Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: axial transmission keeps breaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #1

Default axial transmission keeps breaking

i have a axial ax10 i have broke the transmission output shaft 3 times i am buying the all steal out put shaft from rpp but im trying to find out what might be causing it. i have bent links aluminum knuckles pro line hammer tires aluminum drivelines and that about it i am also running the novak rooster with the novak 55 t motor with 14t pinion gear if you might know what is causing this please let me know thanks
rccrawler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Too much torque for those output shafts? I don't run your rig but it seems with aluminum parts elsewhere and stock plastic breaking...that's your weak link(?).

I'm sure your rig was under stress when those output shafts failed?
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The outputs on the ax-10 are not very great. One reason I see, they drill the back side of the out put. all the way to where I snap them. sharp internal corners like a drill point from the back side, will always create a stress point. It is the reason airplanes have rounded window corners rather than sharp ones.

Also the reason we supply steel outputs with our dig system. First run of testing I snapped it right off the bat.

Jim
Vp Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
TSK
Shelf queen

although I'm not into slipper clutches, it sound's like you could use one.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #5

Default crappy tranny

thanks for the help has anyone used the steel tranny gears and out put shafts
rccrawler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I have the rpp steel gear/output combo it works good
slc4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have the VP trans housing, HR gears, a HR spur, and for now the hardened outputs from RPP. Ill be installing the VP dig soon. The Axial units are really weak, but the units from RPP are much stronger, you should also think about putting your money towards a dig anyway. The Axial units arent plastic by the way, just a cheap metal that cant even be welded on.
scottb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

It's my guess that the stock Axial outputs are deliberately made that way, drilled inside to make a very thin area, so they will break first, before any more expensive parts let go. Engineers call it a 'structural fuse'. However, the plastic driveshafts are even weaker, and will usually fail first. After upgrading the driveshafts, the outputs become the next weak link. Upgrade them and see what is next!

When the going gets tough a lot of torque in the driveshafts builds up between the axles due to traction, not always from the motor and tranny, so although a slipper may help, it won't completely eliminate driveline overloads and failures.

If it breaks, upgrade it!

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrawler77 View Post
thanks for the help has anyone used the steel tranny gears and out put shafts

Yes I do. I have the output shaft that DNA had and Robinson racing gears

works great.

If you are running a dig the Vanquish Dig and there shafts that it comes with works great.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have an ax10, stock trans, stock drive shafts, and a slipper clutch. i run a novak 55t motor and have recently upgraded to a novak goat system. i have yet to break any drive train components. in my opinion a slipper (while sometimes annoying) is the best protection device. it recomends in the instructions to fully tighten the spring and loosen 2 turns, i loosen mine 1 and find that it will still slip but only when it really binds.
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

If you plan on getting a dig at some point then just get a VP dig and your will be good to go. It comes with steel outputs. If not then Robinson Racing makes a one piece hardened steel outdrive gear that is bullet proof.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote