Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Whats the difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #1

Default Whats the difference?

Hey guys, first time posting but ive been lurking for a month or so. I bought an HPI Crawler king on a spur of the moment decision without doing any research and quickly found out that its garbage when compared to other complete kits.

So basically my question is this, whats the difference between all the axial kits besides the bodies? I see that some include electronics and some dont, but other than that they all look the same. I like the honcho kit but it says its for trails, and the scorpion is for competitions, so how does the scorpion out perform the honcho?

I dont want to waste money on another kit if im going to have to upgrade everything later on is my point, so whats my best option? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give to steer me in the right direction.
Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default ...

I'd buy the cheapest which i think is the green kit (no electrics and comes with the old school pickup truck body).

You'll find that you end up upgrading everything over time anyway.

The RTR and RTC come with electrics but are very basic and you will want to change pretty quick.

With the ARTR and the green alloy'd kit you get the metal gears, diff lockers, links etc.

Best way out would be get one of these kits.
Get a Tekin FXR combo (35t motor) for $114
Get a Spektrum DX3E radio/receiver for $99
Buy hot bodies rover tires
next i'd definately get a set of little lipo batteries and get the front elctronics tray to mount them and the servo on the axle
Hitec HS-645MG is a good servo for only $25-$30

This will all add up though to $400-$450. If your budget only allows $250 or so, then i'd just get the RTR or RTC kit and atleast you can use it straight away.

Which ever way you go, you'll find like most of us here that after a while only the axles and tranny still remain from whatever you first pruchased.

Good luck
axeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

x2 on the above post
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

If you like the Honcho, the first thing you need to do is decide what type of crawler you really want......The SCX series are scalers, and the AX series is more of a competition style truck. Both are a blast, but very different. Once you decide on what type of crawling you want to do, then you can start to narrow your choices of which kit to get.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I started with the rtc and have been using this site for all the info I could use. I would recommend buying a star so that you could see the for sale section and upgrade your crawler from there, way cheaper than a hobby store.
motojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Why not put a little work into the WK and make it more capable? You've already got the axles, so pick up a better chassis, maybe an Axial transmission, and build your own? Building is half the fun with these.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #7

Ok so the RTR and the RTC are out right away, I dont want to spend $250 on a kit and replace the electronics if I can just buy a rolling chassis. I like the scale aspect, but im much more into function before fashion, so that takes out the SXC10 if its not as capable. Will the hpi stuff bolt onto an axial chassis? I might end up doing that since ive already got axels etc like you said. Thats my biggest issue with the WK, the COG is so high if it goes past a 45 degree incline the thing flips over.

Motojeep, what do you mean 'buy a star'? I was looking for a for sale section but only found the vendor area.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default ...

You can buy a star for this site which gives you instant access to the for sale section and lets you do other stuff too. You can wait till you have made 30 posts and you will be able to access it too.

heres a link
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/payments.php

Id use all your electrics from the wheelie king but i wouldnt go using HPI axles on the AX10.
axeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Why not put a little work into the WK and make it more capable? You've already got the axles, so pick up a better chassis, maybe an Axial transmission, and build your own? Building is half the fun with these.
I agree, a mate of mine has the CK and it is a capable truck out of the box with a few small tweaks. With a bit of research/reading and a bit of time spent on a few simple modfs the CK gets a lot better.

From there you can go nuts and do a new chassis, links etc.

It has been said above that you have a fairly good set of axles and trans so now you can make a pretty good crawler from that.
I would.
Simon.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have to agree with previous posts. There is a seperate tech section for Wheely King/Crawler King on here, and it's been around for a long time so there's lotsa info, ideas, upgrades and support for it. You have it now, so just run with it. If you swap it for an Axial you will be doing all the same kinda stuff to upgrade that too. It never ends, ya know?

For now, run what ya brung! Enjoy.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=Local;2350379] I like the scale aspect, but im much more into function before fashion, so that takes out the SXC10 if its not as capable. QUOTE]

Don't be fooled by the looks, these are very capable trucks. have a look in the vid section & utube. a good driver with a scx10 will keep up with a ax10.

[QUOTE=Local;2350379] Will the hpi stuff bolt onto an axial chassis? I might end up doing that since ive already got axels etc like you said. Thats my biggest issue with the WK, the COG is so high if it goes past a 45 degree incline the thing flips over.QUOTE]

Everything can be made to work, the only question is how much work you need to put into it.
If it flips over it ain't set up right : lower the GC or if it's low already make it softer. move the batt forward & lower if possible(onto the links or chassis rails, even if you use zip ties or tape or a rubber band, it's a temp fix to see if it changes the way the rig behaves on the rocks. After that you can work on a more permanent fix.
hope this helps.

Last edited by big_boss; 03-11-2010 at 10:20 PM.
big_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #12

Yeah I was looking at the battery tray today, i could probably zip tie it to the front axle long ways and see if that helps at all. For now I think ill stick with the CK, then maybe I'll start buying odds and ends for a custom build once I have a little more knowledge and experience. Im on here as much as possible, filling my brain with as much information I can, so I really appreciate you guys' input on this even though i know its a dull subject.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

maybe this will help,hpi has a kit that extends the wheel base and you just switch the front to the back so your battery and weight is now up front.HPI part#87632 is a complete kit $79.99 from HPI but i'm sure you could find it cheaper somewhere else.
bigheadandmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'd say to keep what you have, too. You've already got the axles and if you don't want to use the Crawler King trans an Axial trans can be had for $30 or so. Then it's just a matter of getting a good chassis and making everything work. No sense in buying a complete new kit and starting over.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I was in the same shoes.... I ended up selling the crawler king and getting the rtr scrop... keep in mind i have already put around 400.00 including purchase of axial... but i like the axial alot better...

just my 2 cents....
RockGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #16

Just an update, I think I'm gonna stick with the CK for now and start buying pieces here and there to build a custom rig. once I get some parts ill probably use the CK axels and such. I really appreciate yalls input and heping me decide what path is best for me, thanks again.