Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Torque Twist, Here we go again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Torque Twist, Here we go again

So let me see if I can give a breakdown of what I have been going through lately. I was working with a terribly stiff truck that performed poorly but had no TT. After reading a ton of other threads, I softened the shocks and got no advantage. I then went full circle and moved the lower links in, took out the firm internal springs in my shocks and added 50 wt oil all the way around. Now I have a truck that will twist off a coke bottle top, but the TT was so bad I could not climb a marble without throwing up the right front and flipping. Well I firmed up the left rear, mirrored my tranny, and 4 linked the rear end. Now my truck is much better but maybe not quite as good as far as articulation at the rear axle. I am still getting a slight hint of TT though. Here is my point. I am starting to think that a little TT is part of life with the RC crawlers, and as long as the truck performs fine then it is something to live with. Does this sound about right?
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I am starting to think that a little TT is part of life with the RC crawlers, and as long as the truck performs fine then it is something to live with. Does this sound about right?
You can tune alot of TT out of a shafty though.
I put these in the rear axle and it helped reduce TT quite a bit. Read the description, kinda explains the setup benefits.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax30402.htm
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
You can tune alot of TT out of a shafty though.
I put these in the rear axle and it helped reduce TT quite a bit. Read the description, kinda explains the setup benefits.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax30402.htm
That will definately help! ^^^^^

So you 4 linked the rear, but did you raise the left upper link on the axle end or drop it on the chassis end? This will do alot for TT.

And a little bit of TT is always going to be there...just part of the fun of owning a shafty.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Default What was that about the left side?

I read your post and you lost me a bit. Regarding the chassis or the axle ends can you post a pic as to what you are talking about? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Quote:
I read your post and you lost me a bit. Regarding the chassis or the axle ends can you post a pic as to what you are talking about? Thanks.
Here's a pic of my Sportsman rig waaaaay back when I slapped it together. Notice that the upper left link is on top of the plate while the one on the right is below it...

You'll notice I've got a little bit more preload on the left shock...but not a lot. I'm running the same springs all the way around, with all the same shock oil (30wt I think...). This thing would float like a cloud over the rocks. Very little TT too.

All the rigs I build have the links set up this way (more or less) and it makes a huge difference. Along with raising that end, you can lower the other end on the chassis also.

If you haven't, read the big monster thread on TT and link setup. It took me a while to absorb all the info there, but its a must-read.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Default Thanks.

That helps a ton. I will do that tomorrow. I think the TT in my setup is totally much less than it had been.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
That helps a ton. I will do that tomorrow. I think the TT in my setup is totally much less than it had been.
How much articulation do you have? Too much is a bad thing....a good rule of thumb is a pop can. If you can plant a tire on top of one right before the tire on the opposite corner lifts, your in the neighborhood.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

great info i having tt problems as well going to do the moods myself...
RockGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Here's a pic of my Sportsman rig waaaaay back
Way back and on Rovers? Pffffff.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Way back for me and my ADD builds. Those axles have been on 5 different chassis's since then. Maybe 6 or 7 even.

Back on topic...you guys should check this thread full of info. Scroll down to the anti-squat and TT links and read up!

http://206.180.232.134/forum/showthread.php?t=4521
Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post

Ditto....
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Ditto....
What if I were to say that those were super secret pre-production prototypes that I got 9 months before they were released to the public and couldn't tell anyone about untill now, upon penalty of severe flogging?