Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Calvin's *SLOW* Axial Overhaul

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Smile Calvin's *SLOW* Axial Overhaul

Yep its time to overhaul the Axial

here's what I have planned in mind:

4-link suspension all around (ok enough with this 3-link trash... way to pesky for me I tried 4-link a while ago and wow... amazing stuff )

Toss, melt, turn into some stupid "radio antenna" thingie... IDK what with those Intergy links... man those things are such a pain... and they came with the car so don't tell me not to buy them... :-P These will be replaced by a combination of Axial and custom home links (got to LOVE the lathe when its working )

Change the Novak 55T motor for a faster sealed-can Johnson (trying to bribe my dad into pulling his motor from his electric converted rush and swapping with my 27T motor.... hehe sorry pops I paid for it) Should help increase my wheel speed, just pray it wont' smoke my Team Associated XPS ESC (the max it can handle is a 2S and the 55T on a 2S is just to slow.... got to gear up way to much and I loose precious torque!)

Get a good low-cost servo (hobby city servos seemed to do the trick in the truggy.... why not get a better one now for the Axial ) and an aluminum horn... enough with plastic ones stripping

Find someone with 1 extra Axial shock that they are willing to part with... yep I had a full set lying around and then lucky me... I can't find it (prob got thrown out by accident )

Make up one of those driveshaft DIG units (i have an idea for a dual dig.... sure it will be only engaged and disengaged but.. its a thought... enough with no dig crawling)

BTA... its a thought, I love the Axial high steer knuckles but at $35 a set... throw in another $20 and you got the whole BTA... now we aren't so budget minded Still trying to work out a BTA with the stock knuckles and its giving me grey hair

Rear axle lockout tubes. Enough with those giant knuckle dealies to get caught up on the rocks... its time to graduate me to the 21st century and fork over a wad of $ for some new goodies on the rig

Chassis... thinking of either a custom torsion (HA I dream big) or a semi-droop rig, well see how it crawls after I get it back together in the first place :?) and a custom skid that doesn't stick to the rocks like super glue (ahem the stock "thing"... I am better off almost covering it with non skid material it sticks to the rocks so good :-P)

So far I have:
Flipped the rear shocks upside down and still need to change a rod end
Bent the stock straight links to 30*... wow that and the "curved" ball ends should make this car's links less likely to rub the rocks in theory
Re-installed the rear end but until I get my metal rod from MSC I can't do anything regarding 4-link and all that fun custom stuff
With college classes starting up Monday and next Monday my knee surgery I am going to be a bit slow in updating the thread... do feel free to comment on anything I have posted... so far the BTA is the biggest problem child for me....

Pics to go with the babble:

(the box is 5" tall! I was almost maxing the articulation out.... so I added a bump stop since i said that was enough )
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links