Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 4 linked it and I think its crooked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 4 linked it and I think its crooked

Before everyone gets to upset on this I want to be sure and let you all know I did a search for 4 link geometry, and 4 link alignment and did not find much out there. So here goes. I 4 linked the rear with a servo plate designed just for that purpose and I also used a traxxis link with ball ends already included and I think my truck is crooked. In just looking at the back of my truck uncompressed it looks like the tires are slightly to the left. When I push down on the suspension it looks like it is much worse. I tried twisting a bit on stuff and a tweek here and there and I just can't seam to get it. I am pretty sure my lower links are exactly the same. I know my uppers are good too. On thing I am noticing is that the axle looks a little twisted backwards a bit. I am loosing the forest for the trees on this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Pictures would probably help more.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

basicly make sure the links are the same length and that your mounting them in the same holes on both sides, and that the links are bolted on the same way on the axle. also measure the wheelbase, and pick a couple points and measure across the rear suspension (lower link mount on axle to skidplate) from left to right, then right to left, it should be the same. if all that checks out, the truck is square.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Did you mount one under the plate and one over? If so, you'll need to lenthen the one that goes on top to realign the axle with the rig. I just use shims or washers between the rod and the end.

Don't worry about it rotating the axle up. As long as the driveshaft isn't too far out of line its fine. Its not terribly important in the rear.

And yeah, pics are always nice.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Both Sharky and Duuuuuuuude have good points, it is all on link length, also just to make sure I would measure the rig in an X form to ensure that it is square.

First put it upside down, then take the wheels off, then measure front left to rear right, then front right to rear left from the edge of the axles, your number should be the same, and if not just keep messing with link length, it's a no brainer.

Don't give up and have fun
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Is it really crucial with a crawler that the suspension geometry be absolutley square, i have the rear of my rig in a staggered four link configuration, one link on top one on bottom of plate.
Its a small amount out of square but it really keeps torque twist under control. I dont really notice any ill effects. i could imagine it would be unstable if it was as fast as my Nitro rustler, but it is a crawler
brokeitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks all for the help. I do have pictures and I will see if I can get them in here asap. I am pretty darn sure my lower links are the exact same length. I am also pretty sure my upper links started out the same but I am running the left on the underside as discussed so it is probably having an impact on the actauly length as discussed. I am going to measure it up a bunch again and see what comes out on top. Thanks for all the help an ideas.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeitagain View Post
Is it really crucial with a crawler that the suspension geometry be absolutley square, i have the rear of my rig in a staggered four link configuration, one link on top one on bottom of plate.
Its a small amount out of square but it really keeps torque twist under control. I dont really notice any ill effects. i could imagine it would be unstable if it was as fast as my Nitro rustler, but it is a crawler
If its working, don't mess with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I am also pretty sure my upper links started out the same but I am running the left on the underside as discussed so it is probably having an impact on the actauly length as discussed.
Left? It should be the right that is under the plate. Unless you are looking at it from the front.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #9

Default Rod Ends??

Are you using the same length of rod ends all the way around??
gernade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Pictures would probably help more.
x2.
Krazee DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jsc View Post