Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Black Metal Crawler! (build thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Black Metal Aluminatti (build thread)

Alright. Not doing anything revolutionary here, but this is going to be my build thread. Its a build it as I go thing, I dont quite have all the stuff, but Im starting on it now, which means the thread is starting here. Gonna make a quick list of whats in it so far and whats to come. I hope to have this thing comp-ready by the time I get back to El Paso Texas (Currently deployed to Iraq. Go Army!)

Axial AX-10 ARTR
Novak Goat+brushless (2S version)
Futaba 3PM receiver
STRC Red Shock Bodies + stock internals (droop setup for now)
STRC High Steering knuckles
VP Shifter Dig
2x Hitec HS-5645 servos (wont stay in it, but they are all i have one hand)
Axial CVD's
Delrin lower links
DMG Alluminatti chassis
STRC Skid plate
2x TCS 4 link plates
VP DH Pro-Comp's
Pro-Line Hammers (temp tire)

And I got a bunch of stuff thats on its way, or needs to be ordered still. I know I need to upgrade my steering servo and change to a BTA steering (I dont like that stuff up front, it gets in the way), and I want to switch over to a micro servo for the Dig. Also need to either change to a different shock setup. Not sure if I like a droop setup or not yet. I will post a few pics as soon as Im done tearing my ARTR apart.

Last edited by KROGOTH; 10-08-2009 at 01:02 PM.
KROGOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

The Chassis itself (DMG Aluminatti)

The ARTR (before i stripped it down)

It begins! (the VP dig isnt in the pictures. Not sure if Im going to install it yet or not.)
Old 10-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Ok, Im at a loss already. I may not be putting the Dig in right now, but....Im trying to figure out how the transmission and motor fit in with the dig on. The stock positioning has the area where the dig would be facing forward. When you swap it around, so that you can have the dig on the rear driveshaft, your motor will drive the drivetrain in reverse.

Normally, Im guessing you would just reverse your motor leads and that would reverse the motor rotation. I however have a Novak Goat. You can reverse brushless like that, not that I know of and Im not willing to try it either. heh.

So is there something Im not getting here, or a way around this other than switching to brushless?

[EDIT] Nvm, reversing the throttle on my 3PM reverse the rotation. Problem solved.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
RCC Addict

LOL... I was going to say just reverse the throttle on the radio,But you got it.Another way is theres a setting on the esc where you can reverse the rotation too. But not sure how to do it on your setup.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Im reading up on my Goat instruction sheet, somewhere on here is indeed, a reverse motor rotation option. Im just super slow sometimes.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

To rev motor rotation press and hold set button until AMBER & GREEN status LEDs turn on solid--- release SET button once LEDs are solid.

amber & green status LEDs flash to indicate motor rotation direction. Quick press & release Set button to change settings. 1 flash=norm.
2 flashes=rev.

Press & hold SET button to store selection. (status LEDs scroll back and forth & esc exits programing. Watch that Esc temp also, i had to get a fan for mine, good luck Thank you for your service Nice DMG

Last edited by cornsnake; 10-08-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: DMG
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Well, the bit of running ive done with it in the ARTR, it never seemed to heat up, neither did the motor. When I had my Traxxas Bandit, I got turned off to electric because that motor/ESC ran so hot, and the motor burnt out after like maybe 10-15 runs. So I have been extremely happy with how this combo has been running. Very cool, very powerful (from my experience) and no problems at all.

Thanks for the input, I will try and do that tomorrow. Seems a much cleaner solution than to simply reverse the radio's signal.

The DmG chassis rocks. Awesome guy, awesome product.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Well if my camera's memory card would co-operate, I would have a few more pictures. Got it to where its nearly a roller. Wont roll until I get the proper spacers for my front Pro-Comps. Also, definitely going to need shorter shocks, I think. The stockers (with aluminum bodies) keep the axles pushed too far down, limiting the flex. I may try laying the shocks back and see what that does for my flex, though nothing will be for sure until I get it moving under its own power, at least so I think.

Gonna have to look at other builds around here and see what my options are for BTA steering as well.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

hmm this build looks sorta familiar for some reason hahaha your gonna love the DMG Alluminatti chassis it loooks cool and preforms just as good! iv been rocking mine for a4 or 5 months now, and love it.. only "problem" i have found with it, is that if you go on to the roof there is no hope of recovery.... but on the other hand it made me a better driver knowing that
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:54 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Hey ultimate_monkey, I tried looking through your posts, Im curious to see how you have your links setup and what shocks youre running. And these things are totally badass. Are you running Axial axles?
Old 10-10-2009, 03:29 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Alrighty, I layed the front shocks back, allowing the front to flex a bit. This leaves me happy with the flex for now. Will have to wait until its complete to see if Im happy with how it works though. Snapped a few pictures of how it sits now.

Im waiting for more servo tape and a deans connector to solder onto my ESC. Hopefully I wont mess that up, Im not very handy with a soldering iron lol. Once thts done I should be ready to put the electronics in, and then I will just be waiting for the spacers from VP.

Once I have it in working form, it will be a matter of ordering stuff to improve it, starting with BTA steering, a stronger steering servo, a new remote with a 3 position 3rd channel for the DIG, and Im not sure what after that.

Im curious, is it still helpful to have the underdrive gears in the rear if you have a dig?

Last edited by KROGOTH; 10-10-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

for my front i have 98mm upper and lower links and in the rear im running the 101mm bent lowers and 98mm uppers, both front and rear are 4 linked, useing a home made UHMA (non FDA approved cutting board) skid plate. for the shock im useing the stock axial shocks set up with 70w oil and droop. in the rear i removed the internal bump stop and put 2 clicky pen springs inside, and in the front i have left the internal bump stop in and have one pen spriig inside and one out side. i get about 3/4" more then a coke can worth of flex.

and yes my rig is axial based
Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Anyone have any experience with the HPI Rock Grabber tires?

Im thinking about using these tires if they are any good. Time for me to do some forum crawling methinks...
Old 10-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Alrighty. Just ordered 2 LiPo's, and finally got myself a hyperion charger. HPI tires, new servos, and BTA steering will have to wait until next month. lol. Kinda excited to try the LiPo's out though....
Old 10-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well, right now, I dont have a camera to take pictures with, but I got the spacers and such today, so now my crawler is good to go. Time to start crawling and work on tuning the suspension.

Eventually, I need to figure out how to fit the dig+servo into this chassis. I know theres a conflict with the skidplate, a rear lower link takes up space where the dig would sit, so I will need some spacers to raise the tranny just a tad, and then gotta fit the servo in. Probably going to have to find a way to mount it in front of the tranny.

Its either do all that and use the VP dig, or try to fab up a driveshaft dig, with the servo on the back plate...and if I do that, going to have to re-locate my receiver which is sitting on a plate on the rear upper links. (A plate made of a cut up CD, no less. Hey, if its stupid and works, its not stupid!).

Im thinking about going to a dirt pile close by tonight to play with it some, but I know its already dark outside now.... Meh.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Hy KROGOTH

looks good, glad 2 see U getting everything together
yes with the skinny skid plate U will have to put a 3/16" spacer in-between the skid & trans when using a dig unit.

all-so, try mounting the shifter servo on the bottom side of the ESC plate i installed, try that, if U have enough room to do so.

looks great so-far !! good work

the DmG
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

See, now I had considered mounting the servo there, but Im not up for modding servo mounts there.

Im glad you gave me the needed size for those spacers! lol, thanks a ton for that.

Its all put together for now. Im having some issues with the front wheels/steering. Just seems like somethings wrong, but I think its cause Im steering too far for the CVDs. Unsure though.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

what sort of issues are you haveing with the steering?
Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Alright, digging up my old build thread now that Im back home. Got a couple new additions and just getting it ready for competition out here.

I got some 1600 2s lipo's, gotta make a plate to put on the front upper links to mount that, need to take my front axle apart to swap the c-hubs, I think they are on wrong, and need to find a way to make my long steering arm just a hair longer. I have alot of unnecesary toe-in in the front. Then all thats left is to mount the receiver somewhere handy, zip tie the servo wires and Im ready to start practicing and tuning the shocks.

My wish list for this baby is long though. Currently, I need to either mod my 3pm or buy a new radio that has a 3 position 3rd channel so I can install my VP dig. Theres plenty of room for it, as I found out the other day. Also, I want to get the HPI Rock Grabber tires.

Also, need to measure the wheel base to be sure its legal. Other than that, I read all the rules and Im good otherwise.

Pics later tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Welcome home! Let's see some updated pics!
d34thw1sh is offline   Reply With Quote