Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: slipper clutch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #1

Default slipper clutch

im new to the rc rock crawlin and i bought the rtc scorpion and the slipper clutch isnt engaging like its supposed to my drive gears keep grinding, ive tried adjusting the spring tension but that isnt working. any advice?
KMass713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #2

Tighten the nut/spring all the way down. Drive it and upgrade anything that breaks.

Yes, I'm serious. No I'm not trying to be an asshole.
flexcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexcj5 View Post
Tighten the nut/spring all the way down. Drive it and upgrade anything that breaks.

Yes, I'm serious. No I'm not trying to be an asshole.
X2...but I would suggest you splurge on the hardened steel outdrive gear as well. I have a slipper clutch on mine and it's tightened down as far as it will go, with the upgraded outdrive gear..works like a champ
Shinobid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #4

ok thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #5

any online shops you would recommend?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #6

Check the vendor's section on here.

I'm still running stock tranny gears (2 years) though so my advice is wheel it until it breaks.
flexcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i like the slipper... tighten it down and a 1/4 to 1/2 turn out to tune. never had a grinding issue... have you checked your pinion /spur settings ?
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
i like the slipper... tighten it down and a 1/4 to 1/2 turn out to tune. never had a grinding issue... have you checked your pinion /spur settings ?
You have no reason to "like" the slipper clutch on a rock crawler..it will be the reason you will have to rescue your truck by hand when you get the tires bound up on the rocks...the fact of the matter is, that slipper clutch was intended for the "Racer" portion of the RTC Rock Racer...If you are only Crawling Rocks, then you have to tighten that slipper clutch all the way down, period. I know this from experience, cause my slipper clutch wasn't allowing me over a certian spot on the rocks, then when I tightened it all the way down, it crawled the same spot fine, some tire binding, but it handled it fine...had to hand recue that spot with the loosened slipper....Main Point, tighten the slipper down, or rebuild your tranny to allow for elimination of the slipper clutch altogether...
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

i like mine to just barely slip on a full batt. at any given throttle
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexcj5 View Post
Check the vendor's section on here.

I'm still running stock tranny gears (2 years) though so my advice is wheel it until it breaks.
meant to say that I agree with this guy, leave the stock outdrive gear until it breaks. I don't know how much it can actually handle cause I didn't break mine. I just bought the hardened steel one because I had a gift card to my LHS and that was one of the things I picked up with it. It's pretty spendy, so it's a part you probably could wait to change out depending on your crawler budget.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #11

ya i fixed the issue i just moved the motor closer so the gears meshed better. thank you guys.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobid View Post
You have no reason to "like" the slipper clutch on a rock crawler..it will be the reason you will have to rescue your truck by hand when you get the tires bound up on the rocks...the fact of the matter is, that slipper clutch was intended for the "Racer" portion of the RTC Rock Racer...If you are only Crawling Rocks, then you have to tighten that slipper clutch all the way down, period. I know this from experience, cause my slipper clutch wasn't allowing me over a certian spot on the rocks, then when I tightened it all the way down, it crawled the same spot fine, some tire binding, but it handled it fine...had to hand recue that spot with the loosened slipper....Main Point, tighten the slipper down, or rebuild your tranny to allow for elimination of the slipper clutch altogether...
learn how to tune you slipper and you would not have had any trouble the only time mine slips is when i am in a bind that will not let my tires turn...drive it till it breaks??? hows that work at a comp with no hobby store for 100 miles ? maybe with your " experience " you may not have had any issues like this, i tend to drive 7 plus hours to comps. we all run our rigs a little different so i am not saying anyones right or wrong...
its all a matter of choice... what works for me may not work for you

Last edited by DeweyCJ5; 10-22-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
learn how to tune you slipper and you would not have had any trouble the only time mine slips is when i am in a bind that will not let my tires turn...drive it till it breaks??? hows that work at a comp with no hobby store for 100 miles ? maybe with your " experience " you may not have had any issues like this, i tend to drive 7 plus hours to comps. we all run our rigs a little different so i am not saying anyones right or wrong...
its all a matter of choice... what works for me may not work for you
OK, here's the reason why this dudes post was funny....He drives 7 freaking hours to go ROCK CRAWLING!!!!!! Good lord man...we are not all the hardcore crawlers that you are...My advice was intended for the not so freaking competitive dudes on here...I apologize if I offended anyone...now If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna take my rock crawler to the END OF THE FREAKING STREET TO GO ROCK CRAWLING!!!!!!...Oopps, was I yelling there ? My bad...:flipoff :
Old 10-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

and...I stand by my advice to eliminate the slipper altogether....it's worthless...tune yer tone...
Old 10-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

lol good to see that your experence is showing....now back to topic