Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Steering CVD Problem. Help! *video*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Steering CVD Problem. Help! *video*

Ok, So I installed Axial aluminum knuckles and c-hubs recently. Shortly after a few weeks later I noticed the steering pulsating like you see in the video. Last night I reinstalled the stock plastic parts and still the same problem. I never changed the steering endpoints when I went to the aluminum. I still also have the stock dogbones and axle stubs.
I've tried everything short of limiting the turning endpoints because I should not have to because it was working this way before.

Any advice?

the02stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Try to loose your hexs.
WK-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Hoof Hearted?

You are now being limited by your drive cups. If you watch closely, you can see the pulsing happens when the slot in the cup passes the tightest point. You can grind the end of the cups a little to help. Once you get the tires back on, it may not turn that far anyway. Your tires willl probably hit the links or shocks.
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Does it look like I need to upgrade to the Axial comp CVDs? Would those fix the problem?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
0 0

i can now say i would never recommend axial cvd's to another person. ive broken the pins in mine every other comp night. and the problem will still be there. just a little bit more steering before it does it.

if you want smooth and strong get the super 300 cvd's. or possible the felsonfest cvd's, i have no experience withe the felsonfest but Ive read they are great cvd's
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Default ..

Try the gunar pins if you break yours all the time. My axials have been good so far. I cant believe the price of the super 300's. There just a bit thicker.... yes they are bullet proof but they could price them at like $60 (double the axials) not $150. Theres no way it cost them more than $20 to make a set.......

As for the pulsing. Its definately those cups. i had the same problem which went away when i put the axial CVD's in.
axeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeten View Post
Try the gunar pins if you break yours all the time. My axials have been good so far. I cant believe the price of the super 300's. There just a bit thicker.... yes they are bullet proof but they could price them at like $60 (double the axials) not $150. Theres no way it cost them more than $20 to make a set.......

As for the pulsing. Its definately those cups. i had the same problem which went away when i put the axial CVD's in.

i was basically making my own gunnar pins. still shattering those. there is alot more stress on the pins when you max out the cvd's steering capacity. if you axials aren't notchy then your steering isn't turning far enough.

another thread. same problem, with axial cvds.

axial bta kit help VIDEO

the 300's turn a hair further than the axials but are much much smoother at full lock. and are STRONG
Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default ....

My EPAs are set to stop just as the knuckles touch the axle housing so i couldnt get more steering if i wanted to. I havent had a problem yet. If they start to break i'll have a crack at making my own, otherwise i guess i'll have to fork out for the 300's.
I do know that once you buy 300's you never have to worry about them again. Just have some other stuff to buy still before i spend that much on axles.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Other than the obvious strength. Is everyone sure that you get any more steering out of them over the axial cvd? Are they not the same design, just on steroids?
Also I agree on the possible overprice. When you think about how your only getting a couple of steel rods. $150.00 is a lot of money for 6 inches of steel.
I could maybe justify $99.00. But $150.00 is a bit much.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Overpriced? Don't forget they come with a zero slop locker also. Since October I've bought one complete set of Axial CVD's, a set of replacement cups, a rebuild kit and a set of shafts, two four packs of MIP CVD's, a pack of cups, two rebuild kits and 3 sets of shafts, also busted stock dogbones and an untold number of pins. 300's are a bargin, they're gonna save me cash. $20 for that much 300m cro-moly, LOL, not to even mention the locker, bearings and machine time.

Anyways, yes I'm positive they steer farther and much smoother, plus take a ton of slop out of the front end.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default ...

Oh, i didnt realise they came with bearings and the locker. They are not in the pic on the TCS site, just in the description. They are the price they are since they're the only alternative to all the brands that break. And i'm sure i'll probably get a set one day when i get sick of breaking CVD's too. But the material is not expensive.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I did realize it included a locker either. Hmm, $150.00 is sounding alittle better all of a sudden. Anyone have pics of the locker? Pictures of everything you get maybe?

Thanks for clearing it up a little.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
0 0

cvd's
locker
outer axle bearings
outer knuckle bearings

Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

what setup do you have in there?
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Thats the 300's.

I thought you ran the HD gear romulus? That looks like the stock gearset, the HD's are black.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverkiller1 View Post
what setup do you have in there?

Really ? :-( I just read this whole thread and guess what, I'm not telling you

Nice **0 axles
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the02stangman View Post
Anyone have pics of the locker? Pictures of everything you get maybe?
Let me tell you that they are worth every penny.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:55 AM   #18
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Thats the 300's.

I thought you ran the HD gear romulus? That looks like the stock gearset, the HD's are black.
those are the Axial HD underdrive gears. i have them in front and back
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

300's hmm i might have to bite the bullet and invest in a set of these, how do you like the underdrive front and rear, i was think about doing it just rear and stock front?
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
those are the Axial HD underdrive gears. i have them in front and back
That explains alot then, and after looking at the different gearsets I got laying around I can tell thier UD's. The UD/OD gearsets are gray and not nearly as hard as the stock ratio HD set thats black. Hence why you had sucess with a dremel and all I could do was eat the teeth off all my dremel bits.