Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: I think I have finally made a choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Is this a good choice

Well I have been all ove rthis site for the last 2 weeks for for more hours then I can count and I think I will be making my purchase tomorrow of this I have thought about the Axial RTC. I want to spend around 400-450 and just wondering if this would be a good place to start I dont think I would have enough to do the ARTR kit with the extras

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1929

This will be my first crawler I have been in RC for 15 years and have knowledge but I also like to tinker so I want to build some of the parts for this truck when they break so I hope I am making a good choice and pics will be up when it gets here

Last edited by smokediver; 03-01-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default ...

I'd get the green kit which usually sells for $179 so you get the good links, lockers, gears etc and then get:

Spektrum DX3E radio gear $99
Tekin FXR/35t combo $115
Turnigy 1000mAh Lipos from hobbycity.com $20 for 3
front electronics/servo plate $15
Hot bodies rover tires $25 for set of 4 (TCScrawlers)

all up: $453

worst case if its a bit much, just leave the lipos and elec plate and get these later. If you get the RTC kit you will end up spending more on upgrades and also need to upgrade the radio gear if you ever get a DIG unit. And the Tekin stuff is heaps better for crawling than the RTC electronics.

Alex
axeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The RTC is a good start, but the electronics are poor at best...if they even work at all out of the box (seen it, done it) axeten has the right idea, and with the list he has you will be much further ahead.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I was thinking this also

Item NameQty.Total

1842 Novak Rooster Crawler/55T Motor Combo

$107.99

"CKRC Special" MG995 High Speed and Torque servo

$17.99

Venom VR3T 3-Channel FM Radio & Receiver

$36.99

Ax90004 AX10 Scorpion ARTR (almost-ready-to-run)

$209.99
Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

A 55T motor won't give you very much wheel speed, I would go 35T or 45T, either will still crawl good but still give you enough punch to get up and over stuff if you need to.

The radio is the one thing the most people spend more money on than they planed. I would look into a 2.4ghz set up, This will eliminate any interferance from other radios, or anything else you get on am or fm bands. You need to have a lot of control with a crawler and nothing will kill a good line faster than a bunch of glitches
Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks I have chosen a new radio and I am having a hard time finding an AX10 kit...Building is 70% of the fun
Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
Building is 70% of the fun
Me and two of my friends all started with RTC's, we have all tore down and rebuilt our crawlers about three different times. Trust me, you will have lots of stuff you want to do, nothing wrong with a prebuilt rig.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have always had kits just because they come with better parts from the start so hopefully I wont have to tear down as often
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Suck it up!

I started with the ARTR...kinda wish I didn't. All that is left is the trans case and the axles. Everything else has been replaced with something better.

Don't be afraid to go used, especially if you are on a budget. You'll get waaaaay more bang for your buck. Check the for sale section here...there are deals all the time on comp rigs.

I would steer clear of the "wiggle" servo. Sure its got a cute name, but there is a reason it wiggles...

A Hitec 645 or 5645 is a good servo to start with and is reasonably priced.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hrc35645s.htm

RPP has Rovers on sale (buy one pair get the second free!)for $18.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hbs67772.htm

For an ESC I love my Sidewinder (and my Mamba!). Now that the software has been updated, its got a banging dragbrake. Plus you can run brushless with it too.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/csesdw.htm

Integy puts their sticker on a pretty decent motor. Cheap too!
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/intscm3501.htm

RPP has got insanely fast shipping. I usually get my stuff way out here in BFE Arkansas in 2-3 business days!
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

thanks I try to watch the ads here for used trucks I just need to watch more often the good ones go FAST
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Suck it up!

Quote:
thanks I try to watch the ads here for used trucks I just need to watch more often the good ones go FAST
Even if you peice one together you'll be ahead in the long run. You're gonna buy all the parts eventually anyway...and parts are easier to grab than whole rigs.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

do you know and links or a list of the parts I will need I know the mains like links tranny the usuallys but I have looked for a list of all the parts so I can check them off as I get them
Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Quote:
do you know and links or a list of the parts I will need I know the mains like links tranny the usuallys but I have looked for a list of all the parts so I can check them off as I get them
I don't personally have a list...but it shouldn't be too hard.

When you get the trans, get hardened outputs if it doesn't already have it.

When you get axles, get aluminum C's and knuckles for the front. Make sure the rear axle is already straight and not identicle to the front.

Pick a chassis!

You'll want a 4 link plate for the rear axle, and a battery/servo plate for the front.

For the suspension links you can pick and choose, or build your own. I prefer delrin...its a bit bendy and really really slick.

For shocks...Traxxas Big Bores or Losi are both good choices.

Get a BEC when you shop for your electronics. Castle makes one that is programable, and uses the same adapter as their esc's.

Otherwise, pick a topic, punch it into the search button, and get to reading. You'll go far with a bit of knowledge.