Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Vanquish dig--My set up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Vanquish dig--My set up

Ok, I ran the losi for awhile and now I am back using the ax 10 based rig with Poulson axles. I upgraded to the Vanquish dig and had a problem right away, but I think I fixed it with a simple well known product.
The dig would not engage the rear cog because it had to much pressure on the face of the cog . The rear wheels were locked, but only because of the pressure applied to the locking cogs . I put in a servo saver and the spring pressure of the servo saver helped the dig to line up the cogs and "pop" into place. It now pops into forward and reverse and helps me to be sure the cogs are in the right place. Just my thoughts
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I've seen that on my buddies rig. Works great. Did you find a tiny servo saver, or did you have a lot of extra room for a regular big one? What chassis are you running?

When I set up the vp digs in my rigs, I set endpoints 3-4 clicks back from full contact. That way they are in full contact, but not putting extreme pressure on dogs.
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #3

why didnt you just turn down the end points on you transmiter.
shafty4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafty4life View Post
why didnt you just turn down the end points on you transmiter.

becuz if he adjusted the EPa it would do just that change the epa, not the amount of pressure the servo was pushing the gears togeather with.

btw, which brentwood are you from?
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
btw, which brentwood are you from?
This Brentwood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brentwood,_California

I have run 2 different VP digs, and have had zero problems getting them to, or keeping them engaged, without a servo saver, and using micro servos. Not saying it wouldn't help, but maybe not needed.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

hmmm deff not the brentwood in my area then. we need more crawlers here
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I turned my EPA back a few clicks to I wasn't trying to push "past" the engagement point, thus putting less pressure on it. Seems to work great.
jays0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
TSK
Shelf queen

I'm thinking using any servo with more torque than necessary will lock it up without actually engagind due to too much plate pressure. A micro servo like gunnar uses, probably has enough torque to get the dig engaged and such, but not enough torque to actually lock it up from too much plate pressure. The servo saver was a great idea being that it's spring loaded nature will reduce the intial plate pressure and allow full engagement of the dig cogs. Adjusting end points does just that, adjust the end points (travel limits) of the servo. So reducing them would ultimately prevent full cog engagement, increase chance of slipping out of engagement, which in turn would cause wear, and ulimately further dig failure.

In my opinion, no dig should have to require a standard size servo or even a high torque servo to function properly. If the dig unit is built properly, at the very least a mini servo should work fine. Both the DNA I used to use, and the Eritex i use now, worked fine with the Hitec 225. in fact, I carried over the 225 on the DNA over to my Eritex with no problems. And Gunnar's a case in point, using micro servos which are even smaller.

Last edited by TSK; 02-15-2010 at 03:23 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote