Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: long winded ARTR upgrade questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default long winded ARTR upgrade questions

First off, this is what I've got: ARTR, TEKIN FXR 55T, Castle BEC, Panther Leopards with the ARTR memory foams, Axial white springs, Thunderpower 200mah 3S Extreme V2 (pretty much takes up the battery plate but it doesn't seem too heavy). I'm running 4.6oz per tire.

This is what I've tried so far: I've cut the corners out of the motor moutning plate to move the lower links inside the frame. I've also lengthened the rear upper links and mounted them to an axial battery plate. Seems to work to reduce torque twist. I was going to flip the transmission tonight for something to do.

Here's my question: I'm toying with the idea of a changing out the chassis with something like a vanquish or SWX but with the stock 30 degree links (I'm running them front and rear) would it make the total length too much? I'd rather not replace all of the links, but would like to see what a new chassis would do, yet keep the stock shocks and see if I could get the ride height a little bit lower (it's at 3").

Sooner than later I plan on trying out the BTA steering and making a makeshift plate to run 4-link in the front. Future plans are also for a VP dig. I think I'm also going to try regular foams in the tires, the memory foams seem not supportive enough.

Would the chassis be worth it or should I just focus on rounding out what I've got? To put it in perspective, I don't compete with it, it's just a toy for my son and I to play with.

D
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The best way to kill torque steer is to change out the stock chassis, from what I've found. I wouldn't worry so much about keeping those bent links if it's a matter of not being able to run a different chassis. There's always the option to sell of used parts, if that's the issue.

I love my Slingshot, but you'll need to run different shocks if you go that route. The SWX has been a good chassis kit, though, so I would hesitate to run that one.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Suck it up!

You can actually do quite a bit with the stock chassis if you're willing to spend the time and do some minor surgery.

Properly set up 4 links and shocks will do wonders for TT.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The SWX chassis comes with links, you might also look into the East End Machining SNG Droop Chassis, it is designed to use all of your stock lower links. Here is a link to the chassis http://www.eastendmachining.com/sngshchforax.html
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

swx chassis with the right spring combo will fix torq steer.
roninwarrior555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I went 4-link on my chassis and that helped some with torque twist... 3-link and the stock chassis is asking for troubles out of the box... no questions asked As for axle steer... get a nice dual triangulation skid, that does wonders for it, as for a chassis, it can make a difference but its up to you on spending the $ or not
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I tried the tanny mirror mod and 4-linked the front using the stock servo plate and some longer links. Now when I goose the throttle on flat ground there is no lifting of the right front tire to speak of. On steep climbs though, the right front tire lifts up a bit.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Mine is only four linked in the rear, and three link in the front and works awesome. You may want to try some shorter shocks if you are still running the stock ARTC shocks. Something closer to 4" like Losi crawler shocks and, then start to experment with oil weight. I run 30wt front and 50wt in the rear.

This is kinda one of those things, that its what ever works best for "YOU". Try setting the truck up different and only make one small change at a time to see what help and what dosn't.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 04-07-2010 at 04:50 PM.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote