Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Why so much "beefing" around!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Why so much "beefing" around!!!

I have to say that I am kind of confused about this.

All I ever see is how can I "beef" up my links or how can I "beef" up my axles. I don't get it...I've been running a stock artr chassis, axles, tranny, links, etc...with upgrades like rooster...645mg servo, hr dig, aluminum wheels with rover tires, weights, lipo, etc....and I haven't had any problems. And my rig has taken some hits and lots of drops from about 6-10 feet. Only broke a steering hub because I ground one down to add steering clearance and ground it down too much i guess. i've killed 3 servos from wedging rocks. but never needed to "beef" anything up.

Do people really just go overkill or is it needed? What are your guys/gals thoughts?

Thanks.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I broke the first knuckle last week after almost two years of bashing. Never really saw the need for alum ones. Maybe now I'll get some high clearance ones.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

once you get a servo that has more than 350oz of torque, a 3 or 4 cell lipo and like a 35t motor, youll start to understand why we want the BEEF
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It depends on how far you push your rig to the max. If you like to throttle out of binds then you want the BEEF.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #5

Hey, the3kid I'll agree with you.

Had the SWX Axial about 20 months and in that time I've been to countless competitions, bashed with it and all the practice out on rocks inbetween!
Despite all the warnings from other crawlers to upgrade this and that before it breaks, I though I'd wait until it did break.

One cracked knuckle is all I've had break so far, from the kit. But two burnt servos though !

Finesse not force
blitzer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

for those of us who comp.. we want/need the "beef."

while those stalk parts work just fine for some, the more experienced driver has either broke them or watched someone break them. the last thing a driver wants is to have to take a repair during a comp... and that repair might not be able to get fixed if the driver doesnt have parts.

that being said... my next upgrade with be the 300 cvd's for my berg. i broke one during a comp. i had spares but it costed my a few points that could have been a few positions at the end of the day
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

BEEF IT UP
Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
once you get a servo that has more than 350oz of torque, a 3 or 4 cell lipo and like a 35t motor, youll start to understand why we want the BEEF
X2

about a year ago i asking the same question, and w/ in 1 weekend i installed an HH 35t and a jr8711.
in one fell swoop i bent a lower link, twisted my drive shafts a complete 360 degrees, snaped a c huband bent both of my knuckles
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #9

I've bent many alum. links / busted many stock outdrive shafts. If you beef it up from the get go, problems on the courses will be minimal. Set your rig up the way you want, don't worry about what other people do.
gernade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

was watching a buddy cross gate 10 and head the the finish line when this happened. it was the last course of the day and he managed to limp across the finish line but as u can see. he was done.
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

but lil dinky servos, stock motors and ESC dont get you anywhere near the same power and force of a bonafied comp rig.

you get rid of a HT645 and replace it with something like a JR9100T to your setup you'll see what we mean.

but if youre runnin a HT645, 55turn, and a RTR esc, there is no need for the beef.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I ran a 645mg on stock plastic knuckles and c's for months with no problems. The day I ran a JR8711 servo, I snapped two plastic knuckles. Yes it broke parts, but having the truck turn when and where you wanted it to was worth it. SO I upgraded to beefy RCP aluminum knuckles and c's.

All of you guys with the broken axles cases : That's why I run berg axles

Last edited by helhedded; 11-03-2009 at 12:35 PM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

the3kid

if you are competing/bashing and happy with the results. Don't change anything just drive and enjoy. When or if you do break something there is plenty of info on beefing up your rig.

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

if u start upgradeing anything on a truck like a stocker u will find a week part . u just have to not go to big with any mod u do an upgrade it as u can an deal with the week part to u can upgrade it. an it will deff. kelp u drive your truck smarter than u do when it all beefed up cause u no there is a week part in there
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

guys with built trucks tend to drive a harder line than a guy who is stock. we sometime think we can get a better line or make a lil time by doing so. sometimes it works some times it dont but we have the rig to try an with a stock truck u would never make it. hope this helped u out
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have 3 ax10 rigs. Played around in the yard for a year & never broke a part. Met up with some guys to see what comps were like & parts started breaking. I was trying harder lines & the truck was taking harder falls. We have truck killer comps around here. It's a 10 or 20 ft drop off if you don't make the gate. The last comp a berg fell into a crack in the rock about 20 ft down. They broke his chassis to get it out.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

When you add 3s power, lots of weight, stupid servos (mine is 423 in/oz), a motor with goobs of power and you start competing on crazy terrain ... you will break something.

I've built up my rig considerably but just toasted the tranny gears last trip out.

Slipper would have saved me but it would also have cost me a billion reverses in the last year. The "instant power regardless" motto has gotten me out of enough binds that I think it's worth a few parts here and there.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #18

I bought the kit I have used. All it has for a servo is a 645. One day crawling aroung my yard, I attempted a step out back and broke one of my knuckles. No big deal cause I had replacements and was at home and not out somewhere, but when I saw what little bit of force made it break there, I decided to go aluminum. So even with small servos, things can break. Just replace em like I did. When something breaks, replace it as you go along cause many different things will break at differents times. Your setup isn't anything like the next guys so if he replaces something, doesn't mean you will have to.
mkinnett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the info guys...Yes you have helped me understand the "beef". I guess when something breaks, beef it up...if not keep truckin' and havin' fun.

Broken axles.....ouch!!!! lol
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Beef is better than veggies.....

Wife twisted stock drivelines...now she had "beefy" MIP drive lines...can't wait till she breaks something else!!!!
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote