Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: help with first ax10 upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #1

Default help with first ax10 upgrades

Need some help, My son has An AX10 scorpion rock racer. he has been driving the heck out of it and wants to start working on upgrades.
I need some help figuring out the best upgrades to start with.. He wants the Boulder body kit. Is this a good choice?
after the body kit where should i start? I told him about $200 to start with and we will go from there.

Thanks,
G.W.
spyderbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Have you put weight in your tires. The perforance will be much of better when you put. My first update was tires. I did not drive with rock lizards more than one time . Which axial ax10 your son have? Is it rtr kit or artr? With artr comes pretty good tires. So if you have artr you do not have to change tire right away.
_micro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #3

It is the rtr. It has the Rock Lizzards.
Something i noticed first off was that steering links and the lower links are crap. What would be the best stock length links to replace them with? I saw some that had the rod ends built in and some without.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #4

If you have the rtr I would get rid of all the plastic links first. Get the hardware pack and new links and it will help with clearance, ridgedity, and steering throw. Tires as well would be first to get replaced. Then go for the motor, get a higher turn and it will crawl a whole lot better. I use a Integy 55t lathe motor. All that right there is probably around $100. It should be a pretty competent crawler after those mods. These are what I got for the links and you have options for colors too. Get rid of the servo saver as well. Get an aluminum horn, helps with turning as well.
http://www.rcplanet.com/Scorpion_Col...p/axia1409.htm
http://www.rcplanet.com/RTR_Hardware...p/axia1411.htm
http://www.rcplanet.com/Integy_Matri...intscm5501.htm

Last edited by DJCrawlin; 10-21-2009 at 02:38 PM.
DJCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #5

the aluminum links are a great start, i just did them on my RTR and it helped alot. also go here http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html i did most of the mods from this aswell and it was a very inexpensive upgrade.
geichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

links a tires tires tires then a 645 hitec servo at the lest an an a 45 or 55 trun motor an u will be crawling good
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

You could answer that question a million different ways. You can go pretty far on $200. I would recommend looking in the for sale section here on RCCrawler for items. You can find some realy good deals.

Upgrade the tires, and weight the rims. Buy an aluminum link kit. Get the rear axle lock outs. Upgrade your servo to one with at least around 130 oz-in at first. Ditch the servo saver. You want to get the center of gravity lower. Theres a lot more, but you gotta start somewhere.
NOMERCY!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I agree with NOMERCY!! Also where is your battery located, Might possibly look into Knuckle packs to help get the weight down on the front axle. Or maybe even a inexpensice 2 cell lipo pack. Theres so many ways to upgrade. Thats the cool thing about this forum. I have been into crawling for a couple years now and I still ask questions and I read ALOT on here!!

Tom #93
dirttrackdemon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
dnf

Default 22 to go

you can do alot on 200,but wich to do first.I've gone down this road twice, the first time I was learning I bought my son a rtc for his b-day,I knew it wasnt worth the money but it was cool in the box the smile on his face was what I spent 250 for. trust me get the tekin combo a bec and a 300+oz servo the tekin is easy to program the motor is good enough and you dont want to go CHEAP on your servo. also later when u can afford it,alum collars and knuckles a must you dont need cvd's right now or alum rear lockouts but you definatley will want a better radio 2.4 3 channel and a used chassis with links.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #10

Thanks for all the replies.
I ordered the link kit and hardware, also ordered the boulder chassis kit yesterday. Today i will be ordering a 55t motor and battery packs to lower the CG.
I'm sure there will be many more questions to come.

Thanks
G.W.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Go with the 35 turn motor or at least a 45. The 35 has plenty of torque and wheel speed. The 55 is just to slow IMO.
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote