Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Axial BTA kit install issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Axial BTA kit install issues

Just wondering if anyone else has had the issues that I just had installing this Axial BTA kit.

Took me 5 hours and a lot of cutting and grinding to make this work. I had to use my skrc 4 link plate becuase the bta link lined up with the stock 3 link mount and didn't clear. I had to cut off the 3 link and the back screw mount from my axle. I had to then cut and grind my skrc 4 link plate to make clearance. I had to grind a lot off the brand new btc link so that it would clear the outer post mounts to give me proper steering. And I had to grind the bottom of my outer servo mount and a little off the bottom of the servo in the same area so that the rod end on the servo arm would clear and travel under the servo and plate.

I'm very disappointed with all the hacking and grinding I had to do to this brand new kit made my axial for an axial. I was warned not to buy this buy a few people and had a few other say that it was good. If I made mistakes then my fault but I did spend alot of the 5 hours studying and trying different things to make sure that the hacking I did would be necessary and I feel it was.

So as mentioned at the top. I'm just wondering if others have had these problems mostly to make myself feel better.

I also noticed that after testing this on my carpet for less than 5 minutes that my hs-7950 was really hot. This is a new servo for me and i'm not sure how hot they normally get but I am now also worried that something in my bta set up could be causing it to get hot and that I could damage it. It's not humming when it's sitting still or driving straight and I did adjust the end points to where the tires are just barely hitting the shocks when turned.

I noticed some on here saying that they have a wheel wobble with this kit and I don't have that but I would say to those to check and make sure you have the proper clearances and no binding. I can see how the servo rod end not clearing under the servo and the plate could be a possible cause.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

good to know i just ordered the LD racing bta kit comes with a four like plate and tie rod and spacers from rpp ill let you know how well this works

ive already made three different drag links so i have them on hand and grinded off the outter screw holes on the knucks
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:56 AM   #3

hmm i just ordered that kit yesterday. in the pictures on their site it doesn't look like they did any grinding. i guess i'll have to see when it gets here.

http://axialracing.com/ftp/ax10options/ax30533_behind-the-axle_bta.html
dirty_tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I would say post some pictures of your setup. This kit is a direct bolt on with no hacking or grinding required.
chris4207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

ok, i'm headed out to work but i'll work on getting some pics of my problem areas when i get home for people to see.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Hoof Hearted?

I have the Axial bta kit, and had no problems putting it on my rig. No grinding or cutting. Just opened the package and bolted it up. The steering movement is super smooth, and my 7955 has no problems straining, or getting hot.
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Im Brandon

Post up some pics when you get a chance so I can check them out. Something else must be going on, the BTA's I have installed did not have any issues. Hopefully I will be able to help you out
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
"HOLLYWOOD"

Don't mean to Hi-Jack your thread but Brandon is there a way to fix the extreme wobble when going in reverse? My front end shakes like it's Dirty Dancing...
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini View Post
Don't mean to Hi-Jack your thread but Brandon is there a way to fix the extreme wobble when going in reverse? My front end shakes like it's Dirty Dancing...
We have tried on multiple setups and still have not been able to replicate the wobble to the extent that you (and 1 other as far as I know) are explaining. Anything rubbing at full lock?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
We have tried on multiple setups and still have not been able to replicate the wobble to the extent that you (and 1 other as far as I know) are explaining. Anything rubbing at full lock?
You sound like your working for Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini View Post
Are you running a three link in the front. I know mine had some axial rotation when I went front forward to reverse.

Last edited by sally1800; 03-18-2010 at 09:26 AM.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
"HOLLYWOOD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Nope noigthing is rubbing but today when I get home will post pics and a short video so you can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
Are you running a three link in the front. I know mine had some axial rotation when I went front forward to reverse.

I have no choice for now have to run 3 link until I mod something for 4 link.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

well, for some reason I can't get my pics to upload on here.....I'll work on that.

In the mean time do any of you have pics of your "trouble free" bta set ups. Maybe by seeing some that had no problems I can figure out why mine isn't right.

Also I ran it today and noticed that there is alot of play in the front now, It's making all the screws come loose on the c hub, the linkage, and the knuckles. I'm going to locktite everything but usually my c hub screws never came loose before the bta.......at least not this quick. without locktite I'm getting about 5 minutes of run time before my front is basically sloppy and my wheels are pointing in different directions.

I think i'm gonna go back to normal steering until I can figure this out. I've got 2 comps this weekend and am not confident that this will hold up. I'm still especially worried about the temp of the servo. It got hot again today.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have the BTA steering and not haveing any of these problems. I have the hitec servo 7995tg. Maybe it the servo?
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
I have the BTA steering and not haveing any of these problems. I have the hitec servo 7995tg. Maybe it the servo?
the servo is only a small part of the problem i'm having but it's a big concern because the servo costs twice as much as this bta kit. I'm looking into the servo gonna do some testing with the steering set up in front again and see if it gets as hot in the normal stock set up.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Not sure if you know but the kit is for 3 link? If your trying to use it with a 4 link plate that is probably the problem?

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #16
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Hmm, I wonder if you mounted the servo the wrong way? As Brandon said, really need to see pics of what you did. Other than the typical 4 link plate mod, most of the kits I've seen mount with no problems.

Last edited by gunnar; 03-19-2010 at 12:39 AM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Not sure if you know but the kit is for 3 link? If your trying to use it with a 4 link plate that is probably the problem?

Kieren
I tried to go 3 link and the 3 link mount was right in the way........I agree that there must be something in my set up. I'll keep trying to get pics posted.

Would still love to see some pics from those of you that had no problems so I could use them as a guide perhaps so I can re do mine
Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James003 View Post
I tried to go 3 link and the 3 link mount was right in the way........I agree that there must be something in my set up. I'll keep trying to get pics posted.

Would still love to see some pics from those of you that had no problems so I could use them as a guide perhaps so I can re do mine
How's your caster? If your upper links are to long it'll cause it to hit, that's where pics would help a bunch.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

WOW!!! I am happy and extremely embarrassed to say I figured out the problem.

I had NO IDEA that the C-HUBS are offset. I out of dumb luck took everything apart and realized this immediately. I switched the c-hubs and I have plenty of clearance now. All my hacking and grinding was for nothing and I took a brand new part and beat it up for nothing lol. Well at least it still works so i'm good.

Well if nothing else I hope my thread will help someone else from making this same goofy mistake that I just made. Maybe Axial could put in their instructions to make sure you have your c-hubs on the right sides lol. Would help us dummies out for sure.

still can't get pics to load........any how too's for dummies on that lol
Old 03-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by James003 View Post
WOW!!! I am happy and extremely embarrassed to say I figured out the problem.

still can't get pics to load........any how too's for dummies on that lol
Glad to see you got it figured out!

As far as pictures, what website are you using to host your images?
Example: Photobucket (my choice), Imageshack, Tinypic, etc.
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote