Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Help Me Choose a DIG?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Help Me Choose a DIG?

I'm torn guys, mostly cause I've never run one and have no clue how hard or easy this is going to be.

first off, let me throw some base info out....I've got a mildly modified AX-10, still using stock 55T motor from the RTC model, but all of the links are upgraded to the STRC bent links (for now) shocks are stock, running a mamba max w/castleBEC, it's already got a 4WS setup, running a DX6i.

I'll be extending links rather than chopping shafts to accommodate this, so, that's also a very important thing to keep in mind, as cutting off MIP CVD Driveshafts isn't going to happen.

I'm looking around and contemplating which dig to go for, I know that RC4WD makes a transmission with a dig, or a dual dig, I know that VF makes a bolt on dig, and that TCS also has their own bolt on dig. from the looks of them all that I've seen (the three above) I'd like to stick to either the VF or one of the RC4WD units because they look considerably cleaner, and I also presume that they'll have less wear because less is exposed.

Can you guys throw me some opinions/experiences with those units? what I'm looking at and so on?

I know the VF unit is going to be cheaper, the skid and transmission I already have will work, and the instructions that're posted for the unit are so simple I think even my friends that don't know anything about mechanics could install it but, I'm torn because I've had to replace a few spurs cause a tiny rock will get into the spur gear and the pinion will chew the spur before I get a chance to clear the rock, and the enclosed setup on the R2 transmissions would be quite nice for that.

So, how about it?

VF DNA DIG

RC4WD R2 Enclosed DIG Transmission

RC4WD R2 Dual DIG Transmission

which do you guys think I should pony the money for?

Also, I'll be setting whichever one up so that it's cutting/locking the rear, which, I know is a reversal of the way the R2 Enclosed is usually installed, and if I go to the dual, I'll probably have the "front" one on a 2 position switch in which it's only either engaged in drive or freewheeling, I don't really grasp the point in locking the front axle out...
dhyde79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #2

Vanquish hurtz shifter dig

http://www.vanquishproducts.com/vp-d...xial-ax10.html

................ but if you really want I can sell you my dna which I just replaced with this bad boy...lol

Plus you cant beat their customer service!

TDCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCrawler View Post
Vanquish hurtz shifter dig

http://www.vanquishproducts.com/vp-d...xial-ax10.html
................ but if you really want I can sell you my dna which I just replaced with this bad boy...lol

Plus you cant beat their customer service!

whose customer service?

and what can you tell me about that vanquish dig? got any pics of it installed? how much extra length am I looking at and where will I need to make it fit?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyde79 View Post
whose customer service?
Vanquish products

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyde79 View Post
and what can you tell me about that vanquish dig? got any pics of it installed? how much extra length am I looking at and where will I need to make it fit?

There is a youtube link within the link i just sent which explaines their dig pretty well.
TDCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

vid shows functionality nicely and demonstrates why you'd want a dig....but, what worries me is clearance issues with the fact that it's laying the rear servo out over the driveshaft....that looks like a stock shaft and the MIP shafts have a HUGE "bell" on them....
Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

vanquish x2 can use a standard servo and works flawless.
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

The bell isn't that huge. The stock servo mount can be slightly modified to fit most driveshafts. You might want to check out the Vanquish dig thread in the vendor's section for more info about the product. Out of your three choices, the DNA is probably the better one.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ok, so it seems that everyone says the vanquish....if I go that route....how long's that dig, I'm trying to figure out how long of custom links I'm gonna hafta make so I don't end up trying to cut the shaft...cause I really don't like the idea of screwing up $50 driveshafts :(
Old 09-04-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Normally, the short MIP shaft from Thundertech would be used with a dig. Plan on making your links about an inch longer or so to start. This is about as close as I can get to the size. This is the measurement from the face of the dig to the back of the case. The output sticks out around 3/8" further.

Last edited by gunnar; 09-04-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

A. where do I find that short shaft?
B. how much is it
C. is it as strong as the "MIP" brand ones that're über-heavy-duty
D. is it honestly worth the money that it looks like I'll be sinking into the crawler to add a dig on top of 4WS?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #11
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Please forgive these answers if they sound terse, they do not mean rudeness on my part:
A. Search
B. You'll find out
C. Yes
D. You should buy a dig if you are going to compete. Since 4WS is not allowed(unless you are building a super) pick one or the other, dig and compete, or 4WS and play around. If you want to the spend money, get the dig if you want to.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Please forgive these answers if they sound terse, they do not mean rudeness on my part:
A. Search
B. You'll find out
C. Yes
D. You should buy a dig if you are going to compete. Since 4WS is not allowed(unless you are building a super) pick one or the other, dig and compete, or 4WS and play around. If you want to the spend money, get the dig if you want to.
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #13
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

What I should say is: There are probably 2 to 4 vendors on this site that sell the short shaft. You could look them up and find out the price. I did my part by:
1. Reading your post.
2. Going out of my way to get out my rig, measure the dig case, take a picture, put it in my photobucket account, and post it for you.
3. Offering some advice.

Then of course Kris laughs. Just trying to help, hope you weren't offended.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

, sorry I could not help myself!....take the advice, He Knows What He's talking about
Quote:
What I should say is: There are probably 2 to 4 vendors on this site that sell the short shaft. You could look them up and find out the price. I did my part by:
1. Reading your post.
2. Going out of my way to get out my rig, measure the dig case, take a picture, put it in my photobucket account, and post it for you.
3. Offering some advice.

Then of course Kris laughs. Just trying to help, hope you weren't offended.

Last edited by khwilliams; 09-04-2009 at 01:04 AM.
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #15
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

He's laughing some more now, not at you of course, but at me.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

nah, not offended, was just hoping you knew off the top of your head lol....

22.50's not too bad....but, that's just for the short drive bone side.....which, kinda hurts, but, if it saves me from breaking length rules too...so I can swap in a solid rear axle to be comp legal, that might be worth it....

Last edited by dhyde79; 09-04-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #17
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Try TCS, RCP, RPP, CKRC. They are all shops specializing in crawler parts who advertise on the board.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I just grabbed thundertech's website lol I've run through most of those sites today and am a bit bummed since most of them seem out of most everything for the AX10...that I was after....but, it's all good....
Old 09-04-2009, 01:22 AM   #19
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Yea, sucks doesn't it, when the part you want is out of stock? I was working at the Hobbytown today, looking in the display case and seeing the short Thundertech dig shaft, and wondering "who will buy that part today?" No one did, it's still there.

Last edited by gunnar; 09-04-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #20
Like a boss...

Quote:
Yea, sucks doesn't it, when the part you want is out of stock? I was working at the Hobbytown today, looking in the display case and seeing the short Thundertech dig shaft, and wondering "who will buy that part today?" No one did, it's still there.
And the best part is the guy laughing is the one who needed it! :-P

Sorry Kris...couldn't help myself.
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote