Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: LOW steering servo!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default LOW steering servo!

So I've been searching around well I build me new sling shot chassis and I want to keep things low and I found 2 guys that put the steering servo UNDER the front plate.... like DUUUUDE did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I gots pics!

First I went out to some local rocks, managed to get a few shots and the battery died in the camera.

Got home, put in new batteries, said screw it, I ain't drivin there again and decided to snap a few on the hood of my Monty. Got a couple more as it started to rain.

Then I gave up, cleaned up the workbench a bit and took the rest.

Figured I'd get them before it was all mucked up with the electronics.

and the mandatory flex shot...

Curious if anyone else has anything like this. I've noticed and SWX build like this as well but I can't see any one with VP knuckles doing it... I tried seeing ifit will work for my VP knuckles but it looks like when they're turned they'll hit the servo and I"m afraid when I push the servo back any more that the tire will hit it when turned the other way... Make sense? Any one who's tried it how did you like it?
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Kieren (aussie nerd) had a setup for bta like that, but now i have it. Contact Blade @ CrawlerX about Kieren's servo mount and they can help you out. Not all servos fit though, so keep that in mind, as well as creative steering link setup.

TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

here's what I did:

it's a BTA setup with high steer knuckles-- the tie-rod is straight across. The battery plate sits right on top of the pumpkin.

these two were in-process

Jeep-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Thats a good idea! ^^^^^

Mine will hit if you try to push the steering too much more than stock.

I've been thinking about standing it up on end. Haven't gotten much further than that though...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Thats a good idea! ^^^^^

Mine will hit if you try to push the steering too much more than stock.

I've been thinking about standing it up on end. Haven't gotten much further than that though...
Gunnar had a stand up servo on his delrin car.

Oh and Kieren's setup affords me 45* easy. My original BTA with felsenfest knuckles got e a tad more, but the servo was up top.

Last edited by TSK; 03-05-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I can vouch for my steering set up, it worked very well and achieved quite a bit of steering. Yeah it's fairly tight under there so servo choice is fairly important. Also the links have more bends than a pretzel in them, and aren't real easy to make.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
I can vouch for my steering set up, it worked very well and achieved quite a bit of steering. Yeah it's fairly tight under there so servo choice is fairly important. Also the links have more bends than a pretzel in them, and aren't real easy to make.

Kieren
Aussie, Is this something you made or purchased?
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHuffer View Post
Aussie, Is this something you made or purchased?
He made it. And it required modded RCP knuckles to work
Old 03-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks ScorpionKing, I'm going to have to give it a shot.
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Scorpion they are actually GH racing knuckles, but they are a bit tight over the axial C's I had and required sanding the inside. Also the bearings are fairly tight also. I have since got some STRC ones and they are nicer. I made all of it myself , but crawlerX may make you up the 'L' brackets if your nice. Just ask for Kieren or Aussie Nerd's steering brackets and they will know what the deal is. The links are made out of steel tubing with threaded rod fixed into place inside the tubing with and topped of with revo ends. You also need to get a CR01 threaded ball. You have to chuck it in a drill and sand it down to fit in the revo end. You need to do this as there is no room for a bolt head under the servo. It's that tight.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Gunnar had a stand up servo on his delrin car.

I really like that idea... allows me to drop the top plate down keep the servo low and run a bigger lipo for my puller! Thanks for all help guys I really appreciate it!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
I really like that idea... allows me to drop the top plate down keep the servo low and run a bigger lipo for my puller! Thanks for all help guys I really appreciate it!
The main issue Gunnar seemed to have with that setup was keeping the servo safe as it was above the tire. I think he ended up making the whole thing out of aluminum to keep it safe.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #13
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
The main issue Gunnar seemed to have with that setup was keeping the servo safe as it was above the tire. I think he ended up making the whole thing out of aluminum to keep it safe.
You mean the aluminium dog turd? It seemed so long ago....
The servo was stood up to give the huge battery some room, it worked, but not one of my better efforts, I admit. I prefer the standard servo/ batt. setup now. The super low servo is nice, but finding room now that Super 300's are out will be tough. It does look cool, but I know I could do alot of damage to the servo in that location. I think a smaller battery will be in order to get room for all the steering they offer.

So far, I think EeePee's SSS is the cleanest I've seen, but Jeep-Power's setup looks really good too, servo looks well proected.

Last edited by gunnar; 03-05-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Added info
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Ya did some messin around on my front axle tonight and it seems I can't run the stand up servo with my VP knuckles... with my axial CVDs they turn so much I'd have to move the servo so far forward that it wouldn't be much better then having a tie rod out front! I'll take a look at EeePee's and Jeep-Power's set ups and see what they did. Thanks for the help guys... may just end up running the servo on top and calling it a day.. we'll see!