Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: used AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default used AX10

I just got my Ax10 in the mail used from another member and was wondering if there is anything I should check before running it looks to be in great shape any used prerun ideas out there??
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Check your mesh between your pinion and spur gear in case the previous owner had it too tight.

grab your tools and check for any loose screws and especially the set screws on the axle yokes. They are so tiny that should one come loose while wheeling, it would be next to impossible to find ! Add some lock tight while on those as well... but other than that... just enjoy ! These things are a blast and VERY addicting !
DarinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I will do that I have been running stadium truck and onroad cars for 15 years I am getting slower so my trucks will be also:-P
Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
I will do that I have been running stadium truck and onroad cars for 15 years I am getting slower so my trucks will be also:-P
A crawler to the ankle is much less painful and easier to avoid...though much more embarassing when you can't.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
A crawler to the ankle is much less painful and easier to avoid...though much more embarassing when you can't.
now that is the quote of the year:-P
Old 03-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

x2 for quote of the year!!!!!!!
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Hoof Hearted?

Rod ends are another thing I would check. I wear those out faster than anything else. One of these days I'll quit putting off cutting my links so I can run Traxxas rod ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
True, but it's surprising how fast these things can get when gravity decides to take over. That's at least a little less embarassing.
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmasboy View Post
True, but it's surprising how fast these things can get when gravity decides to take over. That's at least a little less embarassing.
Gravity does tend to accelerate them a bit. I was thinking more along the lines of flat ground...

Look out for that crawler.

Hey, watch out man.

Seriously, its going to run into you.

Dude look out!

Its almost there!

Getting closer, you'd better move!

Only a few feet away now!

AAAAA! Look out!!!!!!

bump.

Ouch. What was that?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

its coming right for us ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....5 mins go by.....ahhhhhhhhhhhh whew that was close! battery died right before it got to me
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Give the controls to a three year old, it'll still get ya 'cos ya just dunno which way it's gonna go next! :?

Seriously, if you don't know the history of the rig you need to open the axles and the tranny and make sure they're clean and properly greased. The stock ring and pinion will turn to dust pretty quick if the grease is dry or missing. Grease can dry out over time. If it ever ran in water your bearings will be corroded too, the axles are not sealed. And check there's oil in the shocks. And think about getting the commutator cut, they wear. And.....

Shux, just pull it apart and check everything, then you'll be worry free.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Seriously, if you don't know the history of the rig you need to open the axles and the tranny and make sure they're clean and properly greased. The stock ring and pinion will turn to dust pretty quick if the grease is dry or missing. Grease can dry out over time. If it ever ran in water your bearings will be corroded too, the axles are not sealed. And check there's oil in the shocks. And think about getting the commutator cut, they wear. And.....

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

well tore apart the tranny, axles and shocks they all looked like they had fresh grease in it and shocks were full of fluid so I will be waiting till the radio gets here
Old 03-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post

Cheers.
well tore apart the tranny, axles and shocks they all looked like they had fresh grease in it and shocks were full of fluid so I will be waiting till the radio gets here[/QUOTE]

I went through the entire rig before I put it up for sale in the classified section. Glad to hear you checked for yourself though, that is always the best bet when it comes to buying used parts or rigs.
RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I went through the entire rig before I put it up for sale in the classified section. Glad to hear you checked for yourself though, that is always the best bet when it comes to buying used parts or rigs.[/QUOTE]

well it did look good and I got a chance to see the inner workings of the truck so it was as much a learning experience as it was a grease check
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=smokediver;well it did look good and I got a chance to see the inner workings of the truck so it was as much a learning experience as it was a grease check[/QUOTE]

That is the best way to get to know your rig, and to tune it to your type of crawling.

If your wondering, the new grease is Mobil 1 synthetic. If you have any more questions, please feel free to pm me anytime.
RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCrawler View Post
its coming right for us ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....5 mins go by.....ahhhhhhhhhhhh whew that was close! battery died right before it got to me
the first austin powers movie comes to mind, when the guy gets run over by the roller
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
the first austin powers movie comes to mind, when the guy gets run over by the roller
"A Fish Called Wanda"!

smokediver, thanks man, you made my day by doing that, and I'm glad the new rig is A-OK!

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

alright just had first test drive it runs great climbs good just doesnt turn worth a crap.. off to search