlt crawler that i never really got finished.

what i am looking at is building a crawler with around a $500 budget. i would like some input as to what the best overall setup would be for that budget. i think i would like to get a dig setup, or at least leave it open to get it at a later time without having to get a new radio setup. the same thing applies to rear steering. i was thinking this would require a 4 channel setup, but i will let some of you tell me the right way to go. i think i may want to go with lipo's right off the bat but i am completely in the dark about them.

one last thing, i get a lot of enjoyment out of assembling the truck, so if my best option is to piece the thing together from scratch then i am ok with that.

can some one give me some pointers?

this is my 1:1 Crawer
Donahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Go used. You'll save loads of $. Axial parts are cheap and plentiful. You might even be able to pick up an upgraded rig ready to go within your budget.

2.2's do real well with dig, RWS really isn't needed and isn't comp legal (if you plan to go that far).

Lipo's are now pretty cheap and easy. All you have to do is use them correctly and there is very little to fear. Great power and great run times for something that takes up a tiny bit of space.

There are loads of radio options. On a tight budget, the Traxxas TQ3 is a great choice. There are also some good inexpensive 2.4ghz radios available.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 08-23-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Not sure what you want in a crawler but I recommend a SSS. This is what I would buy.

DNA SSS $95
2 packs of large revo ends $17
axles and tranny $270
Futaba 3pm mx $180
Vanquish dig $85
Hitec 645mg $30
Hyperion g3 1100mah 3s lipo $30
$100
$50
Total: 530

From there upgrade as parts brake or as needed

Overdrive gears
HD gears
Futaba S9157
Alloy c's
High steer knuckles
Alloy beadlocks
Maybe lockers
FXR
CCbec
Holmes hobbies hand wound or puller
3s lipo

Trust me it works out very expensive
Kieren

Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 08-23-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Fixed it
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #4

used is good you can save big $
brents88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
RTC $270
Whats the point of getting the RTC when all you're going to use from it is the trans and axles? You could save $170 by just getting those three items and building from there...

edit: just browsed the classifieds...found an ARTR for $150 and a handfull of others (some that are ready to go) for under $500 with some good stuff on them. Donahue: get yourself a star and go shopping!

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 08-23-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Whats the point of getting the RTC when all you're going to use from it is the trans and axles? You could save $170 by just getting those three items and building from there...
Cause you get rims and tyres and stuff. Extra junk is always useful. Used might be your best bet though

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Not sure what you want in a crawler but I recommend a SSS. This is what I would buy.

DNA SSS $95
2 packs of large revo ends $17
RTC $270
Futaba MX $180
Vanquish dig $85
Hitec 645mg $30
Hyperion g3 1100mah 3s lipo $30
Total: $527

From there upgrade as parts brake or as needed

Overdrive gears
HD gears
Futaba S9157
Alloy c's
High steer knuckles
Alloy beadlocks
Maybe lockers
FXR
CCbec
Holmes hobbies hand wound or puller
3s lipo

Trust me it works out very expensive
Kieren
one of the things like want in a crawler is actual springs, just something that is more realistic. i will only be using this for driving around in my back yard or where ever i can find. i am not interested in comps, just something that is not quite as expensive to take out as my 1:1, not to mention that the wife hates riding in the s10 with no doors, and an RC seems a lot safer to her.

i will look into everything that has been suggested so far.
also, i tend to like to build my own junk, i would like to stay away from buying someone else's project.

does this list include a charger or things that may be needed to run the batteries?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Cause you get rims and tyres and stuff. Extra junk is always useful. Used might be your best bet though

Kieren
Those are cheap. Still not worth buying a whole new kit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
one of the things like want in a crawler is actual springs, just something that is more realistic. i will only be using this for driving around in my back yard or where ever i can find. i am not interested in comps, just something that is not quite as expensive to take out as my 1:1, not to mention that the wife hates riding in the s10 with no doors, and an RC seems a lot safer to her.

i will look into everything that has been suggested so far.
also, i tend to like to build my own junk, i would like to stay away from buying someone else's project.

does this list include a charger or things that may be needed to run the batteries?
I wouldn't worry too much about used stuff. Really the only thing I buy new anymore are batteries and esc's. Everything else is relatively safe to buy second-hand.

Even if you don't want someone elses old rig, you can sell off the parts you don't want and buy the ones you do.

Didn't see a charger on the list...depending on what you need the price can vary greatly. Some lipo only chargers can be had really cheap, but don't have any options. Plug it in and go basically. Hobbyking.com has some great prices, but long shipping times.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 08-23-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

so, with that first list, if i go with the RTC, then it comes with a motor, esc, etc. will these be sufficient, or will they work with the batteries suggested? also, will it have drag brake or is that something i will need to upgrade the electronics to get? it sounds like something useful.

Last edited by Donahue; 08-23-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

If it was me I would buy. It can be used if you don't have the budget:

2 Axial Axles
Axial Tranny
VP dig or DNA dig
Set of 4 Axial Beadlocks
Wheelweight
Pick the chassis you like the most.
Losi 4" Crawler Shocks
Depending on chassis, pick your links
Losi Comp Claws
JR8711 Servo/225mg mini servo for dig
Sidewinder/BEC/either 35t or 45t motor
Holmes Hobbies 11.1v 1300mah 25c lipos
Servo extension so you can disconnect the red wire on it instead of the esc for the BEC
If you don't have a radio then either a DX3R or MX3 2.4ghz.

It may cost more now but it is going to cost you less than in the future if you use a cheaper servo,tires,shocks now because you will end up upgrading anyways. Then you will have bought both.

Last edited by rc4x4crawler; 08-24-2009 at 10:44 AM.
rc4x4crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4x4crawler View Post
If it was me I would buy. It can be used if you don't have the budget:

2 Axial Axles
Axial Tranny
VP dig or DNA dig
Set of 4 Axial Beadlocks
Wheelweight
Pick the chassis you like the most.
Losi 4" Crawler Shocks
Depending on chassis, pick your links
Losi Comp Claws
JR8711 Servo/225mg mini servo for dig
Sidewinder/BEC/either 35t or 45t motor
Holmes Hobbies 11.1v 1300mah 25c lipos
Servo extension so you can disconnect the red wire on it instead of the esc for the BEC
If you don't have a radio then either a DX3R or MX3 2.4ghz.

It may cost more now but it is going to cost you less than in the future if you use a cheaper servo,tires,shocks now because you will end up upgrading anyways. Then you will have bought both.

AND YOU ARE WAY OVER $500. I don't think ya can put together parts for much under $750 (closer to $1000). Sure ya will have more that in it after upgrading everything but that wasn't the question. To me if ya are going to spend that kind of money build a berg. A rtc with a good batt/charger will run $350+ with no upgrades. Add some alum links/knuckles, tires, springs & servo and you are over $500. A dig + radio (dx7/3pm/ko5) adds at least $300. This stuff just ain't cheap but for bashing in the backyard a rtr/rtc ani't a bad way to go. Now if ya really want to build something ......
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i think what i am going to do is just save the dig for later. i will probably get a RTC or similar and just get good batteries. it will be less than the $500 budget now, but i'm sure it will get me back into it. a lot of the aftermarket stuff like chassis and links, i will probably try and fabricate myself just for the fun of it later.

now if only they made an S10 body...
Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

alright, i think i am looking for too much with my budget.

i will probably shift gears and look at getting a regular kit (i dont think i like the plastic links that come with the RTC kit), and just getting the electronics separate. there are a few things that i have been reading about, and i have a few more questions. i think i may want dig at a later time, and so i may want to get a 3 channel radio now, and possibly a bec, having just learned what those are.

does $300 sound reasonable for a basic motor, esc, radio, steering servo, batteries, and charger that will work with future upgrades?

i am not really interested in upgrading the chassis or things like that at this time, just mostly the things i think i cannot make at home like electronics.

Last edited by Donahue; 08-25-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #14

If your looking for a good base I'd start with the artr, its a good base wich requires electronics. DO NOT go with the rtc, the esc has no drag brake and has a delay for forward ( sucks on decents or controlled falls is more like it) Definately go with a bec and a decent esc, IMO you dont need the best for all 'round fun and the same with the servo, yeah 423 oz/in is nice but not necessary. Batteries, I'd go with a 3 cell lipo, you can get them at pretty reasonable costs and a basic charger isn't to bad either. As far as radios, I'm still a little in the dark with them myself but I say if you want dig and 4ws go for it, a good 4 channel would work or modding a TQ3 just for a 4ws setup can be done, theres articles on here about that Hope this helps.
nothinbutv8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:49 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Here is my basic recommendations for electronics. I wouldn't go less and it is $317.80 plus shipping/tax and other goodies.

Castle Creations Sidewinder 72.95
http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...CSESDW&click=3

Integy Matrix Pro Lathe Motor 45T 17.95
http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...CM4501&click=3

Hobbico cs-150 servo 39.95
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRT1

Turnigy 420 Balancer/Charger 2S~4S 23.95
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7898&Product_Name=Turnigy_420_Balancer/Charger_2S~4S

HobbyCity 1450 3S1P 25-35C Lipoly Pack w/ Conn 22.10
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...y_Pack_w/_Conn

KO PPOPO EX-5UR 2.4 radio 140.90
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-rad...s-p-29465.html

Old 08-26-2009, 02:32 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
alright, i think i am looking for too much with my budget.

i will probably shift gears and look at getting a regular kit (i dont think i like the plastic links that come with the RTC kit), and just getting the electronics separate. there are a few things that i have been reading about, and i have a few more questions. i think i may want dig at a later time, and so i may want to get a 3 channel radio now, and possibly a bec, having just learned what those are.

does $300 sound reasonable for a basic motor, esc, radio, steering servo, batteries, and charger that will work with future upgrades?

i am not really interested in upgrading the chassis or things like that at this time, just mostly the things i think i cannot make at home like electronics.
The RTC out of the box is setup better then the kit better tires nicer shocks lower stance.. plastic links yeah they are there you can make links pretty freaking easy They seem to hold up from what I have seen.. the electronics while not great will let you go play till you can upgrade..

most these guys are giving you wish lists for a comp truck.. you can go play in the backyard and have fun with the RTC or the RTR(not recommending the RTR it needs allot of work)..

lipos are great but not the cheapest route.. you can get a RC18 or mini T pack and cheapo charger for around 40 bucks heck for backyard action a stick pack will get you running..

hell you can get the losi MRC for 200ish range and it has a crappy wall charger and battery with it..

with a $500 budget
I would get the
RTC $269
a AC/DC charger like this one from holmes http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...5&cat=7&page=1 $129
and holmes has some clearance 2S 3700 mah batterys for $25 http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...2&cat=6&page=1 should be able to run a couple hours on one of them

that should have you running with a good charger and under 500 shipped..

if you have the skills to make things your self you just need to get your hands on the truck. dont get sucked into the bling and bolt on crap..

Last edited by sloppy; 08-26-2009 at 02:35 AM.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:38 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

i want to put it together myself, so the artr kit is probably out. its cheaper anyways to get the put together kit.

as with getting all the pieces from different vendors, shipping charges will probably negate possible discounts.

i like the charger and batteries mentioned, and took the rest of the items and put them in a shopping cart all together, or at least similar items. it looks like the batteries and charger will be $54 to my door, and the rest would be $476.

the list includes,
MMB-Sidewinder Esc with Drag Brake
Integy Matrix Pro Lathe Motor 45T Single
"CKRC Special" MG995 High Speed and Torque servo
Futaba/Ckrc Aluminum Servo Arm 1"
Airtronics MX-3 2.4GHz FHSS 3-ch Transmitter & Receiver
Ax90001 Axial AX-10 Scorpion Crawler Kit

now, is there anything in this list that i will be disappointed with?

also, years ago i had a 55t motor in my tlt crawler, is there a reason to go with 45t over 55t?

and last, i have a question about the batteries. basically, i would like something that i cannot destroy out of stupidity or laziness. i want something that i can just plug in to charge and leave it that way overnight or longer without damaging the battery, or something that i cannot damage buy running too long. will what you suggested work? or would i be better of with like a nmhd?

i figure i can always add a bec later when i add a second servo, but would there be anything else needed?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i want to put it together myself, so the artr kit is probably out. its cheaper anyways to get the put together kit.

as with getting all the pieces from different vendors, shipping charges will probably negate possible discounts.

i like the charger and batteries mentioned, and took the rest of the items and put them in a shopping cart all together, or at least similar items. it looks like the batteries and charger will be $54 to my door, and the rest would be $476.

the list includes,
MMB-Sidewinder Esc with Drag Brake
Integy Matrix Pro Lathe Motor 45T Single
"CKRC Special" MG995 High Speed and Torque servo
I'm not a fan of these things but some folks have good luck with them. They are all over ebay cheap.
http://toys.shop.ebay.com/Radio-Cont...&_sop=15&_sc=1

Futaba/Ckrc Aluminum Servo Arm 1"
I have broke a couple of these
Airtronics MX-3 2.4GHz FHSS 3-ch Transmitter & Receiver
Don't think it has a 3 position 3rd channel switch for dig:?
Ax90001 Axial AX-10 Scorpion Crawler Kit

now, is there anything in this list that i will be disappointed with?

also, years ago i had a 55t motor in my tlt crawler, is there a reason to go with 45t over 55t?
Wheelspeed

and last, i have a question about the batteries. basically, i would like something that i cannot destroy out of stupidity or laziness.
Good luck with that
i want something that i can just plug in to charge and leave it that way overnight or longer without damaging the battery,
Most chargers have a auto cutoff but not a good idea to leave them hooked up forever:-(
or something that i cannot damage buy running too long.
The sidewinder (& most good escs) has a lipo cutoff setting. As long as ya stop running when it cuts in, no problem
will what you suggested work?
I've no experience with the charger but have heard good stories
or would i be better of with like a nmhd?
NEVER

i figure i can always add a bec later when i add a second servo, but would there be anything else needed?
You will find out as ya break stuff and/or want better performance. Drive it and have fun.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
Suck it up!

If you're going to stick with the MG995, I'd get two so you have a backup. I'd also get them from ebay...you'll get two or more for the same price you'd pay for one from CKRC.

If you can, get the BEC now, it makes a huge difference and will help you avoid some potential issues.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #20

For batteries I'd go with a 7-cell ni-mh split pack, no hazards like a lipo but still gives you decent power and run time
nothinbutv8s is offline   Reply With Quote