Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Slash type slipper mod!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Arrow Slash type slipper mod!

So I dont know if Im the only one but I seem to keep chewing up my spur gears and those crappy spurs they sell at the hobby shops just dont cut it. They are too flimsy and too soft. I finally finished off my last spur today at a GTG and was desperate to get my truck up and running again. Then the light bulb went off. What parts do ALL hobby shops carry. Traxxas. Started looking at the slash type slipper and it looked to mount similar to the stock axial slipper. Bought the stuff and vuala! It all fit perfectly. Only one thing needed to be modded. The hole in the input shaft that holds the slipper plate needs to be drilled out to the size of the stock traxxas pin. It was a 5/64 bit if my memory serves me right. Ran the truck today wit NO problems at all. everything clears and the slipper holds fantasticly. Ill hopefully have pics up by tomorrow.
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Got the pics and everything is pretty self explanitory. The slash spur gear is holding up extremely well as I had figured it would. If a slipper will hold with a truck like the slash hitting the ground at full speed with a castle brushless system on 3s then it should hold up good in a crawler.

The slipper assembly ready for the truck

The stock axial slipper pin

The stock traxxas pin after the shaft was drilled and the pin inserted.

Another pic of the tranny input with the traxxas pin inserted.

All clear on the back side.

All clear up front. Its that easy. What ya guys think!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Cool deal if you want to run a slipper
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Traxxas slipper and spur gear is the worst design I have ever used.

Good luck.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post

Good luck.
You've obviously never used the savage dual pad slipper setup...
ANd that;s coming from a savage guy who has never bought anything traxxas.
Spiftacu1ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

this setup actually works really well, and yes I do wanna run a slipper because I just put in the outrunner in the pic and its a little bit of a learning curve to figure out what the capabilites of the motor are. The whole reason I wanted to do this is because all of the spur gears any of the hobby shops have (at least around here) are those kimbroh ones. They are flimsy, soft, and the second there is ANY torque put on them the teeth fold right over.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Hey slowguy. thats a great idea... way to use the noggin. i think traxxas is only good for their plastic parts. not to use on their own rc's but on other ones. is there any way that you remember the traxxas part# for that slipper? i dont personally have an ax10,but my brother does and i will pass down the helpful info
Sicario666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #8

Im running a traxxas spur gear on my ax10, its been holding up really well. I think it might be a stampede or rustler gear, not the revo spec like the one your running. How hard was it to drill a hole through that shaft?
Azngtboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Good idea. Running the AX at races sponsored by Traxxas puts a damper on getting replacement parts for it. Often I have to rig up a Traxxas part if I break something. But I never thought of a slipper.

How tight did you tighten the spring?
ihcj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post

Good luck.
The Revo spec slipper (as pictured above) is night and day better than the old design with the damn slipper pegs!!!

Cool mod slowguy
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Sicario666- Im sorry I dont remember. I just went up and asked for the parts I needed to assemble the slash slipper. There was one bag with the back plate and pin and slipper ring and another bag with the slipper pads and pad holder, then I bought an 86t spur and the bearing that fit it. (same as stock traxxas bearing) If you look on the site they have the parts legends with the part numbers labeled.

Azngtboi88- It drilled right through, no problems!

ihcj9- One of the bags came with the spring and nut. I just slid it on and tightened it down. It all fit on perfect.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslowguy View Post

Azngtboi88- It drilled right through, no problems!
Sweet! Do you happen to know the size of the bit? I might have to do this once my spurs chewed up. thanks!
Azngtboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

It was a 5/64 drill bit.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Suck it up!

lol...I hated the spur on my Slash so much I modded an Axial slipper/spur to fit.

btw: I have never, ever, ever tore up a Kimbrough. I've ground rocks through them without incident. For three years the same Kimbrough spur has been in my sons B4. I also run one in my Slash and both my super and 2.2 crawlers. On my 2.2 its the only thing that hasn't gone bye-bye in the drivetrain.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Lol. Exact opposites. Are you getting the shiny black ones? Those are the only ones anyone carries and thats what I always tear up. The teeth dont shear off, the gear deflects and the teeth all fold over. Even if Id set my mesh a little tighter. I always set my mesh a wee tighter than what you get with the old paper trick.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

this is much better and 22 dollars cheaper than the axial slipper thanks got mine for 8 dollars
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TRAXXAS-SLAS...l_Parts_Access
dunerdude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Nice link. Yup thats exactly what I put in my truck in this thread.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslowguy View Post
Lol. Exact opposites. Are you getting the shiny black ones? Those are the only ones anyone carries and thats what I always tear up. The teeth dont shear off, the gear deflects and the teeth all fold over. Even if Id set my mesh a little tighter. I always set my mesh a wee tighter than what you get with the old paper trick.
Yup, the shiny black ones. I had a white 90t in my 2.2 for a while, though I'm not entirely sure it was a Kimbrough...might have been a Robinson.

If you're really having that much trouble with the spurs, swap over to 32p. Much harder to destroy.

My main gripe with the Slash spurs is that they are too easy to deform under load. If I can squish them with my bare handed kung-foo grip action, they aren't stong enough to take the punishment my truck will bring them.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 09-03-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I have also been using the Kimbrough gears. I have yet to kill one, as long as my mesh is good. I have rounded off most other gears in the 48 pitch size. 84t instead of 87t because it hits the MIP driveshaft.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Well I have had no issuse thus far but I am gonna go out tonight and put the truck through its paces and find out what the limits of this is. Ill post up later with my findings.