Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: High Steer Steering Knuckles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default High Steer Steering Knuckles

Anyone know how much these knuckles move the drag link up from where it would normally sit with stock knuckles?
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Vanquish-...k-p-17350.html

Thanks...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I just put a pair in my rig. If you look at the pic you can see the arms are almost flush with the king pins...... so you'll gain about 3/8-1/2" and a slue of other issues, not that they are insurmountable but they don't work with a stock steering set up. the easy way out is to flip the servo horn and bolt them up as normal. I did not like the look of the geometry like that so pm me if you would like some pics of what i did.
rugerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have the zero akerman (sp?) angle ones and they raised my steering up about 1/2". But I had to make a steering link that is 120mm long instead of the stock 106mm.
93yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I just put the high steering (not zero-ackermann) on mine and I am using the stock 106 arm but I replaced the throw arm as I moved the servo over for the battery.

I am going to do BTA but didn't have time to finish mods before I run my first comp in the morning.

Last edited by AZrcdriver; 09-12-2009 at 10:26 PM.
AZrcdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

So, it will raise the drag-link and the servo link 10-12.5cm? If so, this is exactly what I am looking for.

I installed a 2075 servo and Kimbrough servo saver on my X-Trail and my steering got all goofy, turned about 30deg in one direction and about 15 in the other. I made an extension for it, but it looks just a bit ghetto, I think these guys are the answer to my problem. Thanks for in info.

My scaler with modified servo saver:

I cut an Axial servo arm up to make this. It works really well, I have full steering in both directions now, but I would like something that looks better...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The reason ya weren't getting full steering with the saver is it is too short for the servo throw/linkage. High steer knuckles won't help that. Ya can try moving the linkage to the closer hole on the knuckle or use a servo stretcher to increase the servo throw.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm not running the Vanquish knuckles, but the ones I have sit about the same height and all... I forget the brand I have.

I've changed servos & linkage since these pics, but you can see how the hi-steer knuckles bring up the drag link. I found that by using straight rod ends (not the angled stock Axial ones) that the tie rod sits up & back even more-- without hitting the axle housing.

here's the best photo I have handy of the latest setup

Last edited by Jeep-Power; 09-13-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Jeep-Power is offline   Reply With Quote