Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Easy and cheap Axial MOA conversion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Easy and cheap Axial MOA conversion.

This might get moved..if it does mods just delete it because this build is already in the bully section. I just wanted to have a link to it because there have been a few questions about converting over and this was my answer and uses a lot of my old ax-10 stuff.

The build is here: 2009 Axial Bully

This is the easiest and best bang for your buck way to get into the MOA world. The stock chassis works very well with the bullies. All you need to make is a new skid and links. Even then I'm pretty sure that the stock lower links with the stock link positions might even get you at 12.5 without any mods. My crawler is in my car, if it wasn't I'd make the measurements to confirm.

I'd love to see if the SWX sets up well. I'd also be interested how close the hellstrom chassis that alot of bully guys are running compares to the stock ax-10 plates as far as mounting holes go.

Why I went this way:
  • Almost everyone will have old chassis plates kicking around. I had given mine away so picked up some new ones for $5.

• Almost everyone has losi shocks or similar length shocks and they set up great on this chassis. They maintain belly height because the bully shock mounts are about an inch higher on the axle than the ax-10 mounts.

• Bullies are heavy....again almost everyone will have an old set of stock plastic beadlocks. If you drill out your aluminum hexes and run the plastic wheels you can keep your bully build at a respectable weight. You don't need to buy new wheels with a different offset.

• Cheap! You buy the axles and you are done, punk dig, extra cheap brushed motor and you're done for electronics. No upgrades needed in the axles these things are stout. No lockouts, no highsteer knuckles. I guess you could buy the steering kit if you can't fab one up yourself but that's it. Oh and make links...but you might even be able to use your stock ones. You can run all the same electronics unlike the losi (which is what I was considering...money pit). Just buy one more motor and punk dig. You'll come out miles ahead in the cost department from a berg or losi. I did a ton of reading before I went this way. Too many people on the berg bandwagon and losi is just...expensive for something you get little runtime out of and have to keep telling yourself it's that way because it's special.

• No down time. Most of you should be able to have a roller set up before you even take anything off of your current comp rig. Then you switch the electronics over in a day when you're ready and done.

Last edited by miller; 11-07-2009 at 10:46 AM.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

so you have a bully w/ a RTR axial chassis then.

LOL. a SWX wil REALLY wake it up
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote