Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: G-Rob's Axial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default G-Rob's Axial

After converting my TLT "comp" rig into a scaler, I was left without anything to compete with. I don't have a local club, so no local comps nor gtg's, but there are a couple guys around that also run 2.2's, so it's nice to have something to run with them. Last year, the 3 of us made it to the Indoor Midwest 2.2 Challenge, and that was alot of fun, so I'm basically just looking to continue going to a few comps and HAVE FUN.

I still had a few parts left from my original rig, that I couldn't use on the scaler (wheels, tires, shocks, and I had a motor, well, and a body...)

I searched the For Sale forum, and came up empty handed... but I did get a reply when I posted in the Wanted Ads. Time went by, and I ended up working out a deal with rock hard, and ended up with this:

I think I got a pretty good deal, I'm pleased at least. It was all dirty and dusty, and I wanted to expore inside the axles and whatnot, so I tore it apart. I got everything cleaned up and began putting it back together to my specs...

I began with the rear axle, tore it all apart, cleaned er up, put it back together, and ended up with this:

The seller included a ton of extra parts, and I found this rear plate among them...

Kept assembling, here's the rear axle with links and shocks:

I then moved onto the front...

I'm going to reuse the battery plate that was on it, It will work awesome with the batteries I've got... here's the axle with links, shocks, and the plate:

While I had it apart, I cleaned up the chassis too...

I cleaned up the tranny, and installed my old motor. It's an Integy motor, and it follows my desired color scheme perfectly. Here it is back in the chassis:

I've still got alot of building to do, and some things to figure out, but it's coming back to life

I'm going to be working on it more tonight, and again tomorrow, so expect another update about this time tomorrow
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

holy huge D-shaft!
chris w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
20K Club

You guys will have to watch the KCRC schedule and make it over to one of our events. We usually have 15-20 guys at all the comps.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I've never ran Revo shafts before, these DWARF the pede shafts by a TON

Harley: Who knows, this might be the year I make a trip down that way...
Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #5

where are you in kansas grob
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'm in McPherson Ks... half hour from Hutchinson, hour from Wichita, and depending on who's driving, I'm about 45 min. from Salina

I'm runnin on like 4 hours of sleep... stayed up till 2AM building last night, had to get up for work at 6AM... yea, totally worth it though...

I got the axles mounted. I'm loving the looks of the triangulated lowers and straight uppers... seems to work alright as well.

I worked on the steering for what seemed like an eternity, but finally got it working alright. I then mounted up the wheels & tires and hit the sack

After work today, I mounted up my body...

I'm about done!

All I have left to order is a servo mount for the dig (I'm wanting to run a Full Size servo, so I'm after a New Style plate), then I'll need a dig servo. I still need to figure out my ESC. I have one, but it's crummy, and I'm thinking about ordering one... possibly a BR-XL from JRH . I want batteries too, but that's all minor things that can be upgraded later...

I'll update again once I get it going... whenever that may be...
Old 01-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

That'll never work!!! Lookin' good, Greg! Now that it's warming up a little, we need to hit Coronado soon and knock the cobwebs off my crawling skills. Get busy and finish that thing!

Oh yeah, I think Shawn has a full size servo mount that won't fit in his chassis. Hit him up!
KSCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCrawler View Post
That'll never work!!! Lookin' good, Greg! Now that it's warming up a little, we need to hit Coronado soon and knock the cobwebs off my crawling skills. Get busy and finish that thing!

Oh yeah, I think Shawn has a full size servo mount that won't fit in his chassis. Hit him up!
Shooting Shawn a PM ASAP... good idea, I forgot he had one...

I agree, I wanna get this thing done, so I can get at least somewhat familiar with it before Disney...
Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

SMALL update, but an update none the less...

I have all my electronics figured out except the ESC. I'm going with either the Mamba Max, or a Sidewinder. I wish I could find either one of these used, but If I can't, I'll just buy a new Sidewinder....

I made a plate for my ESC to mount as well... I used an old DVD case, and cut it to size. 4 zip ties later, and voila! perfect place for an ESC! I also thought it was cool that I could tuck the motor wires under the tranny and run em back towards the ESC. Gives it a super clean look.

I'm attempting to keep as much weight as possible forward, which will probably take some getting used to... all of my other rigs have had a decent front to rear balance

I'm still figuring out where I'm going to mount my dig servo... I want to use a full size servo since I've got a spare, and am unsure of where/how to mount it... I've seen some pretty neat ideas, but nothing I'm real stoked on. I have a plate coming in the mail that I might use (if it fits), otherwise, I'll try my hand at fabbing something up...

Here's my ESC plate:

I'm just waiting on an ESC, and to mount my dig servo, and I'll be runnin!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I was up VERY late (or early...) last night (or this morning) working on my rig...

I got a few things figured out that had been bugging me. I finally found a place to mount the dig servo... right to the side of the chassis! I mounted the RX as well, and CA'd the antenna tube to the top of the case... it's now black of course (thanks to heatshrink). These are the batteries I'll be running untill I can afford LiPo's... nothin fancy but they plain work.

I've got a Mamba Max with a CC BEC coming to me... which will finish this truck and get me on the rocks!

Here's Pics:

Old 02-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Got a Mamba Max, and CC BEC (thanks Rock Hard), as well as a new horn for my dig servo (thanks Billy)

It's still not 100% complete... I'm waiting on a collar for my dig... talk about a dime holdin up a dollar...

BUT, here's pics:

While I was patiently waiting for parts (yeah right...), I made up a new set of steering links. A friend of mine hooked me up with some Carbon Fiber tube used for making arrows. Well, add a bit of threaded rod and some ends, carbon fiber steering links! I imagine they'll be HORRIBLE on the rocks... too bad I thought of that after... I'll probably end up switching back to my original aluminum links...

Body on... just cus...

Can ya tell I like Pibb?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
Can ya tell I like Pibb?
Ummm, no.

Rig is lookin' good, Greg. No go out and beat the piss out of that CF so I'll know whether or not to make some for my rig!

Don't forget, tickets on sale in less than 10 minutes...
Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I got the parts I need to finish my dig... and got my linkage made and installed... pics uploading as I type...

Programming the radio to run the dig is another story... it's kickin my ass! Gonna take ALOT of Pibb...

Been doin a bit of thinkin: (I haven't searched yet, but since I'm posting, I might as well ask... plus, look how many people have replied to this...) Would I like underdrive gears in the rear, overdrive gears in the front, or BOTH better? TIME TO SEARCH!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Serious shafts!!!
d34thw1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Disconnect your linkage from the servo horn to set the end points, hold the linkage where it needs to be and adjust EPA to that point, that'll just leave a little fine tuning and makes it super easy.

On gears UD rear is the best setup, I've had both.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Linkage/Radio/Endpoints all set

This rig is SMOOTH, and quiet! Compared to my old R2, the Axial is silent

I've been searching, and the underdrive rear looks like what I'll be doing... someday
Old 02-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
RCC Addict

LOOOOOOONG overdue update, but here goes

I "thought" I had my dig all sorted out and working correctly, but where I had the servo mounted (to the side of the chassis) wasn't good. There was WAY too much flex in the chassis plates when I shifted, and it kinda scared me because of the Carbon Fiber... So... I moved things around. Again. I used the "new" servo mount for the DNA dig... and messed with chassis braces and whatnot to get everything to fit, and I'm pleased with what I came out with.

In the process, I broke ALL of the ears off my dig servo... and I think I fried it...

I also threw an orange spring in the rear, and am liking the way it helps with torque twist... so it'll probably stay

I moved my RX as well... I simply zip-tied a piece of DVD case to the rear links, works awesome, and wiring will be a breeze. Plus, it'll be easy to get to when something stops working...

You'll probably notice the trick little velcro straps as well (on the battery, and on the RX). I threw em in on my order from JRH

I also switched back to my aluminum steering links. I noticed that I made the carbon fiber tie rod a bit too short, and it just didn't look right with an aluminum tie rod and carbon fiber drag link... Plus, I already know the CF won't take the abuse that the aluminum will...

I got my order from RPP in today! I needed a servo, and picked up a set of Rovers as well. You really can't beat a set of *NICE* tires for less than 20 bucks...

I now have more work to do... I'll be working on it tonight, though beer and bonfires might lure me away, so I'll update sometime tomorrow
Old 02-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
... beer and bonfires...
Where?!?!? Oh wait, I'm assuming old people aren't invited. Drink one for me!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Billy: I'd MUCH rather hang with old people as opposed to drunk rednecks...

I got the rovers installed!
I messed with the foams a bit. I've got part memory foam/part super stiff foams in the front. And part stock rover foam/part memory foam in the rear... theoretically, it makes sense and should work alright...

I love the way my rig looks now

I have my wiring completely done, and the dig servo mounted. I need to setup my dig now (again). I've gotta mess with endpoints and whatnot, and I'll probably have to make a different link... but that's a whole nother update!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The rovers look tough on there. I really like the way they have performed for me, but just picked up a used set of sedonas for comparison. Hopefully they'll make up for my lack of driving skill. I think what it boils down to is that, based on how well your rig is looking, I'm starting to get nervous about you kicking my ass on the rocks at the MWC!

Can't wait for some decent weather so we can get some wheel time in before the comp!